The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 02-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #21
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Remember Bloomfield Hills, Mi. that had the Vette cop car?

Look at this:

Who are they ripping off???
I'm from Detroit originally. We used to joke about all the money floating around in Bloomfield Hills. Not any more. I recall the ZO6 their police had before. These can't be regular patrol cars can they? Maybe the chiefs ride or something.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #22
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Most likely a vehicle seized in a narcotics (or other) case.
Unread 02-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #23
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Yep then used in situations like DARE kids programs, parades, or publicity events like speed enforcement while the news is watching or DUI check points when the camers are rolling.

SWEET AZZ RIDES THOUGH, ALL OF THE VETTES AND CADIS THEY HAVE !!!!
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #24
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've never really been a big fan of asset forfeiture laws... I can see the incentive from the bad guy's point of view to not be a bad guy, but the problem is the unintended incentive invoked from the "good guys". The laws are completely dependant on the altruism of the people enforcing and adjudicating those laws. There is just far too much temptation to bring out the mercenary blood in some municipalities and personnel, in my opinion... When vehicles (rolling assets) begin to be targeted because of the value that forfeiture could bring to the department, and in some cases the law stretched or evidence even fabricated to encompass that asset to be covered by the law, well things have gone FAR awry with the INTENT of the law.
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #25
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

Quote:
Executive class...Vette power...and you can pick up a nice clean version for low to mid 20's...Rich's idea has some merit
Lowest I have seen is 19K. But the warranty is worth the extra money. We've got to have at least 10K in warranty work for free on that car. Doesn't matter what's wrong, take an XLR to a Cadillac dealership with the good warranty and you can get pretty much anything you want replaced as long as you can find a scratch or whatever.

When the radio unit was replaced on ours (meaning the navigation unit, radio, control box, pretty much everything in that area), GM even payed to replace a few of the aftermarket wood grain pieces that were damaged, as well as a new one for the faceplate since they couldn't get the old one off.

My father says that they are the best Cadillac ever made, and that he thinks it is a better car than the C6s he has test drove. I can't share an opinion on that because I haven't owned any Cadillacs. But I can personally attest that the XLRs are fun to drive.

Last edited by floridaZ; 02-27-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: syntax error
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #26
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dalton View Post
I'm from Detroit originally. We used to joke about all the money floating around in Bloomfield Hills. Not any more. I recall the ZO6 their police had before. These can't be regular patrol cars can they? Maybe the chiefs ride or something.
As stated by Rocket (below). they're probably forfietures. Then again, they could be donated by a local dealership or GM themselves (tax write off), or as in one jurisdiction, the personal vehicle of one of the officers, properly modified for police work (that one was a Camaro).
Could also be a purchase by the department, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
Yep then used in situations like DARE kids programs, parades, or publicity events like speed enforcement while the news is watching or DUI check points when the camers are rolling.
SWEET AZZ RIDES THOUGH, ALL OF THE VETTES AND CADIS THEY HAVE !!!!
He's right. Most are not used to "routine" patrol duties. The vettes, caddi's and other sports type cars, would never make it down back roads, dirt roads and other places most police cars have to go on occasion...and at decent speeds at time.
They're "show" cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I've never really been a big fan of asset forfeiture laws... I can see the incentive from the bad guy's point of view to not be a bad guy, but the problem is the unintended incentive invoked from the "good guys". The laws are completely dependant on the altruism of the people enforcing and adjudicating those laws. There is just far too much temptation to bring out the mercenary blood in some municipalities and personnel, in my opinion... When vehicles (rolling assets) begin to be targeted because of the value that forfeiture could bring to the department, and in some cases the law stretched or evidence even fabricated to encompass that asset to be covered by the law, well things have gone FAR awry with the INTENT of the law.
Granted that "could" happen, but it's more of a paranoid perspective IMO.
The hoops an agency has to jump through, the paperwork involved, the hearings and reviews, etc., are more of a stopgap or check if you will, to ensure those things don't happen.
I can't recall a single seizure where an "innocent" persons high end vehicle was seized unlawfully.
I'm not saying it can't happen, because it certainly can. Any time you have the "human factor" figured in, laws can be corrupted. But there are a lot of checks and balances involved to prevent it.
Besides, you can't just seize a vehicle simply because it's used in the commission of certain felony crimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaZ View Post
Lowest I have seen is 19K. But the warranty is worth the extra money. We've got to have at least 10K in warranty work for free on that car. Doesn't matter what's wrong, take an XLR to a Cadillac dealership with the good warranty and you can get pretty much anything you want replaced as long as you can find a scratch or whatever.

When the radio unit was replaced on ours (meaning the navigation unit, radio, control box, pretty much everything in that area), GM even payed to replace a few of the aftermarket wood grain pieces that were damaged, as well as a new one for the faceplate since they couldn't get the old one off.

My father says that they are the best Cadillac ever made, and that he thinks it is a better car than the C6s he has test drove. I can't share an opinion on that because I haven't owned any Cadillacs. But I can personally attest that the XLRs are fun to drive.
I have to agree with your dad. I've seen a few over the years and although I never really gave them much thought, and was a little so-so about the square, "stealth fighter" look of the lines, I have to say that several I've seen are sweet! The retractable hardtop is a plus as well

I'll never have another car without a warranty, unless it's a beater (like my truck) that can sit until I get around to fixing it!

My extended, $0 deductible warranty on the Scion just about paid for itself with the 1st issue. Replaced the alternator....$800.00 bucks for the unit itself, + labor!

Warranty was $1200.00...I'm sure it'll pay for itself completely before I hit the 100k/60 additional months

That black one I posted has certainly gotten my attention.

I wonder what size tires you can throw on the back and front of those? Gotta look at some more parts.....thinking...thinking.....

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Granted that "could" happen, but it's more of a paranoid perspective IMO.
The hoops an agency has to jump through, the paperwork involved, the hearings and reviews, etc., are more of a stopgap or check if you will, to ensure those things don't happen.
I can't recall a single seizure where an "innocent" persons high end vehicle was seized unlawfully.
I'm not saying it can't happen, because it certainly can. Any time you have the "human factor" figured in, laws can be corrupted. But there are a lot of checks and balances involved to prevent it.
Besides, you can't just seize a vehicle simply because it's used in the commission of certain felony crimes.
Sometimes just because you may be paranoid doesn't mean that it's unwarranted....

http://www.fear.org/victimindex.html

And a much older account, but still reflective of the concerns...

http://www.ndsn.org/feb97/louisiana.html
Unread 02-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #28
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Sometimes just because you may be paranoid doesn't mean that it's unwarranted....

http://www.fear.org/victimindex.html

And a much older account, but still reflective of the concerns...

http://www.ndsn.org/feb97/louisiana.html
Consider the source and the agencies involved

Detroit...louisianna, etc....

As I said, "I" couldn't recall a single one. Not in Florida anyway. I'm sure they exist because, and again as I said, any time you have a human factor involved you have the opportunity for corruption.

IDK- Controlled paranoia may not necessarily be a bad thing.

But, out of check paranoia is never a good thing

Due dilligence, preparation and a certain degree of caution is certainly a better plan

There's always going to be someone tryhing to take advantage of the system. Fortunately, as long as we have reasonable courts, misjustices such as that perpetrated by the IRS in one of the links, will eventually be overturned.

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #29
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

Lookie here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxMxqHXwM8

Right up your alley Shadow.

It would be a fun car to modify, I would guess. Some Vette stuff even swaps over, such as the Z06 brakes.

As for forfeiture details from the first link... I think a motorcycle is a good trade for a few years out of jail. And as for innocent people, you should always read contracts before you sign it. Especially if it has anything to do with the gov't.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote