The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 09-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #21
JimZ06

Name :
JimZ06 has disabled reputation

Sorry for the late reply...but I was a helicopter instructor pilot at NAS Whiting Field. I was briefing some students for their flight and one of my co-instructors came into the briefing spaces and told me I had to see what was on TV in the Operations office. I went and watched...angry, sad...and then watched the second one hit and I knew it was an act of war...then I was pissed beyond belief. Immediately went into the "get me ass home and pack my sea bag" so I could go to where ever the attack came from and start killin!
After 2 deployments to the theater, not enough killin being done over there. We need to stop fighting this war with policitcal correctness as the backdrop. We tied that once if I recall and left a lot incomplete.
Sorry for the rant.
JimZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #22
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

So far the impression given is that someone can attack the US of A on it's own soil and get away with it...........
Unread 10-01-2006, 07:25 AM   #23
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Default Easy to Remember the Day!!

WAS SO STRANGE.... I WAS TAKING A FLIGHT FROM TAMPA TO TALLAHASSEE. THE 7:00AM FLIGHT AND IT WAS RUNNING LATE AS NORMAL. WE LEFT THE AIRPORT (TIA) AT 8:30AM AND WERE DUE TO ARRIVE IN TALLAHASSEE AT 9:30AM. WHEN WE WERE CAME NEAR TALLAHASSEE EVERYONE WHO FLIES THIS FLIGHT NORMALLY NOTICED WE WERE OVER THE GULF, NOT LAND AS NORMAL. WE FOUND OUT LATER WHEN WE ARRIVED AT TALLAHASSEE THAT THEY DEVERTED US OUT OVER THE GULF TO AVOID US BEING NEAR DOWN TOWN TALLAHASSEE. THE FIRST HIT ON THE TOWER WAS 8:45AM...SO ARE PILOTS MUST HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED IN THE AIR TO AVOID ANY GOVERNMENT AREA, SUCH AS OUR CAPITOL. AT THE AIRPORT WE SAW LIVE COVERAGE ON TV AND ALL HEARTS SANK. NEEDLESS TO SAY MY MEETING THAT DAY WAS CANCELLED WITH THE CITY AND WE RENTED A CAR AND DROVE BACK TO TAMPA, SINCE ALL FLIGHTS WERE CANCELLED.

I FOUND A GREAT SITE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED WITH FULL HISTORY.

http://www.solcomhouse.com/Worldtradecenter.htm

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Last edited by JIM KILL; 05-02-2008 at 08:42 AM.
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #24
C5STATETROOPER
Lakeland, FL

Name :
C5STATETROOPER is on a distinguished road

I was getting ready for duty when the phone rang and it was the station advising what had just happened. I turned on the TV and watched as the second tower was being hit and listening to the Shift Commander advise that we (FHP) had be requested by Disney to assist them in quietly and calmly getting everyone out of the Magic Kingdon, EPCOT, MGM, and Animal Kingdom since Disney was one of the locations thought to be a good target.

I remember feeling sick to my stomach as I wondered what was going on in this world.

C5STATETROOPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2007, 05:43 AM   #25
larrybroga
Vett'n since 1961

Name : Larry Broga
larrybroga is on a distinguished road

On 9/11, I was a Division Commander with the Pinellas County Sheriff's office and was holding a staff meeting. I had just announced that I had turned in my retirement papers effective 11/1 when an announcement came across the p.a. telling everyone that had access to a tv to turn on CNN. All the department heads were assembled and we started to make emergency plans. It was a very tense few days for those of us who were in leadership roles, not knowing where the attack was going to lead. Some of the intel that the general public never knew of was very frightening. It is something I hope this country never has to endure again.

Growing old is inevitable !
Growing up is optional !!!!
larrybroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #26
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Actually I am very surprised that much worse hasn't happened already. With the relative ease of making SERIOUS biological weaponry as well as the ease of deployment, it is a miracle this hasn't happened yet. There must be some VERY diligent undercover defenses at work.
Unread 04-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #27
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I was assisting FDLE on a forensic site in Gadsden County. One of the other guys was taking a break and turned his radio on in his car and heard about the first plane. At that point we were under the impression that it was just an aircraft incident, but after the second one hit, we knew what was going on, we just wondered how bad it was going to get.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #28
Delta0six
Bus Driver

Name :
Delta0six has disabled reputation
Default Been away for awhile

I have been away from the forum for awhile, but when I saw this post, I had to respond.

I was on my last day of paid vacation. At the time, I was a Flight Engineer on the B-727 for Delta Air Lines.

On the morning of September 11th, 2001, I was awakened by a very freightened friend. My wife and I were temporarily staying with friends for a couple of weeks until we could close on our new home in Atlanta, GA.

When Sandy knocked on the door of the bedroom, she had panick in her voice and fear in her eyes. She told me that a Cessna had just struck one of the World Trade Center towers and that I should come down stairs to see the coverage. As Sandy and I watched the coverage, the second airplane hit and I knew that we had been attacked. My friend Sandy started to loose it at that moment and I called her husband to come home, which he did. Then I called my wife, who was on a business trip in Indianapolis, to make sure she was safe.

One of the most surreal things that happened that day, was having my FAA medical exam. As I drove to my appointment and listened to the news it was reported that another aircraft had hit the Pentagon. I remember distinctly looking up at the sky "waiting" to see an airplane heading for a target in Atlanta and at the same time thinking, that I needed to get to my appointment, so I could maintain my medical currency required by my carrer, all the time wondering if I still had a career.

I recently returned to work for Delta Air Lines to continue my aviation career, after almost 5 years of being furloughed. I still have that FAA medical certificate, and I occasionally look at it as a reminder of that day. It helps remind me of the vigilance that is now required when I go to work. Not that I need a reminder.

I will never forget that day! I can also tell you that all of the men and women that I work with at Delta will never forget that day. I'm quite sure that we will see more terrorist attacks on U.S. soil whether initiated by foreign or domestic enemies, but feel certain, that it will not be on any aircraft that I fly.

To those of you who lost someone or know somebody that did, you have my deepest sympathy.