The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 12-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRC Tom
Don't have a number, last time on the dyno the tires were spinning and had to shut it down.
Breaks the tires lose on the hwy when the boost kicks in from a 100 mph roll out.
Damn!!! Guess we now know why you need a clutch and some transmission work, eh?
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #12
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Damn!!! Guess we now know why you need a clutch and some transmission work, eh?
WHat He said!!!
Unread 12-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
Rich Z

Quote:
I don't know if you caught that other thread where Greg at AntiVenom (who installed the STS kit for me) talked to some STS reps and they are going to replace my turbos with ball bearing models AND have the housings hot coated. That is great of STS and outstanding of Greg to have paved the way for this to happen.... I simply made a comment that if I had had this to do all over again, THOSE are the two things I would definitely do.
I need to correct a mistake I made in understanding what Greg was telling me. STS is not offering to replace the entire turbos with the ball bearing style. They are offering to replace the exhaust side HOUSINGS with ones that are apparently more efficient at moving gases and should allow them turbos to spool up quicker. Greg also is going to send them out to have the hot coated before putting them on my car. Greg says they should be pretty close to bringing the spooling to the ball bearing style turbo response.

Anyway, I wanted to correct this wrong assumption I made before anyone else started going to Greg or STS wanting their turbos replaced in a like manner....... Sorry about that......
Unread 12-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #14
FRC Tom

Name : Thomas Feuerherm
FRC Tom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I need to correct a mistake I made in understanding what Greg was telling me. STS is not offering to replace the entire turbos with the ball bearing style. They are offering to replace the exhaust side HOUSINGS with ones that are apparently more efficient at moving gases and should allow them turbos to spool up quicker. Greg also is going to send them out to have the hot coated before putting them on my car. Greg says they should be pretty close to bringing the spooling to the ball bearing style turbo response.

Anyway, I wanted to correct this wrong assumption I made before anyone else started going to Greg or STS wanting their turbos replaced in a like manner....... Sorry about that......
Rich,
I saw that post but did not want to interject. The base system is a 48mm trim which as you know kicks butt. What you are going to get is 36mm exhaust sides which will spool the turbos faster than the 48mm.
I talk with Rick owner of STS once or twice a month and to date my car is still the only one that has the true ball bearing turbos from his company and it was not a freebe upgrade. Actully I started with their upgraded 60 trim turbos as I wanted 1000 rwhp out of my 408 that I built to handle 20 psi of boost but the 60s stil did not spool fast enough for me.
For one BB Turbos are not only oil injected for cooling but need coolant run through them. This is one of the other things that Greg has to fabricate for my car, coolant lines running from the front of my car back to the turbos.
My car for years has been the R&D car for Antivenom and all good things come to those who wait.

You will enjoy the new exhaust sides, but you better hang on.
By the way did I tune her allright?
FRC Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2006, 03:44 AM   #15
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRC Tom
Rich,
I saw that post but did not want to interject. The base system is a 48mm trim which as you know kicks butt. What you are going to get is 36mm exhaust sides which will spool the turbos faster than the 48mm.
I talk with Rick owner of STS once or twice a month and to date my car is still the only one that has the true ball bearing turbos from his company and it was not a freebe upgrade. Actully I started with their upgraded 60 trim turbos as I wanted 1000 rwhp out of my 408 that I built to handle 20 psi of boost but the 60s stil did not spool fast enough for me.
For one BB Turbos are not only oil injected for cooling but need coolant run through them. This is one of the other things that Greg has to fabricate for my car, coolant lines running from the front of my car back to the turbos.
My car for years has been the R&D car for Antivenom and all good things come to those who wait.

You will enjoy the new exhaust sides, but you better hang on.
By the way did I tune her allright?
Tom,

Thanks for your input in this. I didn't know about the coolant lines, so certainly that would complicate things quite a bit. Since I am limiting the boost to only 6.5 lbs, I think the smaller housings will be just fine for me. I can't see me using any more boost any time soon, for fear of shortening the life of my motor. So quicker spooling would definitely be a benefit for my modest goals.

Yes, the tune seems right on the button. I have been monitoring things with my own HPTuners data cable and the AFR seems to be right on the money. Throttle response seems crisp and the rpm/power ramp up seems pretty linear. Even with the spooling now, as is, this thing is a killer on the onramp to route 10! In third or fourth gear it's like being on the takeoff run of a Boeing passenger jetliner. Just pushes you back in the seat with no HINT of leveling off!

BTW, I didn't see you at the shop when the wife and I are there. You work the night shift or something?

Thanks!