The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Scam Alert

I would think this was pure BS but it just happened to Star & I.

We received our Alltel bill and there was a $9.99 charge on it for "Purchased Items". I called Alltel to inquire as to what I "purchased" and they could only tell me that it was from a "third party" and more or less pay it or else! We went over to the local Alltel store and was asked if I had lately received a TEXT MESSAGE? I told them we do not have that service and have only received messages from Alltel. "Not so" said he. ANYONE can text you even if you don't have the service. I had recently received a text from DADA.NET and after seeing it was an advertisment for downloading music, I ignored it. MISTAKE!!! It was a telemarketing company offering music. By not answering them back with a "NO", I automatically accepted the offer and was on the hook for $9.99 MONTHLY!!! According to Alltel it is entirely legal and there is nothing they (or any other cell company for that matter) can do about it. They took it off my bill and I had our phones blocked for any future "offers". So people, be warned and do not ignore any offers from any person or firm or you may not be so lucky to be informed about this SCAM!!! And don't think if you are on a "NO CALL" list it won't happen. NO CALL doesn't apply to texting!

How can something like this be legal? It is a open scam and in my mind downright illegal!!!

Jim & Star
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I have Verizon and had the same problem.I don't use Tex Messaging.They blocked all Tex'es.End of problem.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

I would be writing a email to them expressing your thoughts.

In order for your subscription to be activated though from phone, you should have had to enter a pin code from what their site says.

Ive gotten a couple spam texts on my phone i just delete them and have yet to see any weird service charges.
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Man, that sounds like a load of BS to me. They can't do it that way via regular phone messages or mail. It would be like getting junk mail saying that unless you send back the enclosed card (oops! forgot to enclose it..), you will be accepting a subscription to all of the listed magazines..... Bill will follow....

Speaking of which, I've got to trade in my old analog bag cell phone before the end of the month. We only carry it for emergency calls while on the road. So I have to get a new one that is digital. They try to pawn that crap on me, I'll just take the phone back to them and tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. It will be small enough, so it shouldn't cause them undue discomfort.
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Man, that sounds like a load of BS to me. They can't do it that way via regular phone messages or mail. It would be like getting junk mail saying that unless you send back the enclosed card (oops! forgot to enclose it..), you will be accepting a subscription to all of the listed magazines..... Bill will follow....

Speaking of which, I've got to trade in my old analog bag cell phone before the end of the month. We only carry it for emergency calls while on the road. So I have to get a new one that is digital. They try to pawn that crap on me, I'll just take the phone back to them and tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. It will be small enough, so it shouldn't cause them undue discomfort.
Can You Hear Me Now?
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:46 AM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
Can You Hear Me Now?
No. You might need to stand up........
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Exactly

Here is what was on the phone via text:

"From: 63232
Get more cool stuff on www.dada.net. This month, activate the AP News text alerts & get the latest news on ur cell! Help?
helpus@dada.net.
Stop2quit. $9.99/mo
3:30pm 3/21/08"

Not being text literate, I though it was from Alltel and ignored it. Tell me, what would y'all do and where would you go to cancel it even if you suspected something? If you go to their website it has a bunch of stuff to order including ring tones but no where to actually cancel anything. As I said, this should not be legal.
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

I got my first spam text last night at 3:30 am. It was gibrish, and didn't make any real sense. I hope I don't get bombed with some BS charge on my bill now. I deleted it before I thought to write it down.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote