The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 05-04-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Silent tire smoking.....

Today I had to run some errands in town and it was such a nice day and I knew I had so much work waiting for me back at home, that I went on down to Panacea to visit my wife at work at Myway Seafood. Just killing some time and one of the young guys who works there was talking about the muscle cars he wants to buy sometime. Well when I was leaving, I noticed he was standing at the end of the building watching my Z pull around the far driveway, so I put it into Competitive Mode and eased out on to route 98. I just floated up to 25 mph and then just tromped the gas pedal to the floor. Damn second gear came FAST! First time I have done this since putting the headers on. When I hit second, I heard a slight chirp of the rear tires, and I thought it kind of strange that I didn't get more tire spin then that. Well since this was a 35 mph zone, I had to come down off of it pretty quickly, and then just cruised on home.

I more then half expected the wife to berate me for acting like a damned fool leaving the market, but all she said was "you sure were smoking those tires, weren't you boy?" She said the I left one hell of a smoke trail and it wasn't coming from the exhaust pipes. Rather then being angry she said she was jumping up and down with excitement and seeing me rocket out of there. She said it looked like just a blue streak going down the road. The boss of the place just said to my wife "That thing is pretty darned fast, isn't it?" I think they both expect me to kill myself with it one day.

Anyway, the point of this is, are the Michelin tires just prone to being nearly noiseless when they break traction? I swear, except for that chirp in second, I didn't hear a thing. Or maybe the exhaust just drowned it out? Back in the "old days" when I would burn out with my GTO, the noise sounded like someone had thrown a bushell basket full of cats under the wheels. You KNEW you were burning rubber!

And the car was straight as an arrow, where I would have expected some rear end movement torquing to the passenger side.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

I don't have any experience with the Michelin's. Sometimes I've noticed with some of the tires that I've had, it makes a difference what type of pavement you are on. Concrete doesn't chirp that much and the tar and asphalt do.

I have the BF Goodrich KDW2's on mine. I hit it hard the other day going from first to second and mine seemed like they made a longer spin and chirp than with the stock Goodyear SC's.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road
Default Envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I more then half expected the wife to berate me for acting like a damned fool leaving the market, but all she said was "you sure were smoking those tires, weren't you boy?" She said the I left one hell of a smoke trail and it wasn't coming from the exhaust pipes. Rather then being angry she said she was jumping up and down with excitement and seeing me rocket out of there. She said it looked like just a blue streak going down the road.
Man, I envy you Rich. When the wife is out with me in the Vette all I hear is "Speed limit is 60 here", "Traffic slowing ahead", "Be careful", "How fast are you going?".
Not that I have a heavy foot but I like to become part of the car. I have a 6Manual and I love to go through the gears.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Tear it up!

YOU BIG SHOW OFF!!!
I can imagine the look on his face .

He'll be telling all of his Rice Burner buddies about this for weeks to come.

Ill bet now, the Vette just rose to the top of his Wish list of Muscle Cars.
ynkedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou G
Man, I envy you Rich. When the wife is out with me in the Vette all I hear is "Speed limit is 60 here", "Traffic slowing ahead", "Be careful", "How fast are you going?".
Not that I have a heavy foot but I like to become part of the car. I have a 6Manual and I love to go through the gears.
Oh don't get me wrong! My wife is VERY aware of the speed limits and does keep me informed while I am driving... The difference was that she was an outside observer in this case instead of having her foot on the passenger side brake pedal.

But she doesn't have a fear of fast cars at all. While growing up her brother was into hot cars and they would always go on rides (as long as she would pony up for gas money for *his* car, that is).
Unread 11-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad
Ill bet now, the Vette just rose to the top of his Wish list of Muscle Cars.
Got that right.

Rich, you did a Good Thing.
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #7
Rich Z

Aw heck, Corvettes are actually rather rare in this neck of the woods. GM should give me a medal (or I would settle for a '07 C6 Z06 instead) for all of the local kids that now have a Corvette in their dreams. Matter of fact, a guy that works for me has a 12 year old daughter who now says she wants to have a blue Corvette when she grows up.
Unread 11-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou G
Lou G my wife is just like yours.I try to get her to take my pics of me while i was smokin those bald tires i had .All i got was, i am not takin any pics of you destory that car Damm women it's a corvette for gods sake.And BTW the tires are bald so i am not hurting any thing RichZ U R lucky guy to have your woman to give you a on your burn out
Unread 11-13-2006, 01:32 AM   #9
Rich Z

Man, you all really have NO idea how lucky I am to have Connie. Everything else in the universe all rolled up into one is not worth what she is worth to me. I just wish the hell I would show it all of the time.....
Unread 11-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Default LIGHT THEM UP!!!

Last edited by JIM KILL; 05-02-2008 at 08:46 AM.
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote