Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > Welcome Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Welcome Room Member introductions

Unread 11-30-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Z51-9
C6'09 Coupe (1LT+Z51+NPP)

Name :
Z51-9 is on a distinguished road
Default 1st Time Owners (Oviedo): 2009 Cyber Gray C6 (1LT+Z51+NPP)

Some of you may have met me briefly at various events over the last few years. Probably the most recent event I was around was the Coke Zero 400 where I took these shots of the pre-race parade. For those that know Carl Smith, I am his eldest son.

My wife and I are now owners of a new, Cyber Gray Metallic 2009 C6 Coupe. It's just the basic 1LT Coupe package with Z51 and NPP added (decided against a Convertible, and the removable top is enough fun). It's our "pleasure/non-commute" vehicle (we'll put less than 5K/year on it), so the manual 6-speed is just fine (and quite fun, especially with the Z51 ratios). We just bought it this past Black Friday. I had to fly back to my client in DC on Saturday (actually got home from the dealership very early Saturday morning), so I haven't taken any pictures yet. But I have accessories coming in and will take some the weekend of December 12th and 13th.

We didn't plan on becoming Corvette owners. We're frugal and were content just hanging around select club events. We also became completely debt-free more recently, owning our home and all our cars outright. We had considered some used C5s in the past and never pulled the trigger. Well, our brother-in-law (who has been an engineer with GM since the mid '90) had been pressuring us to take advantage of his GMS discounts. One thing led to another and we realized we could get over $12K off of a stock C6 2009 model with the GMS+rebates, got enough for our Mustang Convertible (good riddens!) and that was that.

I thought I wanted the Jetstream Blue, which is a beautiful color and contrasts with the red in the emblems well. But the Cyber Gray Metallic grew on me, even if it's likely going to be more trouble in the Florida heat. It just seems to blend well with the red in the emblems, as well as silver for any lettering, as well as the ebony interior and the black windshield posts. Again, I've ordered some accessories although I'm going to try to not overdo it and make it too tacky (feel free to critique my selections at the next event).

Won't be modding, other than possibly considering adding the factory HUD at a latter date (although I heard the 1LT/2LT windshield isn't as clear for the HUD as the 3LT/4LT that come with it). In all honesty my "talent" (i.e., lack thereof ) in performance driving means the 436hp in the LS3+NPP already has enough potential for me to send the car sideways if I even attempt to floor it. So it's more than enough "supercar" for my wife and I.

Look forward to meeting some of you at future events. Don't know how many we'll make since I travel enough, but I definitely will make Sebring and likely a few other race events in 2010.
Unread 11-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Nice color choice! I came REAL close to buying a C6 Z06 in Cyber Gray with ebony interior myself, but the cards just didn't hit the table the way I wanted them to.

Do you know for a fact that the HUD can be added in later on? I would like to get that for the 2007 C6 we have, but last time I checked it appeared to be a no-go.

Anyway, enjoy your vette. Just driving one can make the day seem better.
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Graet choice .Please note the dragon run in late April .Try that puppy out.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

and congratualtions on the new ride and on being DEBT FREE

Not modding huh?

Just wait...it's like crack, only more addictive and expensive....

Whatever you do, enjoy! and welcome aboard.....

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

to the site. If you are considering HUD which is an awesome addition, get it as part of package instead. My 07 HUD has worked flawlessly and I absolutely love it.
If you become an addict like most of us, you'll be modding it soon too!!!
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Welcome, good luck and enjoy your new ride...
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Z51-9

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Do you know for a fact that the HUD can be added in later on?
I've read that both the 1LT and 2LT packages can not only take aftermarket designed units, but I've seen it reported that the factory units can be installed for under $1K, as they've come down significantly. However, there is one caveat. The windshield is not designed for them, so the reflection is not as sharp (especially in sunlight) as on the 3LT and 4LT units, which come with the HUD. So don't expect it to be as clear or look as good as on a 3LT or 4LT.
Unread 12-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51-9 View Post
I've read that both the 1LT and 2LT packages can not only take aftermarket designed units, but I've seen it reported that the factory units can be installed for under $1K, as they've come down significantly. However, there is one caveat. The windshield is not designed for them, so the reflection is not as sharp (especially in sunlight) as on the 3LT and 4LT units, which come with the HUD. So don't expect it to be as clear or look as good as on a 3LT or 4LT.
For $1K I would have it done to our C6. The only caveat would be that I wouldn't want to do it if it would negatively affect the extended warranty I have on the vehicle in any way.
Unread 12-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
Z51-9

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
For $1K I would have it done to our C6. The only caveat would be that I wouldn't want to do it if it would negatively affect the extended warranty I have on the vehicle in any way.
That's why I was looking to have it done, for under $1K (I've heard about $800), from a GM service shop. I also have an extended warranty as well.

If I went aftermarket it can be done for under $500, or under $300 for just parts. Don't want to rip out my dash and do it myself while my extended warranty is in effect either.