The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #2111
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
The closest drag strips I know are in Gainesville, Fl., and Madison, Fl. SS Performance Group has the only dyno in the area that I'm aware of.
As I mentioned, there is no one with a dyno nearby that I am aware of that I will take my car to.
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #2112
Rich Z

Still waiting on a couple of hoses coming directly from Fragola via Summit Racing. In the mean time I found a piece of metal thick enough but not TOO thick and practiced drilling and tapping a tapered 1/8 npt hole. Actually is a piece of cake. Just don't tap using more than 2/3rds of the tap and then it looks like I'll be able to position the 90 degree fitting I want to use to point exactly in the right direction to point towards the wastegate. Just pull out the tap, test the fitting, and if not pointed in the right direction, tap a little bit more and keep on doing this till the fitting will be where I want it when TIGHT.

Oh yeah, and the new banjo bolts by Earl's came in and they are exactly the correct length to fit into the wastegates. Too bad Summit's website doesn't show actual lengths of them, otherwise I could have ordered the correct ones right off the bat.

I have to admit that with all this stuff I've had to do working on my car, dealing with fittings (fuel, air, etc.) has been the biggest pain in the butt. Besides the original two pains, of course. Anyway, I spent countless hours trying to not only figure out what I needed to do what I wanted to do, but trying to locate what I needed without knowing the lingo and nomenclature was rather tough. Sometimes I got stymied because I just could not find what I wanted, and had to go with a PLAN B. Sometimes I just had to order a couple of different things because based on the written descriptions and low res photos, it was impossible to determine if they were what I needed without having them in hand.
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #2113
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
first is a map of a T-3 "60" trim sourced from www.turbocharged.com with the above variables blotted on it.

1.68 P/R, lower RPM flow at 19.65lb/min and upper limit at 39.9lb/min
Attachment 5732
I was thinking, IF the turbo's are a true T-3 / T-4 configuration with the T-3 hot side and T-4 cold side, the T-4 60 trim cold setup does work OK with your numbers, but you could benefit from more boost or less back pressure. it takes more exhaust drive pressure to drive the larger T-4 compressor wheel when using a T-3 turbine and exhaust housing than a T-3 compressor wheel and T-3 turbine and exhaust housing........

Name:  Fig16.gif
Views: 1692
Size:  22.3 KB
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #2114
Rich Z

Quote:
I was thinking, IF the turbo's are a true T-3 / T-4 configuration with the T-3 hot side and T-4 cold side, the T-4 60 trim cold setup does work OK with your numbers, but you could benefit from more boost or less back pressure. it takes more exhaust drive pressure to drive the larger T-4 compressor wheel when using a T-3 turbine and exhaust housing than a T-3 compressor wheel and T-3 turbine and exhaust housing........

Attachment 5740
Well, they are SUPPOSED to be Garrett T3/T4 turbos. What should I check for to be certain? As soon as the two hoses I am waiting for come in, I'll be pulling off the compressor housings to drill and tap the holes for the wastegate plumbing.
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #2115
Benjamin

you can measure the inducer and exducer on the compressor side to verify the trim is correct and to know what sizes they are for future reference...

Unread 08-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #2116
Rich Z

Quote:
you can measure the inducer and exducer on the compressor side to verify the trim is correct and to know what sizes they are for future reference...

OK, thanks. But I'm not going to be taking off the turbine housing, only the compressor side.

Haven't these turbo companies ever heard of model numbers or other identifying marks they can stamp the housings with to more easily ID them?
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #2117
Rich Z

Haven't felt real ambitious the last few days, but I did drag myself over to the garage today and got the new wastegates mounted.

I've been trying to find end caps to screw onto those male fittings that were connecting the wastegates up to the back of the intake manifold. No way I'm going to pull off the manifold just to pull off that hose and plug it there. So I've been searching all over the place for female 10mm x 1.0mm threaded caps with no luck at all. So heck, I decided to just make them myself. I've got the tap for that thread, so why not? Waiting for a new drill chuck attachment to my baby lathe so I can drill the hole I need using the lathe. My quarter inch drill chuck is just a hair too small for the 11/32ths drill bit I need to use. Then just a matter of running the flat bottomed tap through it to cut the threads, cut the end off of the brass rod stock I'm using, and start on the second one. I'll probably chuck the ends up in the milling machine so I can cut some flats on the sides for a wrench to be able to grab onto.
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #2118
Benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
OK, thanks. But I'm not going to be taking off the turbine housing, only the compressor side.

Haven't these turbo companies ever heard of model numbers or other identifying marks they can stamp the housings with to more easily ID them?
That pic was just for reference, as I said to check the inducer and exducer of the compressor side since I knew you wanted to just remove the compressor housing. they are commonly measured in MM.

the labeling would be too easy and would accommodate the end user if they forgot exactly what they had later on down the road.

that being said, there are WAY too many different combinations of turbos out there, between using a bigger exhaust wheel to eliminate back pressure to smaller wheels for better spoolup, then the trim of the compressor side for flow and pressure, there are likely endless combinations that could be had. even if a turbo had an ID tag on it, what if someone changed out stuff and had the housing machined to accept a bigger wheel, then the tag would be invalid for that turbo.

even in my job, the most logical things are never the norm.
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #2119
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Rich's Tuning Center, Detailing Shop, Machine Shop, and former serpentarium.....You really need a hobby Rich.....
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #2120
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Rich's Tuning Center, Detailing Shop, Machine Shop, and former serpentarium.....You really need a hobby Rich.....
I'm also growing insectivorous plants..... Does that count?

I SERIOUSLY want a bigger lathe. The little one I got is OK, but working on anything bigger than, say, a bullet projectile, is pushing the limits with it.

Nothing huge, just big enough to not be stymied because it is too small. Actually my biggest hurtle would be just getting it inside the garage and set up on a stand. Even the smaller of the next step up for me is going to be around 250 lbs or better. Connie and I just can't manage that sort of lifting any longer. But I've been thinking of ways around that. Maybe I could use the lift to manhandle it into place off of the back of Connie's truck. I'll have to see how far the lift's arms extend the next time there isn't a car sitting on it.

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports