The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 02-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #21
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefoy84 View Post
92 in a 45???? You give all Vette owners a bad name. Grow up and drive like a responsible adult!! You should lose your license.
I guess you never pass the posted limit yourself huh? I know my driving habits are perfect

Hell, even the OP wasn't bragging about it, just commented on how the fines going to hurt.

Seriously though, although I agree that 95/45 is nothing to make lite of, the location is a more determining factor. One of the guys at the party last night got tagged on a long stretch of nothing in the middle of nowhere by a local deputy (Pasco again, go figure). If it's a residential 45, thats one thing. An uninhabited, or commercial (a la the Veterans expressway where it enteres the City of Tampa) is quite another. Not saying it's "right", just less of a big deal to me.

The people that really give us a bad name are the 30 in a 50 types......
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #22
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Quote:
92 in a 45???? You give all Vette owners a bad name. Grow up and drive like a responsible adult!! You should lose your license.

Pretty rough for your 1st post don't you think? Maybe you should introduce yourself before you go jumping on people. I seriously doubt any of us drive within the speed limit all the time in our 'vettes. If we did, we might as well own a Chevy Aveo. No danger of speeding there. I'm not trying to condone going 92 in a 45 but everyone makes mistakes now and then. Hopefully, we learn from them and don't do it twice. Just my .02
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #23
lefoy84
Exalted Member

Name :
lefoy84 is on a distinguished road

I meant every word I said. Defend his actions any way you wish. Rarely visit this site and have never felt the need to post before I read about this episode.
lefoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #24
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I meant every word I said. Defend his actions any way you wish. Rarely visit this site and have never felt the need to post before I read about this episode.
Quote:
Defend his actions any way you wish.
No one is "defending his actions." He made a mistake, he admitted it, and is paying the price (believe me, he's gonna pay the price)

Were his actions "grossly negligent?"
Possibly, depending on the locale.

Did he endanger anyone else?
I don't know, I wasn't there.

But I see no reason to insult or demean anyone over a traffic violation. If it were a DUI or other major infraction, I might agree. If he had injured someone or endangered a neighborhood, again, I might feel differently. But from what I could tell, none of these were the case.

Regardless, he violated the law, was "apprehended" (you scoundrel) and will pay his "dues."

Quote:
Rarely visit this site...
So...instead of coming on board, introducing yourself, posting up some pics, contributing to the board and makiing your self at home, you chose to sit around and lurk until you found something to bitch about? Do I have that about right?

Why not jump in on some other lively threads as well. We can use your input. Tell us a little bit about yourself, your car, your hobbies...whatever...just enjoy the site

You have to understand that around here, unlike most sites (Corvette Forum, Digital Corvettes, and the like), we're pretty well unmoderated.The mods don't edit, generally don't delete or lock threads indiscriminately because it doesn't fit the "norm." Nor do we necessarily run lockstep with the administration or anyone else. We too, say whats on our mind. We are part of the gang as well

Some sites would have locked or deleted the thread from jump, simply because it referenced a speed over the legal limit (CorvetteForum-try it there).

On the other one, the guy might have been considered a hero and the police damned for doing thier jobs

Neither will happen here!

Because we're smaller, it's more like a dysfunctional family than a website, and as we all know, families don't always get along (check out mine if you don't believe it)

Around here, people say what they mean, even if we don't agree. I respect your opinion of the OP, but like Dalton said, that's kinda rough for a 1st post.
No reason to get defensive about it, it was just his observation, as was your comment to the OP.

Of course we'd like you to stay, become a part of the group and feel welcomed. We do a lot of things and get together as much as possible. It truly is a great group of people; however, from this statement, it doesn't sound like that's going to happen:

Quote:
...have never felt the need to post before I read about this episode...
Then I guess you won't miss the place....
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #25
lefoy84
Exalted Member

Name :

I am not going anywhere. When he made that turn, he could have just as easily turned in front of your Mother. I, like most others, occasionally exceed the speed limit. 90+ in a 45 is reckless and dangerous. I didn't feel introductions were in order before I told him so. If I had been stupid enough to do that, I sure as hell wouldn't have posted it here.

I'll bet the cop said something similiar to him.
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #26
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot BluZ View Post
Here's what looks like a fairly comprehensive site on radars and radar detector operation. I didn't read through it all.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/radar-detector1.htm

The radars do operate on a fairly narrow bandwidth, but it doesn't take much of a shift to prevent interference. Detectors read these signals with varying degrees of sensitivity and only when the radar is turned on.

The ones that will really get you without any warning from your detector until it's too late are when the officer is stopped and pointing at specific vehicles. They turn the radar on so by the time your detector goes off, it's too late.

When the troopers are driving their radar is on all the time, so the detectors will work pretty well in these circumstances and probably would have saved the OP.

The laser/lidar units are a whole different animal, so if you're buying a detector, make sure it reads that too.

As far as court, I don't have much experience in Florida, just California. So as far as an attorney, if it was California I'd say don't spend the money because you're only facing an infraction, most traffic courts will accept the request to attend traffic school for a first offense infraction. It'll still cost you in court fees and for the school, but you won't have any points on your record.

Most attorneys are going to charge you several hundred dollars for their appearance time, and that's over and above any court costs. However, they may be able to make the appearance for you so you don't miss a day of work. So you have to way the pros and cons and you comfort with handling this issue.

If you go it along, you should try to talk to the DA or bailiff before the court starts to make your request to attend traffic school. They might have literature available at the court traffic office regarding this process. Try calling the court clerk's office before your court date to see if they have any information on this, or they can probably advise you on the process.
When the troopers are driving their radar is on all the time, so the detectors will work pretty well in these circumstances and probably would have saved the OP.
^ This statement is incorrect. That went out in the 60's. I know of no law enforcement officers today that leave their units on continously. Everyone is taught in radar school to visually clock a violater before confirming it with the radar unit. We are tested and have to be within 5 mph of the actual speed. Besides, the doppler tone would drive you crazy after about five minutes!
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #27
lefoy84
Exalted Member

Name :

I don't leave home without my Valentine 1 and encounter Cops running hot quite often.
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #28
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I have to defend poor Gentle Ben .We all have weak moments.I'm willin' to bet that some of us have found a strip of road posted 60 mph in the country thats temped us.
I might be old but I didn't buy a vett to drive it like it was a Buick.
Location ,common sense and a little logic .

I wish ya luck Ben and I won't jump your azz ,lots of us have done what you did (or worse) and didn't get caught .
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #29
lefoy84
Exalted Member

Name :

"Location, sense, and a little common logic. " Sounds like all these were lacking. You know very well that a country road posted 60 and an urban road posted 45 are not the same thing.

I am certainly no saint. I have done my share of stupid things. I am assuming Gentle Ben is fairly young. He will learn that his actions were reckless. Especially when the Judge rips him a new one and he walks out with a considerably lighter wallet.

I guess it's a product of the youtube generation.
Unread 02-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #30
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You give all Vette owners a bad name.
I have a hard time believing that the OP had much to do with giving Vette owners a bad name. I have a feeling the "bad name" has been around LONG before he bought his.

Quote:
Grow up and drive like a responsible adult!!
Now that's king funny
There are Far more people out there (non vette owners) that can't even accomplish this!

Responsible adult? Where exactly would we find them???
Would they be the ones who cut people off, don't use their turn signal, don't turn their lights on while it's raining, pass on a double line, talk on their cell phone while driving, taking in the sights instead of paying attention to the road ?....

Come on now, this guy stated he was basically alone out there so, he got on it. Was it right...No, but who am I ? Hell, I brake the law (speeding) every time I'm in my Vette. Is it a stupid thing to do...Yes, but I can't help myself .

Quote:
You should lose your license.
Maybe, but I think that's a bit harsh for the first offense, or at least the first time he was caught.

...Can't we all just get along?