The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Frame rails

Heck, this looked like a good idea to me:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Frame_rails.html

So I ordered a set for my C5Z and the C6.

Today I decided to install them on the C6, so I unwrapped a set, read over the instructions again, and gathered up my tools. Then hauled all that stuff over to the garage. No, I don't have tools nor a workbench over there yet....

Originally I was thinking I could just hold them in place and mark the holes to be drilled in the frame, so I went and bought a special set of stubby drill bits and a special low profile angle drill for the job. Then thinking further about it, I thought perhaps I could put them in place and just raise the lift arms to hold them in place and then lift the car high enough so I could more easily drill the holes while the rails were in place.

So I started doing this, and started with the passenger side first. Put the rail in place and... well wait a minute.... the rail doesn't come down past the lip of the rocker panel. Shy maybe around an eighth of an inch. As for the lift puck parts of the rail, well, I would STILL have to use a lifting puck with this thing..... Dang.... So let's see what they driver's side looks like. Uh... well it does clear the rocker panel lip, but only *maybe* about a 32nd of an inch at the front end. And again, I would still need to use lift pucks. Double dang...

Well, my C5Z is still at Chris's shop, so I guess maybe I can eyeball that tomorrow when I run out there. Might take a tape measure so I can take measurements, but unless it clears the rocker panel by at least a quarter of an inch I can't see the utility of these things. I mean, the car would have to be nearly perfectly level if you jumped a curb to keep the rocker panels from getting damaged with that small of a safety margin. Even a quarter of an inch is pushing the limits of safety, in my opinion.

So heck. Another supposedly good idea shot to hell by facts. I just don't understand it. I researched these things online, and all of the reviews were favorable, but what the heck??? Do I have a reverse Midas touch or something? Everything golden that I touch turns to crap?

Oh well, I've contacted Elite Engineering about this to see what they'll do about at least one return. I may just exchange them for regular lifting pucks and be done with it. At least their sets look nice.......