The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 05-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation
Default This Z is messing with me...

Sorry in advance for the rant, but this is really bugging me.

So a few months back I was doing some suspension work on my 87 300ZX. Stupidly, I didn't order the new springs until the day I took the suspension apart. And then they were on back order. So the Z sits on jack stands for a few weeks. After a while I get a bit frustrated with the down time and declare confidently that once this is done, I won't be spending any money on (this) Z. Being the dumb sucker I am, I say this in front of the Z in question. This apparently pissed it off, since it likes talking 50% of my income. It's like a really, really, really bad marriage. And it's all torn apart and on blocks, so it's like that marriage but to a really ugly shrew.

Anyway, one of the things I decide to replace for no good reason whatsoever while I was waiting on the springs was the oil pressure sending unit. This fact becomes important later. So once I get the Z on the ground with the new springs, I test drive it up and down the driveway and all seems well. So I figure I will go to Z Buddy # 5's place of business to happily show of the completed project. After leaving towards home, he calls me and said that there was oil under my car. So I get home and pop under my "precious vehicle" to find oil leaking. Also, at idle the oil pressure gauge reads 0psi. Looks like the rear main seal. It is the rear main seal.

For those not familiar with what a blown out rear main seal means, it means pulling the engine, or pulling the transmission. I chose the latter. I figure since I have to pull it due to the $14 seal taking a ****, I might as well put in that rebuilt transmission I have sitting around. And if that is out I might as well replace the clutch and pressure plate. And while the slave was changed when the transmission originally in the car was rebuilt (shortly after100k, I'm at 120k), I might as well replace it. And if I'm replacing that, might as well do the master. And if I replace all that, it would be a shame to leave those old lines in there...

Figuring my gauge reading issue was due to some little rear main seal chunks fouling the tip of the sending unit, I replace it. I pull out the tired sending unit with 25 miles on it for a new unit. Then I refinish the flywheel and throw everything back together. This takes longer than expected since the tranny wasn't playing nice, and my neighbor broke his toe the week I was doing, doing what I was doing. So I talk to the neighbor and arrange to borrow a tranny jack. More waiting. Z's been down for over a month now, just for the seal.

So everything is back together and happy. The car starts a bit rough, which is okay I think since it's basically been sitting with an empty tank for 3 months. It quickly gets a smooth idle and in a short test drive it seems a bit hesitant, but that cleared up quickly too. Park it under the tree and let it idle. Everything looks good on the gauges, and are still that way when I come back out the house with the wallet. I figured I'd run her down to town and get new tint since mine is starting to peel.

First thing I notice when I pull out on the highway is that the speedometer isn't working. Whoops. I figure I screwed up the install somehow and it popped out. Not wanting to run the tranny dry and destroy it, I turn around. But is that the end of my trouble? Oh no, that would be too easy. When the engine drops to idle, the gauge reads zero. And as a special bonus loyalty voucher, I get the oil pressure idiot light this time too! Yay! So I skedaddle home, wondering why the engine isn't knocking. The oil level is where it should be. There aren't any leaks anywhere.

What caused this, you ask? I have no clue. But... I was dumb enough to say, in front of the Z once again, that I was going to stop spending money on her after the seal was replaced. Apparently this is not a kosher thing to do. So the b***h gets jealous; but I can't scare her with threats of parting out, selling, junking, or sitting. Great.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Dick
My two boo's \/

Name :
Dick has disabled reputation

You gotta love the Z cars. With the b/s mine put me through, there's still a special place in my heart for her.

BTW, i've got a set of TSS springs Id like to get rid of if you know anyone that would like them. . . They were the stiffest springs you could get last time I was on the Z boards. . .
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

Yea, I'd be able to find you a buyer for those. TSS went out of business not too long ago, which is a damned shame cause of what work they did. What are the specs and mileage on them?
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote