The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Z06Fever!

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Z06Fever! Well, why not? Having one of these toys is definitely an illness for which there is no cure, so let's talk about this specific malady.

Unread 03-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Z-427
Jetstream Z

Name :
Z-427 has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Melrose Headers for C6 ZO6!!!

Hey everyone im still doing research on which headers I should purchase for my C6 ZO6 and, I came across a company called Melrose. Does anyone know if they are any good?http://www.melroseheaders.com/produc...rs/c-6_z06.php
Z-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Melrose is OK, at least for C5s. I can't speak to their C6Z06 offerings.

If it were my car I'd stick to American Racing, Kooks, or LG Pros. All proven, premium products.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

I have the Melrose headers on my 07. The fit is excellent. They come jet coated. The sound is devine. The warranty is lifetime as long as you own the car.
Two benefits to jet coating- heat disbursement and the pipes will stay shiney.
Auto XTC highly recommends these headers and I'd recommend you talk with them. Call 727-573-1292. Larry French is the owner and John Wilson is their awesome technician.They would be an excellent resource for you for your mods. John has been featured in one the Corvette magazines with his car. Their workmanship is superb. If you need a reference, tell them Mark from Bradenton referred you. Good luck.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 02:45 AM   #4
Z-427
Jetstream Z

Name :
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
Melrose is OK, at least for C5s. I can't speak to their C6Z06 offerings.

If it were my car I'd stick to American Racing, Kooks, or LG Pros. All proven, premium products.
What about SLP? I know they just came out with a new Header System for the C6 ZO6 and they are suppose to be really good here take a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...26&BIG=30126-1
Unread 03-05-2008, 02:48 AM   #5
Z-427
Jetstream Z

Name :
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR View Post
I have the Melrose headers on my 07. The fit is excellent. They come jet coated. The sound is devine. The warranty is lifetime as long as you own the car.
Two benefits to jet coating- heat disbursement and the pipes will stay shiney.
Auto XTC highly recommends these headers and I'd recommend you talk with them. Call 727-573-1292. Larry French is the owner and John Wilson is their awesome technician.They would be an excellent resource for you for your mods. John has been featured in one the Corvette magazines with his car. Their workmanship is superb. If you need a reference, tell them Mark from Bradenton referred you. Good luck.
Thanks alot Mark! I really do appreciate all the help you are giving me.
Unread 03-05-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Well, like I said, I think those three brands I mentioned are the best. They are all stainless steel, which most of the others aren't (that's also most of why they're more expensive). They all have very high quality construction, which some of the others don't. They all make somewhat more power than the others on the market, on average, or at least that's what the various dyno results graphs posted on the Intarwebs seem to show. Certainly if you go talk to folks who are serious hotrodders and weekend racers, and who are not budget constrained, they overwhelmingly choose one of those three. Check out Corvette Forum C5 and C6 Forced Induction forums, or LS1Tech Corvette forum and see.

Of the three, the LGs make a bit more midrange torque, but use slipjoints. The AR and Kooks are a very similar design and are a little better at top-end power. The Kooks are better-made than the LGs, and the ARs are better-made than the Kooks, in my humble and non-expert opinion. I'd also say that the LGs are going to have the deepest, most "traditional" sound, the Kooks something in-between, and the ARs a more high-pitched, exotic-car sound.

You should also consult your installer. They all look good sitting on the floor, but there can be LARGE differences in how well they fit, and hence how hard they are to install.

I will also say that the factory C6Z06 exhaust syste is probably the best ever put on an American car. If you are going to leave the engine otherwise mostly stock, expect little gain other than the sound (which can be sufficient reason). Headers on a car like this are not a very cost-effective mod.

For myself, I have ARs on my C5 and I'm well-pleased with them. If I buy a C6Z06, which I'm seriously contemplating right now, and if it gets headers, they will likely be LG Pros. I want that mid-range bump.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Z-427
Jetstream Z

Name :
Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, like I said, I think those three brands I mentioned are the best. They are all stainless steel, which most of the others aren't (that's also most of why they're more expensive). They all have very high quality construction, which some of the others don't. They all make somewhat more power than the others on the market, on average, or at least that's what the various dyno results graphs posted on the Intarwebs seem to show. Certainly if you go talk to folks who are serious hotrodders and weekend racers, and who are not budget constrained, they overwhelmingly choose one of those three. Check out Corvette Forum C5 and C6 Forced Induction forums, or LS1Tech Corvette forum and see.

Of the three, the LGs make a bit more midrange torque, but use slipjoints. The AR and Kooks are a very similar design and are a little better at top-end power. The Kooks are better-made than the LGs, and the ARs are better-made than the Kooks, in my humble and non-expert opinion. I'd also say that the LGs are going to have the deepest, most "traditional" sound, the Kooks something in-between, and the ARs a more high-pitched, exotic-car sound.

You should also consult your installer. They all look good sitting on the floor, but there can be LARGE differences in how well they fit, and hence how hard they are to install.

I will also say that the factory C6Z06 exhaust syste is probably the best ever put on an American car. If you are going to leave the engine otherwise mostly stock, expect little gain other than the sound (which can be sufficient reason). Headers on a car like this are not a very cost-effective mod.

For myself, I have ARs on my C5 and I'm well-pleased with them. If I buy a C6Z06, which I'm seriously contemplating right now, and if it gets headers, they will likely be LG Pros. I want that mid-range bump.

Wow! you really broke it down for me thank you so much and not only to you, but everyone else on this wonderful site for being so patient with me, because we all share one thing in common? We all have a passion for Vette's and again thank you!
Unread 03-06-2008, 04:41 AM   #8
Z-427
Jetstream Z

Name :

Quote:

What are slipjoints?
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Gannet has given you some very good info. Most folks do go with the Stainless steel headers thinking that it is the best. There are conflicting opinions to that statement if you research and read reviews on this topic.
This is what I have come up with in reading alot of the posts on the web and talking with corvette techs.
1. Stainless Steel radiate more heat in the engine bay especially if they aren't jet coated.
2.Stainless Steel has more carbon molecules in the metal for increased stength but the rigidity means less flexibility. That appears to be one of the pitfalls to the flange connections having stress fractures over time due to less flexibility. Mild Steel (Melrose, etc.) has more flexibility and I could not find any evidence of rust problems.
3. Pretty much all the headers give increased performance and throatier sound.
4. Jet coating decreases engine bay heat and cosmetically will keep their shiney color throughout their use. Stainless Steel without jet coating will turn bluish.
I would strongly suggest talking with a knowledgeable corvette tech about what you want. Personally, I wanted the best warranty I could get and I wanted jet coating. you really can't go wrong with any of the great systems out there. Gannet has helped me on a few occasions in the past and his opinions are certainly relevant and worthy of your considerations. Good luck.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 03:10 AM   #10
Z-427
Jetstream Z

Name :
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR View Post
Gannet has given you some very good info. Most folks do go with the Stainless steel headers thinking that it is the best. There are conflicting opinions to that statement if you research and read reviews on this topic.
This is what I have come up with in reading alot of the posts on the web and talking with corvette techs.
1. Stainless Steel radiate more heat in the engine bay especially if they aren't jet coated.
2.Stainless Steel has more carbon molecules in the metal for increased stength but the rigidity means less flexibility. That appears to be one of the pitfalls to the flange connections having stress fractures over time due to less flexibility. Mild Steel (Melrose, etc.) has more flexibility and I could not find any evidence of rust problems.
3. Pretty much all the headers give increased performance and throatier sound.
4. Jet coating decreases engine bay heat and cosmetically will keep their shiney color throughout their use. Stainless Steel without jet coating will turn bluish.
I would strongly suggest talking with a knowledgeable corvette tech about what you want. Personally, I wanted the best warranty I could get and I wanted jet coating. you really can't go wrong with any of the great systems out there. Gannet has helped me on a few occasions in the past and his opinions are certainly relevant and worthy of your considerations. Good luck.

Thanks alot! I really do appreciate your help and I do agree that Gannet is a knowledgable person and I value his opinion.