The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 11-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Angry Auto bailout

All this talk about bailing out the automakers got me to thinking. Why do we need so many models and for that matter, automakers that make the same thing? Take for example, GMC; aren't these just fancied up Chevy's? Do away with the whole division! If you want a fancier Chevy Suburban go to JC Whitney - same thing. And why do we need Mercury? Another fancied up Ford. See JC Whitney.
And why do we need so many models per division? Walk into a Chevy dealer and there must be 8 or so different models, not counting Corvette! It seems that when someone gets a fart crosswise, they make a model for it. What was wrong with the Cavalier? For that matter what was wrong with the Corvair? I can still remember walking into a Chevy dealer and there were three choices, coupe, sedan or convertible. Again, not counting trucks or Corvette.

How about those big salaries? I say tie their salary into profit. Division makes a profit, give the CEO a percentage. Doesn't make a profit, ding! Comes out of next quarters salary. And no bonuses, want more money? Make more profit!!!

Anybody else???
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
dvdcta

Name :
dvdcta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres712 View Post
All this talk about bailing out the automakers got me to thinking. Why do we need so many models and for that matter, automakers that make the same thing? Take for example, GMC; aren't these just fancied up Chevy's? Do away with the whole division! If you want a fancier Chevy Suburban go to JC Whitney - same thing. And why do we need Mercury? Another fancied up Ford. See JC Whitney.
And why do we need so many models per division? Walk into a Chevy dealer and there must be 8 or so different models, not counting Corvette! It seems that when someone gets a fart crosswise, they make a model for it. What was wrong with the Cavalier? For that matter what was wrong with the Corvair? I can still remember walking into a Chevy dealer and there were three choices, coupe, sedan or convertible. Again, not counting trucks or Corvette.

How about those big salaries? I say tie their salary into profit. Division makes a profit, give the CEO a percentage. Doesn't make a profit, ding! Comes out of next quarters salary. And no bonuses, want more money? Make more profit!!!

Anybody else???
dvdcta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I agree.... They need to just tighten the belt like everyone else is doing. We all didn't get dividend checks when they were doing great, so why should we all pony up for the losses via increased taxes?

If I wanted to own stock in those companies, I would have done so.....
Unread 11-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
gsdave
engineer

Name :
gsdave is on a distinguished road

Not so sure on the number of models. In the 70's, Chevrolet had Impala, Caprice, Vega, Monza, Corvette, Malibu, and Monte Carlo all at one time (not to mention all the variations on each model trim wise) In the 60's and early 70's, several models were available as hardtop (2 and 4 door), sedan (2 and 4 dr), and convertibles. The choices these days are pretty slim in my opinion compared to days of the past. Now most cars aren't even available as a 2 door and you're lucky if you get one or two engine options.

The biggest problems I see with the big three are the unions and the sheer production volume they're capable of outpaces demand (in most cases), yet the pricing does not reflect that.

Also, I think most of the amount CEO's make per year is tied to profit. I think most of them would welcome the opportunity to take a tiny salary and a larger profit sharing percentage.
gsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdave View Post
Not so sure on the number of models. In the 70's, Chevrolet had Impala, Caprice, Vega, Monza, Corvette, Malibu, and Monte Carlo all at one time (not to mention all the variations on each model trim wise) In the 60's and early 70's, several models were available as hardtop (2 and 4 door), sedan (2 and 4 dr), and convertibles. The choices these days are pretty slim in my opinion compared to days of the past. Now most cars aren't even available as a 2 door and you're lucky if you get one or two engine options.

The biggest problems I see with the big three are the unions and the sheer production volume they're capable of outpaces demand (in most cases), yet the pricing does not reflect that.

Also, I think most of the amount CEO's make per year is tied to profit. I think most of them would welcome the opportunity to take a tiny salary and a larger profit sharing percentage.
When I say earlier, I ment the '50's. I fully agree about the unions but didn't want to go there. As far as the "top dogs", they draw a salary that would make the average person blush and the "bonus" is tied to their contract. The contract states "profit at the end of the year", that is why I stated "quarterly".
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Ms. AntiVenom
Vicious Evil Person

Name :
Ms. AntiVenom will become famous soon enough

It seems that when someone gets a fart crosswise, they make a model for it.
O.k. best laugh Ive had today

For that matter what was wrong with the Corvair?
Ralph Nader said

I have allot of family working assembly lines in Detroit, They have REALLY good checks, I hate to say it, they dont think its enough money, One makes like 40 bucks an hour w/ benefits. Granted they could be lying a little.

Website
------------------------------------------------------
Ms. AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
dvdcta

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. AntiVenom View Post
It seems that when someone gets a fart crosswise, they make a model for it.
O.k. best laugh Ive had today

For that matter what was wrong with the Corvair?
Ralph Nader said

I have allot of family working assembly lines in Detroit, They have REALLY good checks, I hate to say it, they dont think its enough money, One makes like 40 bucks an hour w/ benefits. Granted they could be lying a little.
TRY! 60 & they get like 75% after retirement. With 20 yrs. in THAT'S WHY YOUR DAMN VETTE COST'S SO MUCH!!!!!!......AKA THE PHANTOM!!
Unread 11-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

We need to be careful with what we say...case in point, why do we need so many varaitions of the Corvette? LT1, LT2, LT3, LT4, Z06, ZR1? Hate to say it but thats overkill as well...
Unread 11-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
dvdcta

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
We need to be careful with what we say...case in point, why do we need so many varaitions of the Corvette? LT1, LT2, LT3, LT4, Z06, ZR1? Hate to say it but thats overkill as well...
I AGREE! ONLY ONE!!!! & MAX IT OUT!!!!!!... IT'S A PERFORMANCE CAR & IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE IT,......GET A DAMN KIA!!!
Unread 11-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdcta View Post
I AGREE! ONLY ONE!!!! & MAX IT OUT!!!!!!... IT'S A PERFORMANCE CAR & IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE IT,......GET A DAMN KIA!!!
Since when does price of a model have anything to do with your ability to drive it? Im sure an experienced Z06 owner with boltons can handle a ZR1.

The reason for many models, is to allow for a greater population of ownership. I know back when I had my foxbody and my srt4, driving a corvette meant youre doing good in life or youve got thick lined pockets.

Now a days anyone can own a corvette, gives everyone a chance to experience one of the greatest cars America has given to the world. If all GM did was build one corvette and make it balls to the wall(aka the ZR1), how many corvette owners do you think there would be at this very same time. I dont see a lot of normal 9-5ers shellling out 125k+ for a car that wont be used as a daily driver, nor be used as it was designed for.

I always wanted a corvette ever since i rode in my uncles 74. One of the coolest cars, but it was always the car i would get during my "mid-life crisis", or retiring. Due to unfortunate events in my life my mid life crisis came at age of 25, and of course with the economy hurting i took advantage and bought one. Best car ive ever had until i started modding it lol.

I do see the point the point in canceling "luxury" models Mercury to Ford, GMC to Chevy. They were just catering to the snobby pricks who didnt wanna drive what everyone else was. I knew some people like that, would always say their mountaineer was greater then a regular explorer cause it had awd. Little did they know some explorers also came with awd but w/e. The companies should looked more at it, spend billions to cater to a few. Dodge is smart by dropping the viper soon so the money saved on them to upgrade like a base model car to a sxt level and make the sxt even nicer. Thats what ford/gm need to do.

The british car shows mainly clarksons lame arse always criticizes american cars for cheap plastic interior. Well GM should drop GMC line, and idk maybe start using quality leather inside the corvette atleast. Shame my car already has a good size hole in one of the bolsters but again w/e. I see it as a performance car, not a luxury car. Give lower end eco cars and midsize family cars upgrades. Use a real navigation system not a 2500 option that is useless compared to a 200$ garmin handheld unit.

I say let the auto companies fail, make them experience what small time business owners feel when they screw up their expenses, you dont see the government bailing them out. Treat it like a video game, if you lose(close down) hit the reset button and start from the bottom, but this time using the knowledge of not screwing up this time to build a better company.

Ok time for me to end rant.