The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 09-28-2006, 07:43 AM   #21
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Hot Pursuit, it is quite obvious by your responce that you are a member of law enforcement and I must say that I am quite shocked by your response. If driving 87 mph over the posted speed limit isn't considered driving to endanger or reckless driving I am truely amazed. At the speed of 157 mph a vehicle is no longer a normal mode of transportation, I would think it is just as dangereous as a loaded weapon. At that speed, a wet spot, a small animal in the road, or even the slightest steering correction could quickly become a major problem for any car. There can be absolutely no excuse for traveling at 157 mph on a public road period and to let someone walk away who has put themself, their wife, the cop chasing him or anyone else on the road at the time in that kind of danger is absolutely mind boogling. I realize living here in Florida with the amount of drugs, murders, rapes and child molesters there are, that traffic violations are not nearly as important, but 87 mph over the speed limit is a bit excessive. I guess when it comes to the actual law I must be totally ignorant and wrong in my thinking.

I realize that there are no quota's, or writing tickets doesn't affect your pay, as it shouldn't, but I just can't fathom that this kind of violation would ever go with no penalty whatsoever. I would think just the fact that he forced the cop to chase him and stop him for that speed would be enough to piss him off just by the persons total disregard for the law, but to think that he would be let off scott free because he showed remorse or drove the same kind of car is astonishing, from a civilian point of view you understand.

I've heard many Thanksgiving and Christmas stories from my Uncle Bill who was a Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles Inspector for 35 plus years, (before department consolidation they had the same powers as any other police officer and were tougher than other cops and were feared by kids who modified their cars), or from my friend Tony's Uncle Mimi who was a Boston motorcycle cop forever, or from his two sons who are both Maine State Troopers, but I can't ever recall a story of someone doing over 150 miles per hour on a public road and being let go. I guess the troopers in Mass must be nastier than here in Fla.

I certainly hope that if I get stopped again it is by you or by another LEO who owns a Vette or an Envoy because like everyone else who commits a speeding violation I am remorseful, and sorry that I was speeding, even sorrier that I got caught instead of someone else and with my luck the cop will hate Vettes because he drives a Mustang GT or a Viper.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #22
DWALK'00

Name :
DWALK'00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having said that 157 MPH is definetly a great ticket to write. It however is [U
not a criminal offense by itself[/u]. Speed in and of itself is an infraction, not a crime. The exception to that rule is things like weather conditions, other traffic (pedestrians and cars in area), cross traffic (possible streets or driveways a car could pull out of etc). If you have these factors then the speed becomes a danger to the public around you. The action becomes dangerous to the life limb and property of those around the violator because of his actions then it becomes RECKLESS DRIVING. Reckless driving IS a crime, and normally results in a minimum of an arrest.:
Nytro
Going on this statement he would have just been speeding based on location
(I75 north of Tampa) I don't think there are to many cross streets or pedestrians out thir in the middle of the knight. Under the circumstances it would just have been speeding and although it is not fair it would just have been a ticket. Unfortionatly the rest of us just are not that lucky and would not get away with it.
Four Rockferd Fozgate 10" subs, 1200w Kicker amp.
DWALK'00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #23
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Nytro,

What you're saying is totally true. Everything the violator is doing is wrong...period!

The difference is, in Florida, based IIRC on a Supreme Court ruling, speed alone, minus the presence of any mitigating factors, in not a criminal violation...it's just excessive speed.

Add just about any of the factors you or Hot Pursuit mentioned and you now have RECKLESS DRIVING, which under Florida statutes is a criminal violation.

It's not that difficult to turn "speed" into a criminal violation. It's simply that most of us don't do it.

I've been a LEO for almost 30 years and the fastest I've ever stopped anyone and issued them a citation for is 127MPH. That was a Porsche that was just runnignh throught the gears and hadn't even gotten it wound up yet

As a retired motorcycle cop, we issued a lot of citations (about 20-25/day), but also issued about twice the number of warnings. You'd get a warning somtimes simply due to your attitude or demeanor. Right or wrong, we still have the discretion and believe me, you wouldn't want that taken away

Currently, I seldom issue citations. I spend most of the time on duty, using speed and other violations as PC for the stop and looking for drugs/weapons/gang activity/warrants, etc.
If I don't find any indication of the aforementioned, I'll usually issue a warning unless the infraction warrants a cite.

About the only part of HP's post I didn't agree with and it's such a minor issue it wasn't worth debating is this:

One exception (and we were only taking about 1 car speeding excessivly in the previous posting) is "Racing on the highways". Racing doesn't actually need high speeds, and can be a slow down next to another car (obviously below the speed limit for a "rolling start") with the intent of competing in a speed contest where the endurance, speed, or stamina of the car will be tested in a race to a point off in the distance.

Although taken almost vberbaitim from FS, you'd have to show the intent to race to charge someone with the above for slowing down side by side. Of course in car video may do the trick, but otherwise you're mindreading and unless certified in same, you may lose the case

Racing can still be charged when only one vehicle is present:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC191.HTM&Title=->2006->Ch0316->Section%20191#0316.191

b) "Drag race" means the operation of two or more motor vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more motor vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such motor vehicle or motor vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

And this is where the officer "could" have used this statute to make it criminal (depending on when that stop was made. This statute is fairly recent)

(c) "Racing" means the use of one or more motor vehicles in an attempt to outgain or outdistance another motor vehicle, to prevent another motor vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another motor vehicle or motor vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.

He'd have had to use some creative writing but it could have been done.

"If" the driver changed lanes at all during this little ride he could have used this one:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC1923.HTM&Title=->2006->Ch0316->Section%201923#0316.1923

Aggressive careless driving.--"Aggressive careless driving" means committing two or more of the following acts simultaneously or in succession:

(1) Exceeding the posted speed as defined in s. 322.27(3)(d)5.b.

(2) Unsafely or improperly changing lanes as defined in s. 316.085.

(3) Following another vehicle too closely as defined in s. 316.0895(1).

(4) Failing to yield the right-of-way as defined in s. 316.079, s. 316.0815, or s. 316.123.

(5) Improperly passing as defined in s. 316.083, s. 316.084, or s. 316.085.

(6) Violating traffic control and signal devices as defined in ss. 316.074 and 316.075.

And finally, just FYI, here's the Florida Uniform Traffic Code on unlawful speed:

316.183 Unlawful speed.--

(1) No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall be controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle, or other conveyance or object on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.
(2) On all streets or highways, the maximum speed limits for all vehicles must be 30 miles per hour in business or residence districts, and 55 miles per hour at any time at all other locations. However, with respect to a residence district, a county or municipality may set a maximum speed limit of 20 or 25 miles per hour on local streets and highways after an investigation determines that such a limit is reasonable. It is not necessary to conduct a separate investigation for each residence district. The minimum speed limit on all highways that comprise a part of the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways and have not fewer than four lanes is 40 miles per hour, except that when the posted speed limit is 70 miles per hour, the minimum speed limit is 50 miles per hour.

(3) No school bus shall exceed the posted speed limits, not to exceed 55 miles per hour at any time.

(4) The driver of every vehicle shall, consistent with the requirements of subsection (1), drive at an appropriately reduced speed when:

(a) Approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing;

(b) Approaching and going around a curve;

(c) Approaching a hill crest;

(d) Traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway; and

(e) Any special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

(5) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(6) No driver of a vehicle shall exceed the posted maximum speed limit in a work zone area.

(7) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

He's also correct that we are judged on overall activity. Some departments and supervisors like to see a lot of tickets. Even though traffic enforcement and safety is a primary function of the FHP, they are pretty decent about cutting a motorist some slack when it's needed. It's been my obeservation that they are better than most local and county agencies in doing so.

Some supervisors use traffic as a means to show that the officer was awake all shift and actually proactive in his efforts. You'd be surprised what you can find or find out during a traffic stop.

I've cut major speed violators a break before just because I thought they deservedit. I might have been wrong but it's likely that if I was, they'll be back and I'll be waiting.

Drink and drive however and we get to partay.....

Hope some of those links serve to help clarify a few points in this matter?

Later,

Gordon

Again, in his defense, right or wrong, we still have the discretion and God Forbid they take that away
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #24
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Default Busted!!!!

Busted!!!!

Last edited by JIM KILL; 05-02-2008 at 08:42 AM.
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #25
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

I read your reply Gordon and once again I am amazed at my ignorance of the law. I can only base my comments on personal experiences and I guess I must have either a rotten attitude or my looks must be offensive because I have never gotten a warning. Now I certainly have enough sense not to be antoganistic towards a LEO who ever stopped me, I mean thats just looking for trouble to give him or her a hard time. In my 37 years of driving I have gotten stopped six times for speeding, the fastest doing 68 in a 55, and gotten a ticket I have had to pay every time. My wife got stopped in Tampa last year for doing 36 in a 25 and got a ticket for $169.00. I realize that from a civilian point of view, and from a LEO point of view everything is different, I mean you guys are use to dealing with criminals and people who would think nothing of harming you or me, but from my point of view it is unimaginable to think that a person doing 157 mph in a 70, 87 mph over the legally posted speed limit would be able to walk away scott free for any reason at all, whether it's because of the car he drives, how nice he appears to be, how short her skirt is or how much her boobs are hanging out. So please enlighten me. I watch COPS and I know that when you get stopped it is important to keep your hands visable, be polite, when asked for your registration and license tell the officer where they are and that you are going to get them, don't pretend not to know why you have been stopped, how do you get that LEO to write you a warning instead of a ticket with a fine ?

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #26
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

I'm 6 for 12 on getting warnings instead of tickets.

Tickets:
55 in a 35
81 in a 45
93 in a 45
78 in a 45
50 in a 35
60 in a 45 but LEO knocked it to "Violation of a speed sign"

Warnings
Spinning tires in a parking lot
80 in a 55 (in N.J.)
75 in a 45
55 in a 45
65 in a 45
Speeding (Accelerating through the gears and chirping tires)

There is one thing I always do since most of mine are at night (work nights). No matter what I'm driving, I'll have all the windows down, interior light on and my hands visibly on the steering wheel. I always have a pleasant demeanor, sir or ma'am them a lot and be truthful. I've done a ride along before and it opened my eyes to a lot of things. We've all seen COPS on FOX and it just gives you a glimpse of all the stress that these ladies and gents are under. I know I couldn't do it. Thanks to all of the men and women in blue...well green in some areas.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 10:52 PM   #27
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

NYTRO,

Borther I can't explain or necessarily justify it As a matter of fact, unless you were on a totally straight portion of the interstate, totally devoid of other traffic, I'd probably have written the citation, vette or no vette. I might have broken it down a bit for you to give you a bit of a break, but I'd have still likely written it.

Now, for this:

...how short her skirt is or how much her boobs are hanging out.

Come on man, give a brother a break!! I'm only human after all....

Later man and stay safe,

Gordon

RIP to the 2 lost brothers in Polk County...
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #28
sandman

Name :
sandman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Stupid here??

So your driving down the road in your Vette. All nice and comfy, Right? Well before my Vette I owned a GSXR600r. Wow not to big of a motor huh? Well don't let the 600cc engine fool ya. With a bypassed Govenor in it I must say that I don't think there is a car that could keep up. Call it luck stupidity or just pure adrenalin. I would pass LEO's at 180mph and wave as I did. Stupid I know. Not to piss them off just a very small three finger hey whats up. They are not going to chase a crotch rocket at 180mph. I had even passed 2 motorcycle cops only doing 90 through an intersection and waved as they looked at me go by. Stupid I know. My favorite was going over the sky bridge . Full throttle up and down the bridge. Stupid I know. If there was no place for me to drive I would just go between semi's or cars, on the shoulder or just plain squeeze my way through. Of course doing around 180 -200. Everywhere I went. Stupid I know. But then one day on my way to work at 4:30 am a LEO was waiting just for me over this bridge. That is correct. He was just waiting for me. As soon as I crested the top of this small little bridge I immediately saw him and let go of the throttle. Before this determined LEO got his car turned around I had already stopped and was on the side of the road ,sitting patiently for him or her.Smart not stupid!! I was only doing 55 in a 35. Of course it didn't turn 35 till you got off the bridge but I was not about to let off the throttle until I saw him. He said that he has had several PERSONAL phone calls of a motorcycle driving fast through there. He said that he can't prove that it was me but I needed to slow down. He was probably told it was neon yellow. I had just changed my plastics on my bike the day before to grey. HAHAHAHA. Fooled him. I got a very nice warning. But you know what I learned from That. Up until some azz stole my beloved rocket I never sped over that bridge again. It didn't stop my other foolish driving habits. Now I own a vette and the funny thing is I very rarely speed. Sound Stupid? I don't know . I guess I have had so many close calls driving like a jack azz on my bike that I want to stick around some more and just know that I have the power under my But. I think I have had enough adrenilin shots for a guy who is 41. Never been pulled over in my Vette. I guess maybe I should go a little faster.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #29
sandman

Name :
Default correct me if I am wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Nytro,

What you're saying is totally true. Everything the violator is doing is wrong...period!

The difference is, in Florida, based IIRC on a Supreme Court ruling, speed alone, minus the presence of any mitigating factors, in not a criminal violation...it's just excessive speed.

Add just about any of the factors you or Hot Pursuit mentioned and you now have RECKLESS DRIVING, which under Florida statutes is a criminal violation.

It's not that difficult to turn "speed" into a criminal violation. It's simply that most of us don't do it.

I've been a LEO for almost 30 years and the fastest I've ever stopped anyone and issued them a citation for is 127MPH. That was a Porsche that was just runnignh throught the gears and hadn't even gotten it wound up yet

As a retired motorcycle cop, we issued a lot of citations (about 20-25/day), but also issued about twice the number of warnings. You'd get a warning somtimes simply due to your attitude or demeanor. Right or wrong, we still have the discretion and believe me, you wouldn't want that taken away

Currently, I seldom issue citations. I spend most of the time on duty, using speed and other violations as PC for the stop and looking for drugs/weapons/gang activity/warrants, etc.
If I don't find any indication of the aforementioned, I'll usually issue a warning unless the infraction warrants a cite.

About the only part of HP's post I didn't agree with and it's such a minor issue it wasn't worth debating is this:

One exception (and we were only taking about 1 car speeding excessivly in the previous posting) is "Racing on the highways". Racing doesn't actually need high speeds, and can be a slow down next to another car (obviously below the speed limit for a "rolling start") with the intent of competing in a speed contest where the endurance, speed, or stamina of the car will be tested in a race to a point off in the distance.

Although taken almost vberbaitim from FS, you'd have to show the intent to race to charge someone with the above for slowing down side by side. Of course in car video may do the trick, but otherwise you're mindreading and unless certified in same, you may lose the case

Racing can still be charged when only one vehicle is present:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC191.HTM&Title=->2006->Ch0316->Section%20191#0316.191

b) "Drag race" means the operation of two or more motor vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more motor vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such motor vehicle or motor vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

And this is where the officer "could" have used this statute to make it criminal (depending on when that stop was made. This statute is fairly recent)

(c) "Racing" means the use of one or more motor vehicles in an attempt to outgain or outdistance another motor vehicle, to prevent another motor vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another motor vehicle or motor vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.

He'd have had to use some creative writing but it could have been done.

"If" the driver changed lanes at all during this little ride he could have used this one:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC1923.HTM&Title=->2006->Ch0316->Section%201923#0316.1923

Aggressive careless driving.--"Aggressive careless driving" means committing two or more of the following acts simultaneously or in succession:

(1) Exceeding the posted speed as defined in s. 322.27(3)(d)5.b.

(2) Unsafely or improperly changing lanes as defined in s. 316.085.

(3) Following another vehicle too closely as defined in s. 316.0895(1).

(4) Failing to yield the right-of-way as defined in s. 316.079, s. 316.0815, or s. 316.123.

(5) Improperly passing as defined in s. 316.083, s. 316.084, or s. 316.085.

(6) Violating traffic control and signal devices as defined in ss. 316.074 and 316.075.

And finally, just FYI, here's the Florida Uniform Traffic Code on unlawful speed:

316.183 Unlawful speed.--

(1) No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall be controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle, or other conveyance or object on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.
(2) On all streets or highways, the maximum speed limits for all vehicles must be 30 miles per hour in business or residence districts, and 55 miles per hour at any time at all other locations. However, with respect to a residence district, a county or municipality may set a maximum speed limit of 20 or 25 miles per hour on local streets and highways after an investigation determines that such a limit is reasonable. It is not necessary to conduct a separate investigation for each residence district. The minimum speed limit on all highways that comprise a part of the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways and have not fewer than four lanes is 40 miles per hour, except that when the posted speed limit is 70 miles per hour, the minimum speed limit is 50 miles per hour.

(3) No school bus shall exceed the posted speed limits, not to exceed 55 miles per hour at any time.

(4) The driver of every vehicle shall, consistent with the requirements of subsection (1), drive at an appropriately reduced speed when:

(a) Approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing;

(b) Approaching and going around a curve;

(c) Approaching a hill crest;

(d) Traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway; and

(e) Any special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

(5) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(6) No driver of a vehicle shall exceed the posted maximum speed limit in a work zone area.

(7) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

He's also correct that we are judged on overall activity. Some departments and supervisors like to see a lot of tickets. Even though traffic enforcement and safety is a primary function of the FHP, they are pretty decent about cutting a motorist some slack when it's needed. It's been my obeservation that they are better than most local and county agencies in doing so.

Some supervisors use traffic as a means to show that the officer was awake all shift and actually proactive in his efforts. You'd be surprised what you can find or find out during a traffic stop.

I've cut major speed violators a break before just because I thought they deservedit. I might have been wrong but it's likely that if I was, they'll be back and I'll be waiting.

Drink and drive however and we get to partay.....

Hope some of those links serve to help clarify a few points in this matter?

Later,

Gordon

Again, in his defense, right or wrong, we still have the discretion and God Forbid they take that away

Gordon,
Correct me if I am wrong but there is one that you left out and that is " Driving in a manner not reasonable or proper". I got that ticket mailed to me by a OHP in Oklahoma and he never even layed eyes on me. I took it to court and won but that is what he said I was doing in his opinion. Remember He never even saw me riding. he heard rumor about it and then sent the ticket in the mail. Gosh I am so glad I don't live in Oklahoma anymore.
Unread 08-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #30
sandman

Name :
Thumbs up Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Why doesn't the land of the free and home of the brave have an "autobahn"?
\
Actually Rich in most of Germany ( I can't speak for other European countries) there are now speed limits on certain areas of the Autobahn. Off ramps, on ramps and when coming close to a city etc.. I only know this because of first hand experience and half my Family is German and live there. But hey it's the thought that counts. Oh and instead of LEO's waiting in the center median waiting for you they have ambulances waiting for you. To wreck. No Shipt.