The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #81
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I guess I just remember the old days when I was a kid and was always getting my GTO pulled over by cops. One told me he could hear me 4 blocks away and said I HAD to be speeding because of how loud it was.

Swapping out the Thrush mufflers I had with the stock to pass the inspection in Maryland was no big deal. Florida doesn't have any sort of inspection that I am aware of, but if I would be put into the position of having to SCRAP that twin turbo system because of the noise, believe me, I will be fit to be tied. Literally.....

I know everyone is saying that that don't get hassled because of the noise level, but please note my avatar. It's what it is for a reason....
Unread 10-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #82
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM KILL
As an owner with a "BILLY BOAT" exhaust system with cross-overs......you never can be too load.

I agree with "IVO".....LOUD is good!!!!

Rich.......Best of luck with the new system...Want to hear it up close and personel at the TampaBay Vettes Show......
i had flowmaster and they just don't have that Growl that my borla stingers does.
Unread 10-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #83
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking Loud is Good!!

Last edited by JIM KILL; 05-02-2008 at 08:45 AM.
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #84
Rich Z

You know, I just happened to think that I have a sound meter around here somewhere. Got it when I was into high end audio stuff and supposedly useful when trying to balance speakers. Didn't give me much help, though. Anyway, I should have had the foresight to use it back when I had the stock exhaust, then the headers, and now with the turbos. Would have been interesting to note the different levels on the meter, I think...
Unread 10-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #85
IVOZ06
CRAZYME

Name :
IVOZ06 is on a distinguished road

Rich, your car can not be louder than my 427 was and I drove it everywhere.

Never got pulled over for noise.

I just took the TI's off my Z16, I am going to swap them with a guy who has Borla Stingers. Even Swap!! I have to ship them to him and he is shipping to me at the same time.

I have to take my Z to Ferman Chevy tomorrow AM for some warranty issues.

I will be driving Open headers with just the off road X Pipe.

You want to talk about loud!!!

"When I'm good I'm very good but when I'm bad I'm better."
CLICK FOR MY PICS
2001 Z06 TR/Mod Red 400 rwhp
LIFE IS TOO SHORT, HAVE FUN, NO REGRETS
IVOZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #86
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

just get a partition and do an interior insulation kit and that will help you out a lot. dont worry about being cop bait. if you are on the gas hard they would see you anyway. they will more than likely not pull you for sound only. if they did that they would have to pull over most of the motorcycles on the road for straight pipes and you dont really see that often. even the cops around here had them on their patrol bikes. my 75 has straight pipes on it and it sets off alarms as i ride by cars in parking lots and i have never been pulled for excessive noise in it and i put 100,000 miles on it. it has had more than enough exposure. the borla system might be a good thing to look at if it really bothers you or just get some univeral tube mufflers put in. besides the sound level, how well do you like the system as a performance mod?
Unread 10-23-2006, 06:47 PM   #87
Rich Z

Already have the partition installed. One of the first things I did when I found that tromping on the accelerator puts everything behind the seat, in the sink hole in back. When the wife and I go for a cruise, we take a cooler, so it's not good having that thrown to the back.

I actually haven't driven it since coming home, and on the way I didn't even push it. The wife was following behind in the van, and I didn't want to lose her.... Since I work out of the house, I really don't get out all that much.

I'm going to wait to see how the sound grows on my over a few weeks to a month or so before making any decisions. Plus I may want to see what happens when I drive by a couple of cops.

One good thing about it is that if I happen to be next to some clown with one of those boom box vehicles, I can just run the revs up and REALLY piss him off. So this might wind up being a GOOD thing.
Unread 10-23-2006, 08:09 PM   #88
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

i like your way of thinking! i did an insulation mod to my frc and it made the b&b's almost as quiet as stock with the partition. i bet it grows on you as you get used to it. i am thinking of the sts system for my z now or a good heads cam set up. i am currious to see how yours does long term.
Unread 10-29-2006, 02:52 AM   #89
Rich Z

Hmm, I was looking at some of the data log captures I did after the STS install, and it appears that I am getting a LOT of misfires. I only have it set up to log TOTAL misfires and not by individual cylinder, so I am going to change it so each cylinder will be individually tracked.

It only appears to happen at moderate RPM ranges (1200 to 2200), but perhaps that is because I am doing most of my driving in that range. It's highly intermittent, but DEFINITELY there, and certainly something I need to have addressed.

If it is a single cylinder being the problem, then I guess it boils down to either spark plug, spark plug wire, or coil. If the misfires are randomly taking place on ALL cylinders, then I may be at a bit of a loss to figure out where the problem is coming from. But I guess I'll know more after I do some data logging and see what it looks like.

I guess between the airbridge sitting too high and now this problem with misfires, I just may be looking at another trip down to Seffner in the near future......
Unread 10-29-2006, 05:35 AM   #90
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

It's always something, innit?

How are you doing this data logging?
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote