The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 09-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
kip younger

Name :
kip younger has disabled reputation
Default tri carb help

I finally got my three dueces on, connected and running!!!! But, when I rev the engine to the point that the secondaries open, the center carb will Pop or backfire as they first open. If I rev it slowly to the point of where the secondaries will begin to open, then the engine "bogs down - or hesitates. I have heard that the floats in the fuel bowls must be set exactly right or the secondary carbs can be too lean or rich... Is this what would cause the center to backfire? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'm so close to getting these things running... thanks - kip
kip younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip younger View Post
I finally got my three dueces on, connected and running!!!! But, when I rev the engine to the point that the secondaries open, the center carb will Pop or backfire as they first open. If I rev it slowly to the point of where the secondaries will begin to open, then the engine "bogs down - or hesitates. I have heard that the floats in the fuel bowls must be set exactly right or the secondary carbs can be too lean or rich... Is this what would cause the center to backfire? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'm so close to getting these things running... thanks - kip

What year car & what type cam is in it? Sounds more like a lobe wearing down on the cam....but you are correct that they need to set properly, both the float levels & the linkage to each.
Unread 09-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
kip younger

Name :
kip younger has disabled reputation

The engine is new rebuild, in a 77 vette, with an L82 cam... I've yet to check the floats, will start there... thanks - kip
kip younger is offline   Reply With Quote