The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 08-03-2013, 04:09 AM   #41
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
You have learned a lot during this ordeal Rich.
Yeah, I suppose so. But it was a LOT like being forced to learn how to swim by being thrown into the deep end of the pool.
Unread 09-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #42
Rich Z

Took the car out a few times to do some data logging. DEFINITELY getting poorer gas mileage with the ethanol contaminated gasoline. Like 3 to 5 mpg poorer.

Only put it into boost a little bit, so I'm not sure yet if the top limit to boost has changed any with the new wastegates. I was mostly working on the table values during more normal driving, so I was trying to keep it out of WOT mode as much as possible.

But it's coming along. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the wideband sensor out before too much longer...
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #43
Rich Z

Still haven't pushed the car deep into boost to check out the new wastegates. Basically been working on driveability RPM ranges getting the AFR modified with the ethanol fuel. Speaking of which, I think I lost at least 3 mpg just by going to the ethanol contaminated gasoline. Which I expected since the stoichiometric point of E10 is about a half point richer than E0 gasoline.

I've been gradually re-enabling the fuel trims and other driveability tuning aids along the way. Short term fuel trims look real good with very narrow swings into the positive and minus fueling commands. Next will be long term fuel trims, decelerator fuel cutoff, and power enrichment.

Hopefully I'll be able to pull the wideband sensor out pretty shortly and just be able to DRIVE the car without datalogging and feeling like I am constantly in test mode with the car.

Heck, it's raining again right now. Probably no driving the car tomorrow if the road is fit only for mud bogging again.
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #44
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Noticed a 3 MPG decrease when I went to E10 as well.
Bout 10%. Wish they would junk that crap once and for all!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #45
Rich Z

Yeah, it just doesn't make ANY sense why they are shoving that crap down our throats. Just the fact that an engine HAS to burn a richer mixture in it to get a balanced exhaust reading (meaning the oxygen sensors are detecting a corrected air/fuel ratio) should be clear enough evidence that a fast one is being pulled over on the American public. Basically every car on the streets that has not been specifically tuned for E10 gasoline has the fuel trims whacked out of kilter with the O2 sensors boosting a richer AFR simply to compensate for that stuff.

What the heck is being gained if adding 10 percent ethanol makes you use 10 percent MORE fuel while driving? The ethanol is just acting as wasted filler by volume in the gas tank. And to top that off, does using corn (a food product) to produce it really make any darn sense at all?

I sure would like to know who all made the pocketfuls of money off of this sleight of hand.
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #46
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Gonna be leaving in the ole TrailBlazer for Vacation into the Smokies, N Georgia (beautiful little cabin) then into Tenn before heading to Savannah. Gonna be a non ethanol flight for just as long as I can make it.
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #47
navy2kcoupe

Good luck with THAT Ken!
Enjoy your trip nonetheless..........
Andy
Unread 09-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #48
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

"Tanks" Andy
Unread 09-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #49
Rich Z

Did some more data logging today. Have both long term and short term fuel trims enabled and the car ran pretty well. Still got some instability at low rpm levels in higher gears, but I'm getting more and more convinced that this is just going to be the nature of the beast with that new engine. All of the signals I am monitoring are looking right on the money (as best my limited knowledge can determine, anyway). So quite likely the engine just doesn't LIKE low rpms and light loads. As Ricky Bobby would say "I just want to go FAST!"

And I had an opportunity to run boost up. I was on a pretty wide open road and just cruising along when I came over top of a small hill (such as it would be called here in the flatlands) and just as I crested the hill, a truck pulled out right in front of me. So I HAD to pass him. And I figured if I'm going to pass him, I might as well REALLY pass him..... Intake manifold pressure peaked at 26.3 psi, so subtracting ambient sea level pressure comes to 11.6 psi of boost. So it looks like the new wastegates are holding pressure just fine and putting the upper boost level right in the ballpark for where I want it. I would have been happy with 10 psi, so this is just icing to the cake. Seems like the entire STS system is holding pressure OK and the plastic airbridge didn't even blow apart under full boost.

Still need to look over the data I logged but so far everything looks pretty darn good. No knock retard hits being logged, so timing seems OK, and the "seat of the pants"-o-meter is registering A-OK as well.

Short term fuel trims averaged -0.1 and -0.4 and the long term fuel trims averaged -0.5 and -1.2. Overall lambda from the wideband averaged 0.983. So not too shabby in that department, I think.

Unread 09-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #50
navy2kcoupe

Sneakin' up on it a little at a time! When you're workin' with a
system that costs as much as yours, CAUTION and SMALL STEPS are
definitely good ideas to follow! Keep pluggin' Rich, and you'll get there
without needing to buy any more "expensive" parts.
Andy