The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Tech and How-To Articles

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Tech and How-To Articles This is an RSS feed from Corvette Fever's website to bring in links to tech articles and How To writeups.

Unread 02-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Spark plug wire broke - HELP!!

Getting ready to go to Punta Gorda Sunday and ready to clean up the engine. Backed the car outside (see better in the sunlight) and while cleaning around the spark plugs the #7 wire broke!!! I pulled it out of the coil and now what? There is a rubber plug in where the spark plug should be. How do I get that out to put in a new wire? And does the dealer sell one wire or just a set? HELP!!!
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking Help!!!

Pres:
Get a pair of long nose plier's and grab the rubber portion and pull hard. It snaps on and should just pull off. If you have one bad wire you have more..go to Chevy (GM) or NAPA and get a full set. If not that hard to replace your own (Trust me!).
Here are some instructions...

http://www.c5forum.com/diy/sparkplugs.php

You might want to consider replacing plugs also at some point.

JIM

A set of OE-type replacement plug wires from the auto parts store is less than $40. Your time and aggravation factor is worth more than that. Just go buy a set, install them yourself or hire someone to do it, and be done with it. The "one plug wire at a time" philosophy at GM has screwed many a customer, it's screwed GM under warranty too but where the unscruplous dealership (and there are plenty of them) makes it up is by pulling the same stunt on out of warranty vehicles, charging the sap customers several hundred dollars a pop with every service trip. If they ever tell you there's a bad wire you tell them to replace the whole set and you'll pay the difference. Don't let them bend you over.

Getting to and removing the spark plug boots takes care, finess, and the proper tools and even then you stand a chance at damaging one, particularly if they are the original wires from the factory that always seem to be permanently bonded to the sparkplug. It would seem that GM is not lubing the boots with dielectric grease on the production line wires. Even on pre-lubed wire sets I recommend taking a cue-tip and making sure the lube is swabbed around the entire boot surface; they often just smear a dab on in one spot. My philosophy is that since the only time I'm likely to remove the plug wires is to replace the plugs or do major mechanical work it's cheap insurance just to install a new wire set too. This allows you just to yank the old set quickly off without concern for their condition.

Further, the OE type wire set is more than adequate for all but the most hardcore racing applications. I've seen more problems with aftermarket wires than OE; they cost more so people are less likely to consider replacing them. Don't waste your money, there is no real performance to be had with aftermarket wires, just get the OE type and if there is any suspicion of damage then shell out the $40 and replace them all in one shot. Your situation is just one of many examples on why this is a good practice.
Unread 02-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Works!

Jim:

Thanks for your reply. The site you attached was great! I got it off after I could see that I just didn't pull hard enough. The consenses is that black is OEM and red is aftermarket. We bought the car used and it has red plug wires. So I guess that means they were replaced? It only had 37/k on it when we bought it....Wonder if he replaced them at that milage?

Anyway, thanks again. You going to be Punta Gorda?

Jim H.
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking Have a Good Show!!

Not going to that show...We have one in St. Petersburg Saturday and then Tampa Bay Vettes does our cruise on Sunday.

Glad I could help you!!!

<<<<<<<<<<<<GIVE ME A REP POINT

Still have no idea what they are for....maybe free "Frequent Flyer Miles"

Have a Great Show!!
Jim
Unread 02-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres712 View Post
Jim:

Thanks for your reply. The site you attached was great! I got it off after I could see that I just didn't pull hard enough. The consenses is that black is OEM and red is aftermarket. We bought the car used and it has red plug wires. So I guess that means they were replaced? It only had 37/k on it when we bought it....Wonder if he replaced them at that milage?

Anyway, thanks again. You going to be Punta Gorda?

Jim H.
Well not exactly... oem is actually grey, but gm does make a set of red wires also, the gmpp set is red.

You should go ahead and change the entire set. While it's not as easy as changing the oil, you can do it in a couple of hours. Plan on aching back muscles, a few skinned knuckles and contorting your fingers into positions that a raccoon would give up on, especially the back cylinders. I performed this minor procedure on both of my C5s and while it is a PAIN, at least you know it was done correctly.

Always use dielectric/silicone lube on the plugs and boots when installing, it prevents moisture from getting in and makes it easier to replace the plugs again in a year or two.

Have fun...
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
Well not exactly... oem is actually grey, but gm does make a set of red wires also, the gmpp set is red.

You should go ahead and change the entire set. While it's not as easy as changing the oil, you can do it in a couple of hours. Plan on aching back muscles, a few skinned knuckles and contorting your fingers into positions that a raccoon would give up on, especially the back cylinders. I performed this minor procedure on both of my C5s and while it is a PAIN, at least you know it was done correctly.

Always use dielectric/silicone lube on the plugs and boots when installing, it prevents moisture from getting in and makes it easier to replace the plugs again in a year or two.

Have fun...

Yep Joe's probably going to be changing mine. I use dielectric grease in the boots and high temp anti-sieze on the plug threads.
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

The next time I have to replace my wires, I'm going to buy a tool to help remove those boots from the plugs. Should DEFINITELY help prevent a few skinned knuckles. That number 7 wire was a chore getting to.

When you put on the new wires, make sure they *snap* into place on both the plug and the coil. Otherwise they'll vibrate loose later on.
Unread 06-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
xtrememotorsports

Name :
xtrememotorsports is on a distinguished road
Default Wires

I have a set I took off of a 2008 with 500 miles on them I will sell for 30 shipped but it will be tuesday before I can ship them I am taking tomorrow off.We did about 5 build articles for Corvette Fever in 2 days and im beat.
xtrememotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote