The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #61
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

OK, I just got back a couple of hours ago and will just briefly give my first impressions of the STS twin turbos.

First off, the dyno sheet:

The figures run on my car before the install are this:

368.19 hp, 346.52 ft-lbs.

After the install and tune we now have this (with 6 lbs of boost):

506.43 hp, 465.72 ft-lbs.

Bear in mind that it was 90 degrees out, so Greg tells me a run during cooler weather would likely net 525 hp on the dyno.

So apparently the turbos are basically asleep until the tach hits around 3.5K and then the torque spools up quickly, peaking at around 5K. So for most driving situations, the car acts like the turbos are not even there. But when you put you foot into it, that wakes up the "beast".

Kind of an odd situation when you drive it and awaken the "beast". Hitting the go pedal feels pretty normal as I have come to expect it, then as the rpms climb though the "wake up call" area, it feels like a big hand gets behind you and just starts pushing. HARD... But honestly, in first and second gear, you just are not in that "sweet spot" area for very long before it is time to shift. First time I ran it it actually hit the rev limiter before I even realized it.

Some of the guys at the shop wanted me to start it up when it was sitting out back after being washed, so I jumped in and did so. First thing that struck me is that the sucker is LOUD!! And not just a little bit. I mean, shake your teeth loose LOUD. A lot more than I had expected, and far and above more than the advertising videos from STS I have viewed. Substantially so. Inside the car it is VERY overpowering in the 1200 to 2200 rpm range. Haven't had the wife ride in it yet, but I'm pretty sure she is not going to like it at all. I'm not even sure I like it. I really wasn't expecting that. And I'm going to be on pins and needles any time an officer gets close by thinking it is most certainly going to catch their attention as well. It is NOT subtle at all. Maybe it will grow on me. Hope so, because I'm not sure what I can do otherwise.

Another thing that is a minor annoyance is that the exhaust pops a LOT when decelerating and in between shifts when the revs drop. So much so that it sounds like backfiring. Greg said this is normal, but again, it is something I had not expected, nor heard in any of the video clips. Normal or not, I'm not really crazy about that effect that has cropped up.

So overall? Hmm, not sure about this.......
Unread 10-22-2006, 12:46 AM   #62
IVOZ06
CRAZYME

Name :
IVOZ06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
So overall? Hmm, not sure about this.......
Nice numbers!!

So, you are not happy with it?

"When I'm good I'm very good but when I'm bad I'm better."
CLICK FOR MY PICS
2001 Z06 TR/Mod Red 400 rwhp
LIFE IS TOO SHORT, HAVE FUN, NO REGRETS
IVOZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 04:59 AM   #63
MR.LT1

Name :
MR.LT1 is on a distinguished road

The numbers are great! but the key here seems to be first impressions aren't good..Usually even when its bad when someone gets something new everything seems wonderful, then in time the complaints start....But from your first impressions the car seems to be way too loud and you like me seem to rather have a car that has a deep sound but basically a sleeper, and the STS turbos blow that philosophy out of the water. I am very surprised because I myself am a big fan of that system since it came out and I love watching that trans am video on their site. I hope its just that your car was just very quiet and in time you will love the sound and maybe its not as loud as you think..Keep us posted but I am sure the power rush must be something.....
Unread 10-22-2006, 07:07 AM   #64
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Rich, glad to hear you got the Z back. I really hope it grows on you. I'm not a big fan of the popping on deceleration, but I'm used to mine doing it ever since I put the headers on. I don't remember you saying it did that before with your LG's. Maybe mine is a combination of the LG's and my Corsa's.

Look forward to hearing it in person at the Ultimate Corvette Party. 'Til then, I hope you'll make a video and post it.

Scott

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #65
Mekanic
Injector Guy

Name :
Mekanic is on a distinguished road

Rich, I understand what you're saying.

If you want to trade me for my nice quiet LT4, gimmie a ring....I'm here for you.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #66
FourG63 97GST

Name :
FourG63 97GST is on a distinguished road

Interesting, makes descent power, i'll like to here how it souds. can use your old LG exhaust clip for comparision. must be a blast to drive though. So far it looks like i'll be going with the APS TT setup, see how that goes
Unread 10-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #67
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I'm planning on recording the exhaust noise when I get a chance. Raining here right now, however.

I dunno, I just felt like "cop bait" when I was driving it home. Even just regular pulling through the gears without really cranking it makes a LOT of noise. And I am worried that the wife just won't like riding in it at all, which will shoot the hell out of our plans on just cruising around for enjoyment sake in the vette. I dunno..... hope I just didn't make a HUGE mistake with this... I listened to every audio clip I could find of the STS system and NONE of them sounded even close to being this loud. Especially on STS's own site. There is just no way you can really hear the turbos spooling up over the sound of the exhaust itself. And I don't recall ANYONE ever saying it was TOO loud to them, so maybe it's just me.

Heck, maybe I'm just a real picky SOB. I'll give it some time to see if it grows on me (and the wife). If it doesn't, well Houston, we have a problem.....
Unread 10-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #68
IVOZ06
CRAZYME

Name :
IVOZ06 is on a distinguished road

TOO LOUD...depends on the person

To me and many of my friends my 427 sounded awesome but to the new owner it is too loud and he is worried about getting a ticket in CA. It has been sitting in his garage awaiting a new exhaust

On an STS note, when I was at the ZFest on of the member had an STS on his Z. I could hear the turbos spooling three cars back. What he hears in the car maybe a totally differnt sound.

Usually turbos quiet the thing down, that is a in my book.

"When I'm good I'm very good but when I'm bad I'm better."
CLICK FOR MY PICS
2001 Z06 TR/Mod Red 400 rwhp
LIFE IS TOO SHORT, HAVE FUN, NO REGRETS
IVOZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #69
FourG63 97GST

Name :
FourG63 97GST is on a distinguished road

Tru, well the didnt come from Z06 Ti to currently no mufflers. I thought my corsa was a cop magnet too when I just got it. got use to it after a week or 2.

found this STS clip also
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b...5b014e9d7f.htm
Unread 10-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #70
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Heck, maybe I'm just a real picky SOB. I'll give it some time to see if it grows on me (and the wife). If it doesn't, well Houston, we have a problem.....
I don't think you're being "picky". It's really frickin loud. I mean, it has no mufflers at all, from my understanding. Just the cats and the turbos.

I said the same thing to Greg when I heard it and he said there was the possibility of adding a Borla XR-1 to the system. I don't know how much difference that would make.

Actually, I should thank you. I had been thinking of that kit myself, but once I heard it that was all she wrote. I like to be able to hear the exhaust but that car sounds almost like a muffled race car to me. Cool as heck, but yeah, "cop bait". Plus I don't like it to be *too* loud when I pass people on the road.

Good luck with it. Hope you can work something out. It *is* a killer ride.
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote