The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 09-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
DWALK'00

Name :
DWALK'00 is on a distinguished road

My last ticket came with a lovely pair of silver braclet and coast about $5000.
that was all most 2 years ago and was avery good lesson and won't do that agin.
Four Rockferd Fozgate 10" subs, 1200w Kicker amp.
DWALK'00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWALK'00
My last ticket came with a lovely pair of silver braclet and coast about $5000.
that was all most 2 years ago and was avery good lesson and won't do that agin.
Wow! What exactly did you do, if you don't mind my asking, to warrant the bracelets?
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:08 PM   #13
DWALK'00

Name :
DWALK'00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Wow! What exactly did you do, if you don't mind my asking, to warrant the bracelets?
I got followed out of a bar parking lot by a state trooper how pretty much had me arrested for a DUI before he even talked to me, good part was they did not have the evidence to convict (because the cop screwed up alot of the report up as well as the video) so the charges got reduce to reckless driving, better charge but you still have to do all the same classes and everything else as a DUI but it is only 4 points that will go away. A DUI stays on your record for 75 year. It was an expensive very good lesson and I don't plan on doing it agin.
Four Rockferd Fozgate 10" subs, 1200w Kicker amp.
DWALK'00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
WC06VETTE

Name :
WC06VETTE has disabled reputation

My husband is the only man I have ever seen that can get out of tickets, for example....last year before we got the vette we had a 01 Honda s2000, one Saturday he wanted to see how high the speed-o-meter went, well he got it up to 157 mph before the Fhp. stopped him. He explained to the trooper what he was doing and the trooper told him that he has an s2000 also and he got his up to 162 mph so don't do again and let him go. This was on I75 just north of Tampa.
WC06VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #15
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC06VETTE
My husband is the only man I have ever seen that can get out of tickets, for example....last year before we got the vette we had a 01 Honda s2000, one Saturday he wanted to see how high the speed-o-meter went, well he got it up to 157 mph before the Fhp. stopped him. He explained to the trooper what he was doing and the trooper told him that he has an s2000 also and he got his up to 162 mph so don't do again and let him go. This was on I75 just north of Tampa.
Man they would have put me under the jail for doing that .He must have a gift
9T8Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #16
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC06VETTE

If what you say is true that cop should be fired. Most cops I have met, Florida and Mass take their job very seriously and would not let this type of infraction slide, especially considering the consequences that they would suffer if their actions were found out by his or her superiors, 157 mph is definately an arrestable offence and is also driving to endanger. I find it extremely hard to believe that a State Trooper would let a total stranger who was doing 87 mph over the speed limit go just because he owns the same kind of car. Hell, the fines alone would probably be over $1000.00. Christ I got bagged in my Envoy doing 13 mph over and he couldn't write the ticket fast enough. If a cop stopped you going 87mph over the speed limit he would be covered in drool just knowing he would probably be writing the moving violation of his life.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #17
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
If what you say is true that cop should be fired. Most cops I have met, Florida and Mass take their job very seriously and would not let this type of infraction slide, especially considering the consequences that they would suffer if their actions were found out by his or her superiors, 157 mph is definately an arrestable offence and is also driving to endanger. I find it extremely hard to believe that a State Trooper would let a total stranger who was doing 87 mph over the speed limit go just because he owns the same kind of car. Hell, the fines alone would probably be over $1000.00. Christ I got bagged in my Envoy doing 13 mph over and he couldn't write the ticket fast enough. If a cop stopped you going 87mph over the speed limit he would be covered in drool just knowing he would probably be writing the moving violation of his life.
I got a ticket a couple of years back that was more than double the 45mph speed limit. Obviously it was excessive, and dangerous. Especially since it was coming over a little bridge where, now that I realize it, a lot of people are fishing at all hours of the night. The officer didn't say a word to me about anything. No lecture. No "what the hell were you thinking?!" He just wrote the ticket for 48mph over the speed limit and sent me on my way. I still look back and wonder "what the hell was I thinking?!"

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #18
WC06VETTE

Name :
WC06VETTE has disabled reputation

Quote:

I understand what you are saying and I agree....But I guess things may have been different if he was a punk kid doing it. And I know what he did was wrong and he was very lucky, they would have taken me away in cuffs.....
WC06VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 01:46 AM   #19
Hot Pursuit

Name :
Hot Pursuit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
While catching and writing a ticket for that high of a speed would be a personal victory, it doesn't make our pay go up. It also doesn't matter if we write 5 tickets at 15 mph over or 20 at 85 mph over, there are no quotas. Different officers have different opinions about the MANY MANY MANY laws that are on the books. We cannot enforce every law we see people break (especially traffic laws with um-teen million cars in Miami alone, not to mention Tampa or other big areas). The only thing that's important to any Department of moderate size to large size is that the officer stays busy. That can be drug arrests, tickets, or whatever.

Having said that 157 MPH is definetly a great ticket to write. It however is not a criminal offense by itself. Speed in and of itself is an infraction, not a crime. The exception to that rule is things like weather conditions, other traffic (pedestrians and cars in area), cross traffic (possible streets or driveways a car could pull out of etc). If you have these factors then the speed becomes a danger to the public around you. The action becomes dangerous to the life limb and property of those around the violator because of his actions then it becomes RECKLESS DRIVING. Reckless driving IS a crime, and normally results in a minimum of an arrest.

One exception (and we were only taking about 1 car speeding excessivly in the previous posting) is "Racing on the highways". Racing doesn't actually need high speeds, and can be a slow down next to another car (obviously below the speed limit for a "rolling start") with the intent of competing in a speed contest where the endurance, speed, or stamina of the car will be tested in a race to a point off in the distance.

I have written tickets into the 120's, and taken people to jail for reckless much below that. Different factors change the possible outcome. Bottom line is I'd try not to write Vettes, so if the guy stopped and had a good attitude where it appeared he was ashamed of his actions or truly sorry it is our discretion to either write the ticket or not write it.

Once the fines reach the max they do not keep going up. Even 30 plus in a school zone tops in the $500 range. A judge can go much higher on the fine if they choose, but the Trooper or Officer cannot.

The initial story is possible in my opinion. Drive safe & save-da-wave!
Hot Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 02:19 AM   #20
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Why doesn't the land of the free and home of the brave have an "autobahn"?
Attached Images