The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 01-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Question Don't be a litter bug!

Any of you remember that slogan from oh, I guess the lat 50's or early 60's?

DON'T BE A LITTER BUG!

Evidently the problem of motorists discarding trash along the highways as they toodled along finally got to the point where nearly everyone was fed up with it. So it became a NATIONAL problem with a national program to try to make people aware of it. And it did seem to work! The trash previously noted along the roadways pretty much dried up and stopped being the national eyesore it had become.

Well I don't know what it is like in your part of Florida, but here just below the Tallahassee area, the littering problem is becoming astronomical. Connie and I drove up to Tallahassee this morning along route 319, and the amount of trash along the roads is appalling. It looked like we were driving through a dumpsite. I don't believe I can say it has always been that way here, that the locals just don't get the picture, and have NEVER gotten the picture, but it certainly has been getting noticeably worse. And I do say "locals" because I really don't think the problem is from visitors just passing on through.

We live on a dirt road, which is just a loop road off of 319. No reason for anyone but locals to use it at all, and we have a horrendous problem with trash being discarded from vehicles using that road. We have a stream that is crossed over by two bridges on the north end of our property, and it seems to be some sort of irresistible compulsion for people to throw their trash into the streams. Every year we will find deer carcasses floating in the streams during hunting season. Washing machines and tires just dropped over the side into the water. Right now there is an upside down cooler floating in the bigger of the two streams.

What the heck is WRONG with people who would soil their own nest like this? What is so tough about carrying a garbage bag in your vehicle rather than just opening the window and tossing out that MacDonald's bag wherever you happen to be at the moment? Do they do that sort of thing in their own driveway into their own lawn? Do their neighbors do it to them, so it is OK for them to do it as well? "My dad done it that way, my granddad done it that way, and by gum, I'm gonna do it that way too!" Don't they see the mess along the roads while they are driving that they and others just like them are causing?

Oh, and here's a kicker! It seems that the age old method of discarding your trash in bulk around here is to throw it all into your pickup truck (the bags untied, of course), put the tailgate DOWN, and then drive around as fast as you can until the trash has all blown out the back. When the trash is gone, your job is done.......... Head on back for home, boy!

So is this a problem just HERE, or do you all have that going on around you as well?
Unread 01-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

It is a very sad situation. Stop at any intersection and just look at the trash that is built up. The cigarette are what really gets to me. If you want to smoke in your car, then use your ash tray. The world is not your ash tray. I just want to go dump a few thousand butts in their front yard and see how they like it.
At the end of the week, my Escape needs to be cleaned out from all of the water and soda bottles, lunch on the run bags and what ever. Yeah, ride with me on Thursday or Friday and you will think I am a trash collector. But I would rather be a trash collector than a litter bug.

All I can see is the commercial where the Indian has a tear running down his face because of the litter.

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Yup...

it's pitiful the way people treat our word!
Like Steve, the cigarette butts really p!ss me off, especially when they're thrown out their window at a high rate of speed and I have to dodge them! Not to mention those that toss them out while there's a high risk of starting a fire!
In TX, they have a law where if you lose trash out the rear end of your moving vehicle (truck) they'll ticket ya . They don't even allow ya to drive with your tailgate open, if there's Anything in the bed of the truck. Say what you will about the State, but..."Don't Mess with Texas"!
Anyway, here it's not SO bad. Yes we have a few areas that could use some help, but nothing like you describe RichZ.
Unread 01-23-2007, 11:57 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Unread 01-24-2007, 04:43 AM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

I've actually had people tell me they threw thier cigarette out the window because they didn't want to "dirty thier ash tray!!!"

Ok, you don't mind f**kin' up your lungs, burning down the woods and such (it was during drought conditions), but God forbid you mess up your ash tray!!!!????

...sign here...... (BTW, can't do that unless special drought orders are in place ).

I used to tell people in motorcycle classes I taught, that they had to remain vigilant for debris, even on the interstates. Hell, there's enough junk on the highway in 100 miles to furnish a 3 bedroom home!!!!

It really is a bad situation
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #6
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking Trash

IS THIS CONSIDERED TRASH?

Last edited by JIM KILL; 05-02-2008 at 12:52 PM.
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default OMG Jim!

Say it aint so!!!
Unread 01-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

My EYES!!!!!!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #9
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM KILL
IS THIS CONSIDERED TRASH?
Yeah.........and so is the driver! GOD is that a butt-ugly picture!
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
Rathbone

Name :
Rathbone has disabled reputation

I moved down here less than a year ago and I'd say the litter bug problem is way out of hand down here. It's not this bad in other parts of the country. People here have no respect for anything.
Rathbone is offline   Reply With Quote