The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 09-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough
Default Civil vs. Criminal

This was posted in another part of the forum:

Quote:
As for the criminal part of this issue, I have been through it all trying to get charges brought aganist the ex-partner that made off with over $100k (total of nearly $250,000 is missing) but all came down to the same thing. "It's a civil matter". Same with the guy I sold the big race rig to and finianced it for...he made payments for 1 year and then quit paying. $250k rig gone and no law enforcement agency will help. Again, "It's a civil matter". Between the 2 of them it wiped me out of everything....Atty starts at $10k retainer and thats just the start.
There's apparently a huge misunderstanding between what constitutes a criminal and civil act that needs to be rectified.

I'll break these down by situation:
Quote:
Same with the guy I sold the big race rig to and finianced it for...he made payments for 1 year and then quit paying. $250k rig gone and no law enforcement agency will help. Again, "It's a civil matter". Between the 2 of them it wiped me out of everything....Atty starts at $10k retainer and thats just the start
In this matter, although quasi-criminal (if the investigator and SAO were were a tinkers dam, but that's another story), it remains in the civil realm for the following reason.

1) It's contractural in nature from the outset. There was an agreed price to be paid, an amount over time to be paid, and a finance agreement in force.
What the person did, is considered a breach of contract. It "may" in matters of civil litigation, be considered "civil theft" and as such, my be recoverable as treble damages. Unfortunately, if they POS that took off with the rig had the $$$, he'd probably pay the bill. Trying to get $$ out of a turnip is generally not profitable for anyone other than the attorneys.

This is the same reasoning that allows defaulting on a home loan to result in a foreclosure and not jail time.

The poster could have:

1) Gone forward with a law suit, obtained a judgement and filed a lien. Then started looking at the defendant's assets to determine what he has that may be recoverable through writs of replevin, garnishments, etc.

2) Assuming that the initial paperwork (financing agreement) was done correctly, the poster could have done a reposession and recovered the rig that way.

In the other situation:

Quote:
trying to get charges brought aganist the ex-partner that made off with over $100k (total of nearly $250,000 is missing)
Again it's contratural. The poster and the POS were "co-owners", "partners" if you will, in the business (if I'm reading the above information correctly?) and have/had an equal share and stake in the profits of the business, and the inventory.

It's not impossible to determine who did what, but it's generally not worth law enforcements time. The time allotment that would be required to sift through the partnership agreements and such is phenominal, and usually, outside the ability, capability and understanding of the average detective, even many of the white collar types.

It generally takes an attorney, not just any attorney, but someone skilled in the practice of business law, to seperate the wheat from the chaff in these cases.
Even then, most judges won't be able to make a ruling without taking the matter "under advisement" and having his/her JA or paralegals do some research.
Civil matters as this can be quite complex.

In the first matter, the one regarding the rig, the poster wouldn't need an attorney. This could be handled by anyone with all the necessary documentation, thier ducks in a row, and the willingness to file the necessary paperwork.
Cases like this are brought "pro-se" all the time

To conclude:

The biggest difference between criminal and civil, is intent.

Sloppy workmanship, poor business practices, and lousy costomer service, are not criminal.
While it "may" violate some BS administrative law that has criminal implications as an aside, it's generally going to be treated as civil in nature.
As I said before, unless put on the spot, all the state is going to be interested in, is the $$$$$.
(They may take criminal actions in the other case because too many people know about it and have made complaints, and it's an election year.)

However,

Intentionally charging for parts/work not supplied, converting (in this case) parts to one's own use, or conversion for ones own profit, the assets of another, is CRIMINAL.

Failure to meet time lines, refusing to pay for something agreed upon by contract, or a dispute over ownership, especially between 2 or more "partners" is CIVIL.

In the other section, you have BOTH

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Last edited by Shadow; 09-26-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote