The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 06-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Living in the country...

Living in the country just doesn't seem to be like it appears on TV and in the movies...... Or maybe it's just here in North Florida that appears to be nature against man. Moving into the woods does appear to have significant drawbacks to your sanity.

Today started off normally. I opened my eyes. Then it started going downhill.

Connie wasn't anywhere to be seen, so I went out to hunt her down. She was clearing away the brush around the Onan automatic generator with a scowl on her face. Uh oh... She said she tried to test the generator (which admittedly we haven't done for quite a while), and although the generator itself started up, the power didn't switch on in the buildings from it. Figuring we were going to have to take a look, she was clearing all the plants from around it that grew up and in since the last time we needed to get near the thing.

Enter Rich Z.....

So, I pulled off the panels around the generator and saw clear evidence that we had some animals who had decided that the generator case made a real dandy place to live. From the appearance of the pile of droppings, probably rats. Now a few years ago, we had a similar problem with our vehicles. The Jeep, Silverado, and Astro van ALL got the wiring chewed up by some rats suddenly appearing and taking up residence in those vehicles. This was pre-Corvette, fortunately..... Cost us several thousand dollars for repairs to get them running again after the chewed up wiring was repaired. Hated to do it, but we put out poison to take care of that problem, which did work. I just hate the stuff because of the collateral damage it can cause, but really couldn't see any alternatives. Live traps? After causing all that damage and expense? Hell no! I wanted those suckers DEAD!

Which reminds me, I had better check under the hood of all the vehicles today....

Not only rats, but evidently field mice as well are in the generator. There is a control box with the power distribution cables going in it with just enough room for a small mouse to squeeze through. I took off the cover, and sure enough, there was a nest in there. So apparently we had families of two different rodents living in there. I saw some wires chewed on in the control box, but nothing looked chewed all the way through that I could see. But even after scraping and blowing all that crap out of the generator, we still had the same symptoms: Generator motor starts up, but doesn't transfer power to the building. I do hope Murphy's Law isn't looking in, because if he is, sure as hell, we will have a power outage today. I still have a manual generator in the work room, and could syphon some gasoline out of one of the vehicles, but that would be a pain in the butt after the money we spent on that automatic generator. So it appears a service call is in order on Monday to get this fixed.

With all the woods we have around us, what in the WORLD are these varmints thinking that they have to get into our vehicles and equipment like a generator? You would think the smell of snakes that we have here would keep the damned things MILES away. Maybe that's the ticket. Instead of selling off surplus adults like I do, just release them and let them chase down the varmints. Fight fire with fire, as such.....
Unread 06-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Hey Rich,

About Midway thru your post, I was thinking The same as you... Doesn't Rich have the perfect rodent control at his disposal? and it's all Natural!

Fortunately, our rats live out in the barn area only.
We'd go out to feed the horses and one or more would take off and scare the hell out of ya. Talk about a Blast to the Ticker ! But, I've put out rat poison and pretty much gotten them under control now.

Good Luck!

~Ray
Unread 06-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Rich, if you need someone local to work on your generator, call Dennis Pitts with Integrity Electric. He's worked with those systems for years starting when he was in the Coast Guard and got sent to Miami for Hurricane Andrew mop-up. I've worked with him in the past, a very honest, ethical man.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Since we have an overabundance of feral cats we have not seen a rat in a long time. The cats are a nuisance but the rats are disgusting to say the least
Unread 06-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Hey Rich
What's the update on your rodent problem? Got your generator up and running?
Unread 06-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

All you guys are lucky!! Where I live (Pinellas Co.) there is no country..., simply masses of humanity. If I could sell the house I would get out quickly
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
newskatercat

Name :
newskatercat has disabled reputation

Like most people in my area I keep my boat on a lift in back of the house. While raising the boat out of the water I almost tipped my boat over ! Blackbirds built a nest in one of two, boat lift motors. Port motor was raising, after short while, Starbord not! I wasn't paying continual attention like mandatory . What a sight! Boat wasn't quite 90 degrees when I finally woke up.
newskatercat is offline   Reply With Quote