The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #51
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Heck, I can put 100 miles on it just by driving back home and then turn around and head back to Chris's shop.

Is the break-in oil (and resultant wear residue) going to cause any issues with in my turbos?

Should be no issue at all. The filter will catch it & I assume you have a magnetic drain plug.

This is gonna be a killer project! Your gonna love the results Rich!
Unread 08-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #52
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1 View Post
You guys have GOT to try Swepco syn. It is an off-road idustrial/race syn that is heads above any we have seen or used ever.
So what is so special about this stuff? I haven't heard anything about it....
Unread 08-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #53
Rich Z

Quote:
I assume you have a magnetic drain plug.
Actually, no I don't. It's one of those little minor things I've been planning to do, but just never got around to it. Guess I need to put this on the list for Chris to get me for my car......

Last edited by Rich Z; 08-16-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #54
xtrememotorsports

Name :
xtrememotorsports is on a distinguished road
Default Roebling Road Video

We made it back late yesterday,I had a blast it felt great to be back at the track behind the wheel.We completed our testing for the PFADT article and by far their sport shocks and sway bars are the best on the market.
The test involved some low speed test in a large parkinglot,high speed track testing,and the overall comfort of the 9 hr trip there and back.

Gavin is in the background yelling "mama" so please excuse that.. he wanted to go on the track sooo bad.

Last edited by xtrememotorsports; 08-17-2009 at 08:11 AM.
xtrememotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #55
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
So what is so special about this stuff? I haven't heard anything about it....

Swepco is from a small refinery and is udes in the off-road equipment field mostly, but can be seen in many of the top offshore boat race teams & there is even a picture of M1 sponsored IRL team pouring it into there engine in the pits.

Best synthetic oil we have ever run into.

Only available by shipping or a few race shops. We started carrying it after Potter Performance turned us onto it.

Around $7 a qt and they have gearlube as well.
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #56
Rich Z

Quote:
Swepco is from a small refinery and is udes in the off-road equipment field mostly, but can be seen in many of the top offshore boat race teams & there is even a picture of M1 sponsored IRL team pouring it into there engine in the pits.

Best synthetic oil we have ever run into.

Only available by shipping or a few race shops. We started carrying it after Potter Performance turned us onto it.

Around $7 a qt and they have gearlube as well.
I tried to find some reviews on the net but didn't come up with anything. So what is it about this synthetic oil that impressed you so much? I switched to Royal Purple after seeing some tests done in a review that looked pretty darn impressive to me. I believe that thread is somewhere on this site. If I remember correctly, it was the elimination of galling of the bearing surfaces under pressure that really caught my eye. Yeah, I know you need to take all reviews with a grain of salt, but still, you have to choose some criteria somewhere when making decisions like this. So until I see or hear of evidence of something better, I'm not making a change.

BTW, I found that test writeup and have attached it to this post as a .PDF file..
Unread 08-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #57
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

RP purple is nice, but the cost of RP over M1 (running M1 in the vette now) isnt worth it. I used to run all RP stuff in my SRT4. I was paying 15-20 dollar more over M1 and others. I also had to change my oil more often. RP breaks down to quick, specially in boosted cars, and with your turbos relying on being oil cooled thats double (triple if you wanna count the motor, turbo 1 and turbo 2) heat treatment.

I googled swepco oil and found its used in a lot of euro cars, especially porsches.
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #58
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

We wont warranty a motor w/RP in it. We had to run it back when RP was the title sponsor in Pro Stock and the only way to keep the bearings from failing was to change it every run. They make great gear lube, but I have seen to many lower-end failures with RP to trust it for anything but easy driving.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...t=royal+purple
Unread 08-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #59
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

One key with Swepco, is it contains high levels of Zinc that is missing from most retail oils. For details on Swepco, call: Ron Potter 941-758-5942 and he will take the time to explain. He is one of the most respected offshore power boat race engine builders in the world and will use nothing but. It's worth the phone call.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5004
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...80-decree.html
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/atta...4&d=1247078953
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/atta...1&d=1247145331
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/atta...2&d=1247145346
Brad had mentioned that the "oil wars" were raging over here so I thought I'd weigh in and let everyone take a shot at me too... I usually spend most of my time here in Performance and IRC-VK56 but I do want to take some time to back up his claim and clarify some points.
* My truck has just shy of 19K miles on it.
*My last 3 oil changes were RP 5W-30 with a new K&N filter each time. Before that all changes were at the dealership.
* I do not run oil more than 3 or 4K, even synthetic, and this last change was right at 3.5K miles.
*The new Swepco oil was also 5W-30 - their 306 Supreme Formula

We did 3 dyno pulls with the old RP and then the tech changed the oil and filter in-place on the dyno to keep from changing the setup and to let the truck cool back down. We did 3 more pulls and there was an immediate 10 HP increase with the Swepco and no other changes. Fact.

Although my truck usually feels like it's running better when I change the oil (or do almost any other maintenance) I can honestly say that I haven't felt a noticeable difference in power after the last 2 RP changes - there was a nice difference changing from the Nissan bulk oil to RP the first time but, not so much since then. Until now...

That said, I did not buy the Swepco to gain hp (although I'm not disappointed and won't give it back), Brad recommended it to me and then I spent a good deal of time on the phone with his buddy, the professional engine builder, discussing what's important to me - lubrication properties and the condition of internal components after extended use in various applications. The engines he has serviced after a life of Swepco lubrication have apparently been pristine internally and required much less attention than others. It's kind of a joke in their shop that they have to break in a freshly built engine with Kendal since it takes too long to get the rings to seat with the Swepco - they run the Kendal for a while, check things out, and then refill with Swepco before sending it out.

Customer quote: "Another important thing to note is, Swepco is not primarily a performance or "racing" oil - it is intended for fleet vehicles and heavy/extended use applications to increase longevity and reduce operating costs by reducing maintenance costs (see the link above) - they don't advertise because they don't need to, they already have a huge commercial and government customer base. It apparently happens to work well in high performance applications too though so, it sounds like just what I'm looking for! Only time will tell and I will be getting my oil analyzed as close to 3k miles as possible when I change it. I'll post results if anybody is actually interested in facts."

Editorial printed in the “Techni-Gram” April & May 2007

This covers a recently discovered subject matter of the very most importance to everyone who owns vehicles of any kind, be it, automotive, trucking, construction equipment, etc. The results are in with very dismaying reports concerning the newest API engine oil specifications, SM / CJ-4.
To put it very bluntly and to the point, the newest specifications for both gas and diesel have not been satisfactory for use in engines prior to 2007.
In the past, when engine oils changed formulation to meet the most up-to-date specs, those formulas proved to be what is known in the industry as “backward compatible.” This simply means that the year in which the oil met the new specs and took effect for the new rating, it was perfectly alright for use in older vehicles. To my knowledge, at least over the past 22 years, there has never been a problem with oil meeting backward compatible status.
The latest API specification, SM/CJ-4 does not seem to be working out to be backward compatible, even though we have been given assurances that it would be. In a nutshell, this very well may cost the owners millions upon millions of dollars due to premature wear in both gasoline and diesel engines.
The following will show you why the concern:

GASOLINE SERVICE RATING “SM”

The newest gasoline engine oil service classification is API: “SM.” One of the primary reasons why the EPA wanted to introduce this requirement was the concern that for engines which burned a little oil, the ZDDP (zincdialkylditiophosphate), was poisoning catalytic converters.
The major automotive manufacturers at first stated that there was no bona fide data to confirm this theory, and even today, it is still debatable. The government calls for catalytic converters to have a minimum useful life of 120,000 miles, most catalytic converters have far surpassed that mileage in use without having an abnormal amount of failures due to the so-called “poisoning.”
ZDDP is the major anti-wear additive in engine oil, it has been used for decades, it is relatively inexpensive, yet very effective. With the lowering of ZDDP in some oils, almost nothing in some other oils due to “additive drop-out conditions” (primarily in semi-synthetic and some synthetic oils), a devastating effect has occurred.
The first casualties of low-to-no ZDDP took place in high-performance gasoline and methanol fueled engines. One case which I know of “flattened” three camshafts within a two-month period in a race car situation.
Excessive valve train wear has also been experienced with this oil.
Independent engine builders recognized the problem almost immediately and started recommending to the industries they serve to use a “high-quality” oil with zinc in it for anti-wear protection.
Most all of the majors, including those who produce private label engine oil for companies, such as for auto parts stores have changed their formulations to meet SM. You will see it on the shelves at the stores, and from the oil jobbers.

DIESEL SERVICE RATING “CJ-4”

The newest diesel engine oil service classification is API: “CJ-4,” sometimes just referred to as “CJ.” The major cause of change for this rating was to meet the 2007 Low-Emission Diesel Engines specifications. The concern once again was due to exhaust emissions. It had been determined that on engines using a DPF (diesel particulate filter), it would be plugged up by the heavy metals in the additive package of the engine oils which were graded up to CI-4 plus. The newer diesel emissions systems can reach temperatures as high as 1,600ş F.
Heavy metal additives destroy the system. Therefore any engine oil prior to CJ-4 which is not formulated for these engines should not be used.
According to the new specs for CJ-4, the oil must contain lower levels of ZDDP, Calcium and Phosphorous, it must also not have a TBN any higher than 9. TBN is a measure of the oil’s alkaline reserve, which is used for fighting off the damaging effects of acid.
Diesel oils which are formulated for “Low-Emission Engines” when used in pre-2007 engines has been reported as having premature bearing wear in as little as 10,000 miles. First showing up on the Ford Power Stroke series 6.0 & 7.3 liter, GM’s Duramax, and Dodge / Cummins 5.9 liter engines. Commercial truck and heavy equipment application reports have not yet come in, but if the precursor is any indication, it doesn’t look good.
Furthermore, if any type of oil additive is used to help the friction modification of these oils, including molybdenum disulfide , they will also poison the system in diesel applications.

THE BAD NEWS IS

Hopefully, you will realize the gravity of this situation. If you are involved in the servicing of pre 2007 automobiles, trucks or other equipment, you should continue to use engine oil which is NOT rated “SM/CJ-4.” More than likely it can be the cause of premature wear in those pre-2007 engines. Actually, as far as engine wear is concerned, it could in fact also cause more wear in the 2007 engines as well, but you increase the possibility of catalytic converter problems when the engine gets to the point in which it starts using a little oil if you use a pre– SM grade. Personally, I would think this to be minimal, and would rather replace a catalytic converter than an engine.
Many engine builders when first realizing the problem with wear in low ZDDP oils started recommending the use of a “good diesel oil” in gasoline engines. This recommendation cannot be given any longer unless the diesel specification is CI-4 or previous, and has a full additive package. If the oil is rated SM/CJ, you do not have a full additive package for the older engines. Generally if you see an oil with a label stating “For Low-Emission Engines”, it will NOT have a full additive package which gives the full protection needed for older engines.
You have now heard the bad news about engine oil, as the old saying goes “A word to the wise is sufficient.”

THE GOOD NEWS IS

A completely unprecedented decision concerning new engine oil specifications by Southwestern Petroleum Corporation with their SWEPCO brand 306 Supreme Formula Engine Oil has been made. Usually in the past when a specification rating went into effect, they have been right in there with the new specs and introduced any changes in formulation into the product when it was time to do so. However, in this case, when the specs went into effect last October, they had held back on re-formulating to meet them.
I am very pleased to inform our valued customers and prospects that we will continue to provide swepco 306 Supreme Formula Engine Oil with a full-bodied additive package, rated at SL/CI-4 Plus formula in the following weights: 10W30, 15W40 and 20W50. For engines requiring 5W30, it is rated SJ/CI-4. The TBN on this oil is 10.3, vs. the newer 9.0 max for diesel. The detergent, dispersant and anti-wear (zinc) levels are still higher than most other oils on the market rated SL/CI-4.
SWEPCO is not going to introduce a SM/CJ product into the market until more testing has been completed and they are able to supply an oil which will surpass the needs of the specification without sacrificing the protection you have come to rely on with SWEPCO lubricants.
In any case, it will not be a reformulated “306” oil. The 306 will remain an SL/CI-4 for pre-2007 engines.

Update on new, lower additive, engine oil specifications

We have built a very good case for using SWEPCO’s highly friction modified oil, the “306” engine oil in all weights to provide more protection for the engines made for the pre-2007 low-emissions regulations. The last three months have seen a huge increase in the demand for this product. Undoubtedly, as more problems develop there will be even more consumers become aware that they are not getting the protection they did before the API oil classification change.
As stated previously, SWEPCO 306 Supreme Formula Engine Oil will continue to have a full-bodied additive package combined with a superior base stock for our “older vehicle” customers.
Our first recommendation will always be “306,” however there is another product SWEPCO manufactures which can improve the friction fighting, as well as the cleanliness of “other oils,” it is SWEPCO’s 502 Engine Oil Improver.
“502” will fortify your engine oil’s friction fighting additives with a healthy dose of Micronized Molybdenum and ZDDP (zinc). SWEPCO 502 Engine oil treatment can save you money by reducing heat, friction, wear, oil consumption, fuel consumption and costly repairs.

Benefits of Use
Enjoy these benefits with regular use of SWEPCO 502 Engine Oil Improver:

Makes Oil “Oilier” - increases the film strength & load carrying capacity of other engine oils.
Reduces Friction & Wear - Quickly plates critical engine surfaces for outstanding anti-wear and extreme pressure characteristics.
Extra Protection in High Load Conditions - Improved film strength and plating when engines are pushed to their limits.
Smoother, Quieter Operation - Better lubrication means a smoother, quieter running engine.
Reduces Operating Temperatures - Less friction and drag also means a cooler running engine. And that means fewer high temperature corrosives and contaminants are created.
Helps eliminate Sticking Valve Lifters - Valve lifter problems are usually the result of gum, varnish or carbon deposits. 502 contains highly effective solvents which dissolve gum, varnish and carbon deposits and helps eliminate the problems they cause.

Treatment rate: One pint of 502 will treat 5 quarts of engine oil.
Unread 08-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #60
RelentlessNiSMo

Name :
RelentlessNiSMo has disabled reputation

Quote:
One key with Swepco, is it contains high levels of Zinc that is missing from most retail oils. For details on Swepco, call: Ron Potter 941-758-5942 and he will take the time to explain. He is one of the most respected offshore power boat race engine builders in the world and will use nothing but. It's worth the phone call.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5004
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...80-decree.html
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/atta...4&d=1247078953
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/atta...1&d=1247145331
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/atta...2&d=1247145346
Brad had mentioned that the "oil wars" were raging over here so I thought I'd weigh in and let everyone take a shot at me too... I usually spend most of my time here in Performance and IRC-VK56 but I do want to take some time to back up his claim and clarify some points.
* My truck has just shy of 19K miles on it.
*My last 3 oil changes were RP 5W-30 with a new K&N filter each time. Before that all changes were at the dealership.
* I do not run oil more than 3 or 4K, even synthetic, and this last change was right at 3.5K miles.
*The new Swepco oil was also 5W-30 - their 306 Supreme Formula

We did 3 dyno pulls with the old RP and then the tech changed the oil and filter in-place on the dyno to keep from changing the setup and to let the truck cool back down. We did 3 more pulls and there was an immediate 10 HP increase with the Swepco and no other changes. Fact.

Although my truck usually feels like it's running better when I change the oil (or do almost any other maintenance) I can honestly say that I haven't felt a noticeable difference in power after the last 2 RP changes - there was a nice difference changing from the Nissan bulk oil to RP the first time but, not so much since then. Until now...

That said, I did not buy the Swepco to gain hp (although I'm not disappointed and won't give it back), Brad recommended it to me and then I spent a good deal of time on the phone with his buddy, the professional engine builder, discussing what's important to me - lubrication properties and the condition of internal components after extended use in various applications. The engines he has serviced after a life of Swepco lubrication have apparently been pristine internally and required much less attention than others. It's kind of a joke in their shop that they have to break in a freshly built engine with Kendal since it takes too long to get the rings to seat with the Swepco - they run the Kendal for a while, check things out, and then refill with Swepco before sending it out.

Customer quote: "Another important thing to note is, Swepco is not primarily a performance or "racing" oil - it is intended for fleet vehicles and heavy/extended use applications to increase longevity and reduce operating costs by reducing maintenance costs (see the link above) - they don't advertise because they don't need to, they already have a huge commercial and government customer base. It apparently happens to work well in high performance applications too though so, it sounds like just what I'm looking for! Only time will tell and I will be getting my oil analyzed as close to 3k miles as possible when I change it. I'll post results if anybody is actually interested in facts."

Is there anywhere on the internet that you have not been LOL!! Great Work on the research Tracy!! I forgot to add, that one of our techs put RP in his 350z with 32k on it, and only made it about 1,700 miles before he had catastrophic failure in the motor. i also have seen this in another Nissan Titan.
RelentlessNiSMo is offline   Reply With Quote