The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 11-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
Since when does price of a model have anything to do with your ability to drive it? Im sure an experienced Z06 owner with boltons can handle a ZR1.

The reason for many models, is to allow for a greater population of ownership. I know back when I had my foxbody and my srt4, driving a corvette meant youre doing good in life or youve got thick lined pockets.

Now a days anyone can own a corvette, gives everyone a chance to experience one of the greatest cars America has given to the world. If all GM did was build one corvette and make it balls to the wall(aka the ZR1), how many corvette owners do you think there would be at this very same time. I dont see a lot of normal 9-5ers shellling out 125k+ for a car that wont be used as a daily driver, nor be used as it was designed for.

I always wanted a corvette ever since i rode in my uncles 74. One of the coolest cars, but it was always the car i would get during my "mid-life crisis", or retiring. Due to unfortunate events in my life my mid life crisis came at age of 25, and of course with the economy hurting i took advantage and bought one. Best car ive ever had until i started modding it lol.

I do see the point the point in canceling "luxury" models Mercury to Ford, GMC to Chevy. They were just catering to the snobby pricks who didnt wanna drive what everyone else was. I knew some people like that, would always say their mountaineer was greater then a regular explorer cause it had awd. Little did they know some explorers also came with awd but w/e. The companies should looked more at it, spend billions to cater to a few. Dodge is smart by dropping the viper soon so the money saved on them to upgrade like a base model car to a sxt level and make the sxt even nicer. Thats what ford/gm need to do.

The british car shows mainly clarksons lame arse always criticizes american cars for cheap plastic interior. Well GM should drop GMC line, and idk maybe start using quality leather inside the corvette atleast. Shame my car already has a good size hole in one of the bolsters but again w/e. I see it as a performance car, not a luxury car. Give lower end eco cars and midsize family cars upgrades. Use a real navigation system not a 2500 option that is useless compared to a 200$ garmin handheld unit.

I say let the auto companies fail, make them experience what small time business owners feel when they screw up their expenses, you dont see the government bailing them out. Treat it like a video game, if you lose(close down) hit the reset button and start from the bottom, but this time using the knowledge of not screwing up this time to build a better company.

Ok time for me to end rant.
I agree
Unread 11-25-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
dvdcta

Name :
dvdcta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
Since when does price of a model have anything to do with your ability to drive it? Im sure an experienced Z06 owner with boltons can handle a ZR1.

The reason for many models, is to allow for a greater population of ownership. I know back when I had my foxbody and my srt4, driving a corvette meant youre doing good in life or youve got thick lined pockets.

Now a days anyone can own a corvette, gives everyone a chance to experience one of the greatest cars America has given to the world. If all GM did was build one corvette and make it balls to the wall(aka the ZR1), how many corvette owners do you think there would be at this very same time. I dont see a lot of normal 9-5ers shellling out 125k+ for a car that wont be used as a daily driver, nor be used as it was designed for.

I always wanted a corvette ever since i rode in my uncles 74. One of the coolest cars, but it was always the car i would get during my "mid-life crisis", or retiring. Due to unfortunate events in my life my mid life crisis came at age of 25, and of course with the economy hurting i took advantage and bought one. Best car ive ever had until i started modding it lol.

I do see the point the point in canceling "luxury" models Mercury to Ford, GMC to Chevy. They were just catering to the snobby pricks who didnt wanna drive what everyone else was. I knew some people like that, would always say their mountaineer was greater then a regular explorer cause it had awd. Little did they know some explorers also came with awd but w/e. The companies should looked more at it, spend billions to cater to a few. Dodge is smart by dropping the viper soon so the money saved on them to upgrade like a base model car to a sxt level and make the sxt even nicer. Thats what ford/gm need to do.

The british car shows mainly clarksons lame arse always criticizes american cars for cheap plastic interior. Well GM should drop GMC line, and idk maybe start using quality leather inside the corvette atleast. Shame my car already has a good size hole in one of the bolsters but again w/e. I see it as a performance car, not a luxury car. Give lower end eco cars and midsize family cars upgrades. Use a real navigation system not a 2500 option that is useless compared to a 200$ garmin handheld unit.

I say let the auto companies fail, make them experience what small time business owners feel when they screw up their expenses, you dont see the government bailing them out. Treat it like a video game, if you lose(close down) hit the reset button and start from the bottom, but this time using the knowledge of not screwing up this time to build a better company.

Ok time for me to end rant.
GEEZ! I didn't think you had a vette? Put some pic's up??????
dvdcta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #13
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

If i didnt have a vette id find it kinda senseless to even post here. but if i lost my vette id still post here. met nice people off this forum.

ill post pics when i get my car out of the shop. only ones i have now are crap angles and dirty. still need to find a spot in bradenton to take some sweet landscape shots.
Unread 11-26-2008, 04:38 AM   #14
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

The companies really don't make as many completely different cars as you might think. There are obvious ones like the Saturn Sky and the Pontiac Solstice. But many cars are built on the same "platform". This allows them to save production costs by having highly interchangeable parts, which means each model has to sell less to become a success.

And the fact that they bought the well designed stuff from Mazda doesn't hurt any, either.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #15
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, but I think the number of models really does hurt them in the long run. Dealer lot space is a limiting factor on what they can carry to offer to a prospective customer. Many people want to buy what is on the lot RIGHT NOW, so they can drive it home. Not order one and wait for it to get built. Personally I don't mind waiting to get exactly what I want, but that certainly does not apply to everyone. Perhaps not even a majority of people. So it behooves a dealer to try to have as wide a variety as possible to try to snag the impulse buyers coming through.

With that in mind, a lower number of offerings allows the dealer to more easily hit the target of having everything the manufacturer offers, right there on the lot. I mean, look at just the number of vehicles a dealer would have to have on the lot to have EVERYTHING offered in only the Corvette line for 2009? Four different models (C6 Coupe, C6 Convertible, Z06, ZR-1), with each exterior color option and in those each possible interior color option, as well as the various optional add-ins. Right there you are talking about a substantial commitment of lot real estate just to hold all of them. So multiply that by all the other different product lines and you have an overwhelming number of vehicles that you need to have in stock. And even when they try their best to cover all the bases, I'll be it is frustrating as hell to have a potential buyer looking for that ONE option that is not there on the lot.....
Unread 11-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #16
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, but I think the number of models really does hurt them in the long run. Dealer lot space is a limiting factor on what they can carry to offer to a prospective customer. Many people want to buy what is on the lot RIGHT NOW, so they can drive it home. Not order one and wait for it to get built. Personally I don't mind waiting to get exactly what I want, but that certainly does not apply to everyone. Perhaps not even a majority of people. So it behooves a dealer to try to have as wide a variety as possible to try to snag the impulse buyers coming through.

With that in mind, a lower number of offerings allows the dealer to more easily hit the target of having everything the manufacturer offers, right there on the lot. I mean, look at just the number of vehicles a dealer would have to have on the lot to have EVERYTHING offered in only the Corvette line for 2009? Four different models (C6 Coupe, C6 Convertible, Z06, ZR-1), with each exterior color option and in those each possible interior color option, as well as the various optional add-ins. Right there you are talking about a substantial commitment of lot real estate just to hold all of them. So multiply that by all the other different product lines and you have an overwhelming number of vehicles that you need to have in stock. And even when they try their best to cover all the bases, I'll be it is frustrating as hell to have a potential buyer looking for that ONE option that is not there on the lot.....
Yep! My son-in-law was looking for a Mazda 6 in a specific color with specific options, and none of the dealers locally had one. He had to drive about 60 miles to a dealer in Rhode Island to get the car that he wanted. The only way he was able to find it was that Mazda had an inventory list on the computer for at least new england (and maybe the entire U.S??), and they were able to search it for color and options. I think that he would have bought something else (different manufacturer) if they couldn't have found what he was looking for.
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 12:49 AM   #17
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

I about pulled what your son did. I was trying to find a Black on Black 3LT with A6(mainly the F1 paddles that i never use). I went to EVERY local car dealer and sadly the only one who bothered to check other store inventory was autoway ford. If it wasnt for me just waking up at 3am to check carmax, the next day I was gonna go buy a new model Mustang GT. I had to have ym car drop shipped from S.C to St.Pete which wasnt fun. Had to wait a week for a day drive.
Unread 11-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #18
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Florida is correct about the platforms.

If you look at a lot of models and even subcategories such as Toyota and Lexus, you'll see the same car with minor cosmetic modifications, almost entirely interchangeable body, interior and drivetrain packages....simply rebadged and the price either jacked or discounted, depending on the model.

How's this:

In 91, we bought a 91 GEO Prizm.....GM car right?

All Toyota Corolla right down to the hubcapsAbout 5-6 k less than a "Yota"

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote