The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > The Police Blotter

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Police Blotter This forum is for the purpose of alerting our readers of thefts and robberies. The idea is that WE can all keep our eyes peeled for the stuff and maybe catch those creeps.

Unread 12-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #11
sandman

Name :
sandman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
Another story, Another reason to get your Concealed Carry Permit. Take a few shooting lessons, Get Certified, Go Shoot your weapon at the Range.
Good idea. I was on the pistol team in the Air Force.I can shoot the the wings off a fly in mid air.LOL

SM
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
grumpyvette
retired mech engineer

Name :
grumpyvette has disabled reputation

one more in an almost endless list of reasons to ALWAYS carry concealed and know at least basic martial arts skills,

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php

The Florida "Castle Doctrine" law basically does three things:

One: It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.

Two: It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others. [This is an American right repeatedly recognized in Supreme Court gun cases.]

Three: It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.

It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.

In short, it gives rights back to law-abiding people and forces judges and prosecutors who are prone to coddling criminals to instead focus on protecting victims.

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...hp?f=91&t=1128

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...hp?f=93&t=3909

Last edited by grumpyvette; 11-22-2010 at 08:50 AM.
grumpyvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Good post Grumpy .Florida and a few good states allow you to defend yourself legally .

I carry no matter where I travel.No matter what state ,No matter what city .

I do recommend that ever man women and child be properly schooled and trained .
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett boy View Post
Good post Grumpy .Florida and a few good states allow you to defend yourself legally .

I carry no matter where I travel.No matter what state ,No matter what city .

I do recommend that ever man women and child be properly schooled and trained .
The Castle Doctrine is spreading to many other states. Two things I remember when leaving the house are my phone and my Glock. I do not carry where prohibited because in some jurisdictions it's an automatic jail time. I also started hunting when I was 12.

I'll add what is kind of a funny story. I disarmed a guy that had a large hunting knife. He was in the process of stealing my suitcase. I held him at knife point till the cops got there and arrested him. All during this time I'm thinking this guy is a dumb ass cause all he had to do was run away. No way could I have caught him as he was much younger.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
mickeystoysz16
I have stripes

Name :
mickeystoysz16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Another story, Another reason to get your Concealed Carry Permit. Take a few shooting lessons, Get Certified, Go Shoot your weapon at the Range.

that happened to me before and they got a rude suprise when they met the business end of a .45 problem solved
2004 Z06 Corvette Z16 Commemorative Edition #770
2004 Silverado LS 5.3L SWB
1969 Camaro SS RS 396/350HP TH400

Members I have met:
LEJ_ZO6, JCB_NJB, als2052, Phil @ Tampa Tuning, Riceman, C5CHICK, Kap142
mickeystoysz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
Smmmokin'

Name : Floyd Bingel
Smmmokin' has disabled reputation

Quote:
Got mine! Never go to a gun fight with a knife!!!

Hey, at least it wasn't a Vette!!!
Smmmokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #17
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Having a CC permit is all well and good, but in these situations (carjacking, robbery, etc.) the majority of the time the victims are at a disadvantage, due to the element of surprise. That is to say, when the bad guy already has his gun pointed at you(or knife, tire iron, whatever) there is no way you can retrieve your weapon in a manner that would have a positive result on your behalf. That said, a distraction could possibly buy you some time. Seat belts are a good distraction, but even if you are successful in making this work you're very likely to scare the bad guy into shooting/stabbing you. On the other hand, the seat belt is something that restricts your access to your weapon if you carry in a belt holster. Having carried my off duty weapon while driving my Vette, I discovered that it's practically impossible to draw from my concealed hip carry holster without getting out of the car, or at least coming up out of the seat. And keeping it in the console doesn't work either. Shoulder holsters offer easier access, but who wears that much clothing here in Florida, and besides, the bad guy's going to see you going for it. Basically, if you don't anticipate what's happening during a carjacking, you're screwed.
My advice, stay away from the shady areas of town. When you have no choice try to leave at least a cars length behind other cars when you come to a stop light or stop sign so that you have some room to manuver if you see it coming. This is a good idea anywhere. When it comes to fight or flight, often flight is the best defense. Having a CC permit may give you a false sense of superiority. The bottom line is, whoever gets the drop has the advantage. And it's not practical or legal to drive around with a gun in your hand. Use common sense and be alert. I was in my patrol car one night and a guy came up to me and pulled a flare gun out of his pants pocket and handed it to me. Scared the sh** out of me! He had found it and just wanted to turn it over to an LEO. That showed me right then how easy it is to be on the losing end of an altercation with a weapon. Having a weapon and knowing how to use it is good, but not always good enough. Be careful, be safe, keep your eyes open to what's going on around you.
Unread 11-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

I tuck it under my left thigh. The reason is that as I lean over to get out of the car I can slip my hand down to the gun and grasp it. I can then use the door as a physical barrier (as the bad guy steps back to let you out) and raise the gun up to point shoot (no aim - just center mass plinking). Worst case scenario I can shoot through the door. A hole in the door is ALOT less painfull than a hole in the human body. Additionally if it should discharge (which with a good safety like Glock has won't be likely) the round wont hit your passenger since its pointed away from the center of the car. The easiest way is to have the barrel pointed out to your left with the grips pointing toward the gas pedal in the car. Your right hand will grasp it naturally without needing to reposition the gun to grip it solidly.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #19
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Having a CC permit is all well and good, but in these situations (carjacking, robbery, etc.) the majority of the time the victims are at a disadvantage, due to the element of surprise. That is to say, when the bad guy already has his gun pointed at you(or knife, tire iron, whatever) there is no way you can retrieve your weapon in a manner that would have a positive result on your behalf. That said, a distraction could possibly buy you some time. Seat belts are a good distraction, but even if you are successful in making this work you're very likely to scare the bad guy into shooting/stabbing you. On the other hand, the seat belt is something that restricts your access to your weapon if you carry in a belt holster. Having carried my off duty weapon while driving my Vette, I discovered that it's practically impossible to draw from my concealed hip carry holster without getting out of the car, or at least coming up out of the seat. And keeping it in the console doesn't work either. Shoulder holsters offer easier access, but who wears that much clothing here in Florida, and besides, the bad guy's going to see you going for it. Basically, if you don't anticipate what's happening during a carjacking, you're screwed.
My advice, stay away from the shady areas of town. When you have no choice try to leave at least a cars length behind other cars when you come to a stop light or stop sign so that you have some room to manuver if you see it coming. This is a good idea anywhere. When it comes to fight or flight, often flight is the best defense. Having a CC permit may give you a false sense of superiority. The bottom line is, whoever gets the drop has the advantage. And it's not practical or legal to drive around with a gun in your hand. Use common sense and be alert. I was in my patrol car one night and a guy came up to me and pulled a flare gun out of his pants pocket and handed it to me. Scared the sh** out of me! He had found it and just wanted to turn it over to an LEO. That showed me right then how easy it is to be on the losing end of an altercation with a weapon. Having a weapon and knowing how to use it is good, but not always good enough. Be careful, be safe, keep your eyes open to what's going on around you.
Best advice I've ever read regarding self defense! While we all have fantasized about being Clint Eastwood, good common sense is often the better part of valor...
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #20
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

[quote=85vette;126403]
Quote:
Having a CC permit is all well and good, but in these situations (carjacking, robbery, etc.) the majority of the time the victims are at a disadvantage, due to the element of surprise, That is to say, when the bad guy already has his gun pointed at you(or knife, tire iron, whatever) there is no way you can retrieve your weapon in a manner that would have a positive result on your behalf...
Absolutely!

Quote:
That said, a distraction could possibly buy you some time.

Quote:
...My advice, stay away from the shady areas of town. When you have no choice try to leave at least a cars length behind other cars when you come to a stop light or stop sign so that you have some room to manuver if you see it coming. This is a good idea anywhere. When it comes to fight or flight, often flight is the best defense.
Excellent advise!

Quote:
The bottom line is, whoever gets the drop has the advantage. And it's not practical or legal to drive around with a gun in your hand. Use common sense and be alert.
While I agree with your though, there are time when I and I'm sure others, have found themselves thrust into a bad situation by no fault of thier own.
My wife was notorious for getting lost and getting off the interstates in the worst damned places!

And as you mentioned, although not practical or legal, I wouldn't let that particular issue stop me fom being prepared for a brief period.
If the police are around, then by all means, don't do it. there's no reason since there should be no reason to feel threatened at that point.

If you're alone in one of those situations, by all means, make the weapon readilly deployable.

When/if I find myself in one of those "hair raising" predicaments (for me, that's pretty bad), the weapon is either in my hand, in my lap, on the seat next to me or on top of the console, and ready for immediate deployment!
If it's anywhere else, it's a paperweight and IMO opinion at the time of the attack, doesn't exist.
Once I'm out of the percieved danger, it gets tucked away again.

You should have your CC permit, so, should law enforcement show up, shove the mofo under the seat or cover it with a piece of paper in the seat next to you, and you're legal again
It's once again "concealed" vs being in plain view, the latter of which can get you arrested in some places.(Doesn't make much sense does it, but that's our law)

Never let paperwork interfere with your survival.
Always better to be judged that carried

Quote:
I was in my patrol car one night and a guy came up to me and pulled a flare gun out of his pants pocket and handed it to me. Scared the sh** out of me! He had found it and just wanted to turn it over to an LEO. That showed me right then how easy it is to be on the losing end of an altercation with a weapon.
Brother, that's an eye opener

I've had some instances, both as a LEO and in the private sector, where the other person has already deployed a weapon.
In those cases, you'd better be able to think quick
Diffuse or dispatch the situation is all you can do.

Quote:
Having a weapon and knowing how to use it is good, but not always good enough. Be careful, be safe, keep your eyes open to what's going on around you. :thumbsup
This is truly the best advise that could be given

Vigilence, preparedness and practice are the three things that will save you life, if anything will, regardless of the situation

Over the years, I have taught, and continue to teach, various weapon disarmament, retention, and personal defense/improvised weapon courses.

Most now are taught to the civilian populace.
Real estate people, teachers, security personnel and others with a need. People that will routinely find themselves in potentially precarious sitations without the availability of immediate police or other assistance.

ThereIS a time to attempt to disarm an individual.
For the average person, in most situations, that time will never come.

Sandman did the right thing, he gave up the car and lived to tell about it!

As 85vette said, if you see it coming, you can react. If whatever it is creeps up on you, you're probably screwed.

My advise to all my students is the same....practice and prepare, practice and prepare, practice and prepare.....

Run through mental scenarious and determine in advance, how you will react.
We have to stop thinking like church deacons, and start thinking like the bad guys if you want to be prepared.

Believe me, if you can imagine it, some scum bag already has.

The more you run through mental scenarios, the better able you'll be to react automatically to a situation.

Practice...when you can, find someone and practice (safely).
If you can't find a "crash dummy", practice by yourself.

In the martial arts, we used kata's, 1-2 and three step drills, to build muscle memory and reactions.

Go over the techniques "in the air" until they're smooth and without thought.

My final word would be, if it's just a material item, give it up!
It'll usually be recovered later.
If not, then it's probably replaceable.

If it's physical, fight with the intent to "stop the "aggressive act that necessitated the use of force.."
You NEVER "wanted" to kill another human being, nor was that your intent.
Leave the bravado to Segal, Swarzenegger, Stalone and the other Hollywood heros.

You didn't do what you did to "kill" or maim the other person, you simply did it to stop thier action.
If the suspect dies in the process, that's his/her problem. Should have choosen better

If they'd have stopped, retreated, they'd still be in one piece

Stay safe out there

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Last edited by Shadow; 11-23-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote