The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 07-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #21
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBCKSEAT
at $413 per replacement tire, I think I can do better , and I like what you have shown and talked about. what is GS D3? I have asked the dealer about the road noise, thinking it was the wheel bearings. Looking at the Tire Rack website now..
Goodyear F1 GS D3

You will find them on the Tire Rack site. One of the reasons I went up one size from the stock size was that the 245 45-17s were on backorder, but they had 255 40-17s in stock for the front. Since I was upsizing in the front I went up to the 285 35-18s in the rear.

The first thing I noticed was that the ride was significantly improved. Then the tire howling was just gone. After leaving the installer, it was a 15 mile ride home through country winding roads. So, it did not take me long to find out how well they respond.

I am sure that you will get other opinions on other tires. I looked and talked to a number of people on Corvette Forum, before I made my decision. It appeared that the GS D3s seemed to be the best handling dry/wet tire out there. Now that I have said that, I am sure someone will disagree.

Good luck with the search!
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #22
NOBCKSEAT

Name :
NOBCKSEAT is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Rich. Your info is timely, and I want to do what you did. I love the look of the tires and they are not off brand like some. Now have to decide if Tire Rack is cost effective or Discount tire or Sam's club for them. I still would have to mount them. Great!, thanks. Carl
NOBCKSEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #23
Rich427

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBCKSEAT
Thanks, Rich. Your info is timely, and I want to do what you did. I love the look of the tires and they are not off brand like some. Now have to decide if Tire Rack is cost effective or Discount tire or Sam's club for them. I still would have to mount them. Great!, thanks. Carl
I found that Tire Rack was very competitive with the prices that I got from the dealers in the Maryland area. The nice thing about them is that they have a number of warehouses around the country. So, I ordered mine one day at 11:00 AM and they were delivered the next business day by Big Brown. Also, Tire Rack keeps a list of installers that they recommend around the country. Just type in your Zip and it will list the installers that they recommend in your area. Also, some members from this site might chime in to help you!

Good luck!
Unread 07-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #24
NOBCKSEAT

Name :

Well pressure is off for a while, found out that goodyear does repair runflats, and had it done this morning.
Also noticed while getting my tire fixed that I got tagged in the rear by a white car on my pretty blue paint!! Someone brushed up against the rear end, can be buffed out, but damn, no balls. Couldn't confess up.
Either Jealous or Haters!!! The bastards!! And I hardly drove it!
Unread 07-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #25
Rich427

Name :

Sorry Backseat, I have been out of town the last couple of days. Just got back and saw that you have fixed the run craps. If you lean on them doing a little autocross, you'll start to get the howl that I got from mine and eventually trash those things.

But good luck in the mean time!
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:27 PM   #26
NOBCKSEAT

Name :

I talked with Tire Rack today and with Discount Tire last week also. I'm going to get 4 GY GS D3, around 1100 from either with road hazard. Discount Tire is local, so I can at least throw them thru the front window if I have issues.

Carl
Unread 07-26-2006, 07:19 PM   #27
Rich427

Name :

You won't be sorry with that tire. I'm not.
Unread 10-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #28
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

So I take it the GS D3's aren't run flats? If that's the case, not to be negative but considering the difficulty of jacking up a C5 and the fact is has no spare, can you really afford NOT to have run flats???

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #29
Rich427

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guro305
So I take it the GS D3's aren't run flats? If that's the case, not to be negative but considering the difficulty of jacking up a C5 and the fact is has no spare, can you really afford NOT to have run flats???
Absolutely.

Tire Rack also sells a portable compressor (like the Z06 has) but it also has a tire sealant. You can use just the compressor without the sealant if you are just adjusting your tire pressure. This sealant is supposed to be compatible with the pressure sensors. If you ever have a flat and use the tire sealant, then they sell a replacement sealant element and new hose. The kit is about $80 and although I have not used the sealant, and hope I never have to, it is there if I need it.

In August, I put 3000 miles on those tires going from Maryland to my house in Ft. Myers and then back to Maryland, without an issue. In fact, on the return trip a friend in another C-5 thought his run flats were a little low on air, so he went to a gas station at our stop in Florence, SC. Unfortunately, the air pump at the station was broke and instead of filling his tire, he let what remaining air he had in the one run flat out of the tire. I pulled the compressor out and had it loaded with air quicker than it took me to unload my trunk to get to the compressor.

So far it has worked for me, but what I am doing is no different than the
C5 Z06s are doing. GM does not put run flats on them but they do get a compressor.
Unread 10-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #30
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

Sweeeet! Where can I get that kit? I was thinking when it was time to replace my tires of doing the same but I am (was) tentative because of what I mentioned earlier. So let me get it straight. You put regular tires on your C5 and not only did you save a crapload of money, but if ran better?! Now that I know, I guess knowing is half the battle!

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote