The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Detailing

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Detailing The art of having gleam and sparkle in your ride and pride. From fixing an abused finish to keeping your perfect one that way.

Unread 05-01-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Waffle Weave Towel

A couple of weeks ago I needed to order a throttle body/plenum gasket for that Shaner throttle body I need to install, and I found that Ecklers had them in stock. But heck, I hated to order just that one $13 item from them, so I was thumbing through their catalog looking for some filler for the order. Well, since I am always finding a reason to wash and/or wax my Z, I noticed this ad about something called the Cobra Waffle Weave Towel (http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=126). Well that would certainly fill the ticket for what I needed. I also ordered a digital tire gauge while I was at it - the one I had has a 10 year non replaceable battery and guess what? I bought it 12 years ago and the battery is dead..... I figured it would cost me more to send it back and get the battery replaced then just buying a new one.

Anyway about this waffle towel, yeah, it sounded like hype to me, but what the heck, I'll try about anything once. Well I have now used it twice after washing the Z and I have to admit I am amazed! I can use it to thoroughly dry the entire car and although I can plainly see it soaking up all that water, when I am done, I cannot even SQUEEZE a drop of water out of it afterwards. Beats the hell out of me where the water goes to. The towel is definitely heavier, so I know the water is in there, but obviously there is room for a LOT more. I think I could throw it into the Gulf of Mexico and drain the whole darn thing.......

Anyway, just one of those things that turned out OK on a shot in the dark.
Attached Images

Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 01:08 AM   #2
Zach

Name :
Zach is on a distinguished road

I used to use a waffle wave towel on my car, however, now I use an electric leaf blower to dry it off and touch up the missed spots with a microfiber.
Unread 05-01-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
A couple of weeks ago I needed to order a throttle body/plenum gasket for that Shaner throttle body I need to install, and I found that Ecklers had them in stock. But heck, I hated to order just that one $13 item from them, so I was thumbing through their catalog looking for some filler for the order. Well, since I am always finding a reason to wash and/or wax my Z, I noticed this ad about something called the Cobra Waffle Weave Towel (http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=126). Well that would certainly fill the ticket for what I needed. I also ordered a digital tire gauge while I was at it - the one I had has a 10 year non replaceable battery and guess what? I bought it 12 years ago and the battery is dead..... I figured it would cost me more to send it back and get the battery replaced then just buying a new one.

Anyway about this waffle towel, yeah, it sounded like hype to me, but what the heck, I'll try about anything once. Well I have now used it twice after washing the Z and I have to admit I am amazed! I can use it to thoroughly dry the entire car and although I can plainly see it soaking up all that water, when I am done, I cannot even SQUEEZE a drop of water out of it afterwards. Beats the hell out of me where the water goes to. The towel is definitely heavier, so I know the water is in there, but obviously there is room for a LOT more. I think I could throw it into the Gulf of Mexico and drain the whole darn thing.......

Anyway, just one of those things that turned out OK on a shot in the dark.
I love detailing my Z and belong to several detailing forums. I have a garage full of microfiber/waffleweave clothes. Great detailing stuff. Always wash just MF and WW's by them selves and you won't have to worry about lint. Don't use fabric softener or wash soap with fragrance either. They will ruin the clothes.......Tom
Unread 05-01-2006, 01:40 AM   #4
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach
I used to use a waffle wave towel on my car, however, now I use an electric leaf blower to dry it off and touch up the missed spots with a microfiber.
Yeah, I have been using this method as well, but I think I am getting some water spots from the air actually causing some of the water to evaporate rather then blowing it OFF of the surface. So I've been modifying my methods to try to get a more effective way of doing this.

The last couple of times I washed the Z, I used this waffle weave to dry the car completely, then used the leaf blower to get all the water out of the nooks and crannies, using the towel after each section has been blown out to wipe up the water that gets blown across the body panel surfaces. This appears to be doing a better job of it then just using the leaf blower itself for the major drying.

Bear in mind that my water supply is well water, and here in north Florida (which is probably true of well water anywhere in Florida) is heavily laced with limestone and other minerals. So if it dries, it leaves a white ring of crusted mineral deposits behind.

There may be a perfect way to do this, so I am trying to figure out what they might be. Actually what I would like is to find some sort of PERFECTLY slick coating that would cause water to just slip right off the surface rather then beading up like it does with waxes and other polishes I have used. That would help things tremendously by not having all those beads with the potential of leaving rings behind if they dry before you can get them off of the surface. So far I have yet to find anything that will cause the surface to act this way.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
novass66

Name :
novass66 has disabled reputation

Rich, I purchased that same towel it works great.
novass66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

I was going to put the top down and go for a ride tomorrow but had no idea where I was headed.

Well, guess where I am going. Ecklers, here I come for a waffle towel and probably a couple of "fillers", as Rich says.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

And yes, they still have them.
Here is the current link.
Click Here

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

Lou,

If you plan on going to the Eckler's Reunion at the end of this month. You will get it for a discount at the reunion.

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
Rich Z

Yeah, I need to pick up a couple more myself. Seems that Adam's had 'em on sale a while back, I think.....
Unread 03-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #10
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK
Lou,

If you plan on going to the Eckler's Reunion at the end of this month. You will get it for a discount at the reunion.
Yes, I think they will give a 10% discount. Since I belong to the Cape Kennedy Corvette Club, I get the same discount anytime. I tried getting double discount at one of their other shows but didn't work.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote