The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 06-19-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
Delta0six
Bus Driver

Name :
Delta0six has disabled reputation
Default Help....I'm about to get divorced in Florida

Hey guys and gals,

I recently appealed to your experiences to get my car repaired for some minor cosmetic damage, but I have just experienced some damage tonight that will require much more than a good autobody tech.

I just received some terrible news tonight that my wife wants a divorce. The worst part is that I was not even home when she told me. I am on a trip with my company in Ft. Lauderdale and my home is in Orlando, FL. I have spoken to a few people in Florida who have been divorced here and have been "taken to the cleaners" in the divorce. The difference for me is that we do not have children and we make comparable income. Historically she has out earned me. I have a house that I have owned for only 8 months, which will have to be sold, but I am willing to live with the capital gains that is sure to come. I just need some advice, if you are willing to help regarding divorce and or attorneys in the Orlando (Winter Garden) area, or Orange County, FL, I would greatly apprecitate it.

My wife and I agree that the passion is lost in our marriage, but I do not want to lose my a** is court. I doubt it will end up in court since we will have to much to lose by dragging this out, but I am still concerned about having excellent representation. I have the ability to pay for a very good attorney, so if you have suggestions, please contact me.

My email is: BrianChambers333@hotmail.com

I and am to only person who has access to this account and I am pleading for your help and or input.

Thanks, Brian
Unread 06-19-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Damn..... sorry to hear that. Never been through a divorce myself, Florida or anywhere else, so I really can't help you with that aspect of it.

Good luck....
Unread 06-19-2007, 05:35 AM   #3
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I'm in the same boat as Rich Z .I have a son thats been down that road.In some states there are do it yourself divorces .In his case there we're children invalid ,but he got out of two marriages very clean.

The only advice i'd have is get a good lawyer and try to keep things civil and calm .I wish ya luck
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
sandman

Name :
sandman is on a distinguished road

I went through a divorce a long time ago in Oklahoma. I lost a chair and a lamp, and got custody of my son. I am not an expert but I will help you as much as I can. email is robert2.jones@ge.com

Rob(sandman)
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

I work cloesly with the legal community daily and several top notch familly law attorneys. Unfortunately, my base is in Tampa; however, if you want the name of the one I'd use if that were to become the case, I'll gladly supply it

Hell, he has a car, he can travel

Sorry about your situation.

If your wife has historically out earned you, you "could" end up receiving alimony. You don't have to sell the house as long as the 2 of you can agree on an equitable distribution of assets.

This could be easy (legally speaking) or you can muddle it up badly.

If it were me, I think I'd come to Tampa and talk to this guy and get a feel for what representation you may or may not need. If she's lawyered up , then you need to as well. A good lawyer will help the 2 of you through the matter at hand. A bad one will screw things up and end up costing you an arm and a leg for nothing. Some are there just for the billable hours and look for things to generate paper. Others act more as financial counselors and coaches, with your best interest in mind.

We have/had an attorney in the Orlando area on this site. Very good guy, but I don't think he does family law.

I'll pm you my number. If there's anything you need I'll do what I can.

I'm sorry for your situation and wish you the best of luck.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Brian, Florida has a "no fault" divorce system. While this works for many people that can split things up and walk away, it can get nasty. I agree that a good lawyer is your best bet and since your wife has expressed that she wants out of the marriage this may give you a small advantage. Good Luck.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 05:55 AM   #7
sandman

Name :
sandman is on a distinguished road

I certainly concur. When I got my divorce I had a good Lawyer and like I said earlier walked away with just about everything. I know material things aren't worth fighting over so let her have that stereo. You never know you might get it back. I did. My ex moved from Oklahoma to Indiana and didn't have room for my big stereo so I bought it from her for 300 dollars. She still owes me over 40,000 in back child support. But Oklahoma sucks and it is hard to collect from her. Good thing you don't have kids. But I traded my son for my stereo at the beginning. I thought it was a good trade. I raised my son on my own for 14 years. Get a good Lawyer, Just in case. You never know. At least you are prepared for the worst and striving for the best. Kind Regards
Rob (the Sandman)
P.S. And no matter how silly it sounds put everything in writing..I.E. Your divorce decree. PUT EVERYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE IN THERE. It costs a lot to modify later trust me I know.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
I certainly concur. When I got my divorce I had a good Lawyer and like I said earlier walked away with just about everything. I know material things aren't worth fighting over so let her have that stereo. You never know you might get it back. I did. My ex moved from Oklahoma to Indiana and didn't have room for my big stereo so I bought it from her for 300 dollars. She still owes me over 40,000 in back child support. But Oklahoma sucks and it is hard to collect from her. Good thing you don't have kids. But I traded my son for my stereo at the beginning. I thought it was a good trade. I raised my son on my own for 14 years. Get a good Lawyer, Just in case. You never know. At least you are prepared for the worst and striving for the best. Kind Regards
Rob (the Sandman)
P.S. And no matter how silly it sounds put everything in writing..I.E. Your divorce decree. PUT EVERYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE IN THERE. It costs a lot to modify later trust me I know.

Truer words have never been spoken Although I've never been divorced (yet), I deal with this sort of thing daily. If it's not in writing, to the courts it just doesn't exist/didn't happen

Depending on the incomes, you could do the same thing, walk away having her pay alimony. Just whatever you do, cover your "assets" and lawyer up. Once she gets one or talks with one, all bets are off.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Delta0six
Bus Driver

Name :
Delta0six has disabled reputation
Default Thank you...

Thank you everyone for your support.

I came home last night from my trip, and it was the first night that we had spoken since she told me that she wanted the divorce 3 days ago.

I was a little shocked to hear what she wanted, which really doesn't amount to much. It was so shocking that I feel like I have hurt her in such a way that she just wants out. The majority of my friends think she is quitting too soon, as we have yet to try all avenues of reconciliation, such as counseling. I mentioned counseling to her, but she is not interested in counseling. I can't even begin to tell you how hard it is to know that she does not want to even make the attempt.

Believe it or not she has offered me the house and my Vette (that must sound really awful on my part about the Vette), as well as whatever furniture that I want, for very little in exchange. I still have not had a chance to speak with an attorney yet, but I have contacted a couple of them. Thank you again Shadow!

I will keep you guys up to date as time goes on, I only hope I can somehow convince her to reconsider, the house and the car don't mean all that much to me (Well maybe the car!).

Again, I can not thank you enough for your support during this time, it is nice to know that people you have never met in person actually do care.

Talk to you soon.
Brian
Unread 06-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Man, that has to be heart rendering to go through.......... Why are some people so willing to throw away a relationship?

Out of curiosity, how long have you two been married?