The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 09-03-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default ? about STS twin turbos....

Since these things take the place of the mufflers in the exhaust system, so in effect there ARE no mufflers now on the car when these are installed, are they actually LEGAL on the street in Florida?
Unread 09-03-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

I believe its a Federal law that mandates all cars have catalytic converters. I don't think there is a regulation about mufflers, as long as it doesn't break your local noise ordinance. I'm sure all of our cars do that though. You would think if it were illegal, SLP wouldn't be able to sell the Loudmouth exhaust and B&B wouldn't be able to sell most of theirs. They don't have mufflers.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were illegal. We're talking about a state, at least my county anway, where it's legal to sell fireworks, legal to buy fireworks, but not legal to shoot them all off! Only some are legal.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

From an earlier post re: exhaust systems. You'll find the answer here.

http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...hread.php?t=15

316.272 Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.--

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(13) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 72-39; s. 1, ch. 73-89; s. 27, ch. 79-65; s. 135, ch. 94-356; s. 204, ch. 99-248.

Z06Rocket wrote:

I just saw in another Legal Issues post you submitted the statute used around here for modified muffler cites was quoted in 316.293 (5)b FSS. No need to post my pics because this is the exact same thing I saw in the 2006 book.

(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

Kind of general, so it covers anything "louder than factory".

This is my take on the entire matter:
The way the manufacturers get around it is the "off road use only."

Also, when they say they are legal, they're referring to CARB or emission compliant systems.

Noise is both, local, county, state and federally regulated.

Drive safe,
Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote