The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Z06Fever!

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Z06Fever! Well, why not? Having one of these toys is definitely an illness for which there is no cure, so let's talk about this specific malady.

Unread 04-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dalton View Post
It ssems hypocritical to say this, since I own a C-5 Z, but I've always been a bit surprised that there is much of a market for the car at all. There are sooo many aftermarket kits and tuner companies that'll give you a scary fast car for waaay less than the price of a new Z. Is it bragging rights or what? With the pricing out of my league already, I know my next 'vette will not be a ZO6.
Well, I'm thinking that the ZR-1 will get a bunch of people who need to have the "latest and greatest" dumping their brand new Z06s in droves. Already seeing them on Ebay with buy-it-now prices in the low $50s. For that price, I might be tempted......

When we were at the Crystal River car show last weekend the dealer there had two Z06s on the lot. A few people were making what seemed like serious inquiries about them, but the sales people there seemed to have not gotten the word that demand for these things is no longer outstripping the supply.
Unread 04-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
LEJ ZO6
LEJ ZO6

Name :
LEJ ZO6 has disabled reputation

Mark,

You can certainly get a lot of after market horsepower for the difference between the cost of a new ZO6 and a standard C6.

I think the ZO6 is much more than just a higher horsepower C6 though.

It has a lot of road race style upgrades that make it a pretty good value for $20K above the regular C6. Things like the aluminum frame, the magnesium engine cradle, the big brakes, the larger wheels and the carbon fiber parts.

A lot of this stuff can be purchased aftermarket but other things can't. I doubt you could get it all installed for $20K even if it was available. Plus, on the ZO6, it's all covered under the factory warranty.

I think a factory ZO6 will hold it's value on the used market better than a modified C6. For my money I would much rather buy a used ZO6 than a used C6 with after market upgrades.
LEJ ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEJ ZO6 View Post
Mark,

You can certainly get a lot of after market horsepower for the difference between the cost of a new ZO6 and a standard C6.

I think the ZO6 is much more than just a higher horsepower C6 though.

It has a lot of road race style upgrades that make it a pretty good value for $20K above the regular C6. Things like the aluminum frame, the magnesium engine cradle, the big brakes, the larger wheels and the carbon fiber parts.

A lot of this stuff can be purchased aftermarket but other things can't. I doubt you could get it all installed for $20K even if it was available. Plus, on the ZO6, it's all covered under the factory warranty.

I think a factory ZO6 will hold it's value on the used market better than a modified C6. For my money I would much rather buy a used ZO6 than a used C6 with after market upgrades.

You make some excellent points there.

After all you can buy the CF pieces, the wider tires and rims and the body kit. Without engine mods, you'll be somewhere around that additional $20k mark when you're all finished with the installs.

Unless you're going to seriously track the car, the aluminum frame is a waste of money on a street car. Even some of the road racers are still running steel frames for one reason or another?

So why buy factory performance?

A factory warranty

You don't have to touch it to make it go fast and look good. It does that out the door

Frankly, there are dozens of C5/6's out there, that will absolutely hand the new Z's thier arse

Some are a beast to drive, maintain and reliability goes out the window on some And unless you have it done by one of the reputable shops (no DIY's) you'll not have a warranty either!

And every one of them will loose money on resale.

About the only real benefit is:

1) You can pay as you go (all paid for when it's done-no car payments as large as my house payment
2) You have the satisfaction of doing it yourself or at least spec'ing it out.
3) you can go fast with the top off or down

Other than that? Strictly personal satisfaction.

Resale value of the Z? That remains to be seen? Not sure how it's going to hold up for the long run $$ wise?

In resale $$, the factory stock car is almost always a better investment. So if you just want to go out and "buy" HP right from the dealer, the Z is definately the way to goYou get (for the $$$) HP, styling, with the factory warranty.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

All very good points and I have to admit, the first time I test drove a Z I was hooked. I didn't even think about another car. My car is factory bone stock and it'll be that way until I no longer own it. Lately I've been thinking about an '08 Z51 with paddle shift. Same or better performance than I have now and, as Gordon said, a warranty. I guess no matter which 'vette I choose, I can't go wrong.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
LEJ ZO6
LEJ ZO6

Name :
LEJ ZO6 has disabled reputation

You're so right Mark, whichever Corvette you choose, you can't choose wrong.

I have driven Corvettes for over 30 years and raced them for most of that time. I've never had one I didn't like.

I have an 08' ZO6 that is the best Corvette I have ever owned. If you are just street driving I admit that a stock ZO6 is overkill. The standard C6 has more performance than most people need on the street.
LEJ ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #16
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
This might be a dumb question, but does anyone know what "LS" really stands for?
I'm guessing that it's simply the RPO. I'm looking on my build sheet and it says "LS6" 5.7L ENG Z06.

Scott

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #17
frozenfx

Name :
frozenfx has disabled reputation

Quote:
It ssems hypocritical to say this, since I own a C-5 Z, but I've always been a bit surprised that there is much of a market for the car at all. There are sooo many aftermarket kits and tuner companies that'll give you a scary fast car for waaay less than the price of a new Z. Is it bragging rights or what? With the pricing out of my league already, I know my next 'vette will not be a ZO6.
I think people just have a skewed perception of what the car is capable of... Anyone can make a fast straight line car... For what the C6 Z06 costs, it's the most capable car on the track. Given to similarly skilled drivers, the C6 Z06 will embarrass cars that costs two to three times as much.

Perfect example, my friends Evo IX that's tuned up to 560whp and "Full suspension" as he calls it... whatever that is... and slicks, still couldn't keep up with my practically stock C5Z (only mod was a borla off road exhaust kit) at Sebring in May.

As a daily driver, the car obviously should have no market. However it does have a small daily driver market with the older guys that wish the C6Z came in automatic... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

There's plenty of market for the car. Go to a track day and you'll find a wealth of C6Z's with ~240 miles on them... 237 miles of which were covered on the track well over 100mph...

-B
frozenfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #18
Yellow

Name :
Yellow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
All very good points and I have to admit, the first time I test drove a Z I was hooked. I didn't even think about another car. My car is factory bone stock and it'll be that way until I no longer own it. Lately I've been thinking about an '08 Z51 with paddle shift. Same or better performance than I have now and, as Gordon said, a warranty. I guess no matter which 'vette I choose, I can't go wrong.

yep the C6 Z06 is awesome. Bone stock for 26K. but Recently just added new airbox.

Yes some C5 will give it a run including its garage mate (a 99 S/C coupe) which is not a beast to drive, and is very reliability .

That being said these 2 car are totally different. Power comes at different times, but the HP is very very close!

and even the 02 is different (but does not have nearly as much HP as the other 2

But there are different styles of Vettes ( now even for those who will pay over 100K ) to try to please everyone
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote