The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
vettejack

Name : Jack Legere
vettejack is on a distinguished road
Default Dead battery in my 82. Need help!

I have a 1982 Corvette Collectors Edition. First the alternator was replaced...then the battery. The battery showed that it was charging while driving. After a day or two while parked, the brand new battery is completely drained of any charge. I'm having to remove it from the car to try and get a charge back on it, but now the car is on its 3rd battery after being sucked dry of its power each and every replacement. :willy: :toetap:

Need some good professional opinions/advice/servicing/expertise on what is going on with my electrics on this car! And then how to fix it so I can get this beauty back on the road with the rest of the Corvette Nation!
vettejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

Sound like a short in the coil or a bad ground.possible loss fuses.check all wiring for losseness.Just some idea's that are easy to do.
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:53 AM   #3
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Here is another thought...not that I get very many.. but you seem to have a constant drain on your battery, if the alternator is charging now, it won't be for long. Not only is it charging to supply current to the battery and electrical system of the car, it is also charging to overcome the "short" somewhere in the electrical system that is causing the drain on the battery.

You might try looking at the primary system,(starter,solenoid,etc), and old starter or bendix or solenoid can still work but have a "short" that allows voltage to flow to ground. Be sure to check ALL your courtesy lights, one left on can run a battery down after a couple of days.

You might want to head to some place like PepBoys or Advance to have your system checked for free, have them check for a current flow with everything OFF.

Thats about all the thinkin' I can do for a while.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
vettejack

Name : Jack Legere
vettejack is on a distinguished road

Thanks Joe (et al others)!

I've posted the same question on the National Vette Forum and I'm getting tons of advice and suggestions. Only with this car can you find such help from the nicest car owners out there!

I think I may have found the issue and that is one of the wire leads (positive) coming off the alternator has simply rotted (corrosion) away from the threaded stud. I ran out of daylight before I could get the fan belt back on. I'm still taking the CE into the dealership to have a full dioagnostic performed to see if I've chuncked any ECM codes/modules.
vettejack is offline   Reply With Quote