The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road
Default Do I need new seats??

Heres the scoop, the seats in my 99 are starting to feel uncomfortable to me now, feels like i'm sitting on the hard ground and i can now feel it in my lower back. Even driving short distances like to work 8-10 miles.

Will new foam help with this or should i start looking into aftermarket seats?

Suggestions welcomed.
Unread 08-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default Yep

Chris, when I bought my 72 the seats were exactly as you describe yours to be. They were hard and very uncomfortable and the foam was powdering too.

I talked to the guys at Mid America and choose to send them my seats to be redone (including new foam). I wanted original seats and new leather too. What I got back were perfect new seats expertly done. The difference was unreal. I would highly recommend them.

Ken
Unread 08-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

I agree with KAP on this one.

Unless you just want aftermarket seats or are considering racing on a regular schedule, I'd probably avoid most of the aftermarket. They look and perform great but can be a bit tough on the back and bottom for long trips. Some of the ladies don't care to ride in the because they are sometimes difficult to exit. Think about it, they're designed to hold you in.

If you want to stay with factory seats but want a stock or custom look, there'a a few places here in Tampa I'd recommend:

Anthony's on Nebraska Ave @ Busch Blvd. (N/E corner) has been around forever, does a great job, very reputable and stands behind his work. Pretty quick too.

Thene there's this old guy that has a workshop at his home. He lives behind our subdivision off Ehrlich Road near the Vets. I'd have to get you his name and address.

He does a lot of custom work for the local rodders and restorers. He's a little slow but not bad and can be motivated.

I've seen his work and it too is top notch Very reasonable as well.

I'd avoid Classic on Armenia like the plague. 1st hand knowledge here...he does (well, his staff does, he doesn't "do" much of anything anymore but gripe and complain and such!) nice work and "in the past" has had numerous awards and writeups for his custom work.

Biggest problem is, it'll take him 2 forevers to get work back to you (seriously) and the price is rediculous!

If you want the old guys name/number and such, let me know?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
novass66

Name :
novass66 has disabled reputation

Chris, A great place to have this work done right in St Pete, Top Of Line.The owner is Chuck 727-526-8398 he does mostly dealer work but will take care of you at great prices. Ask for Chucky Cheese he will know who sent you. He has done work for me for 15 years.
novass66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
chris308
spam sniper

Thanks for the help guys!!

I was kinda thinking of replacing the foam (from Gene Culley) in the seat myself, as this is my daily driver and i can't be without the car. Well i guess i could sit on a 5gal bucket, but don't think thats actually legal!!

I just wanted to make sure changing out the foam would help the situation or if the stock seats are just made uncomfortable.

Last edited by chris308; 08-12-2007 at 06:02 PM.
chris308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris308
Thanks for the help guys!!

I was kinda thinking of replacing the foam (from Gene Culley) in the seat myself, as this is my daily driver and i can't be without the car, well i guess i could sit on a 5gal bucket, but don't think thats actually legal!!
As long as you have seat belts and it's bolted down,It's legal,Lawn chairs are good too.
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
chris308
spam sniper

wow, i do believe i just heard banjo's playing....
Unread 08-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #8
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Chris, I guess I will try to get to your problem.... Yes new foam will make your seat feel like new. You have a couple options ... If you are very patient and don't mind the work, you can replace the foam in your seats. You must first remove the seats from your car, strip off the seat covers, remove and replace the old foam with new, then reinstall the original seat covers. This will take you about a full day for each seat, unless you have done this a couple hundred times before.

As an Alternative... when Deb and I were at Tampa Corvettes a few weeks ago, we noticed that they have a huge selection of excellent quality used seats there. You might try them first.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote