The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 01-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #1271
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

@gmjunkie - your avatar makes me remember NY and COLD
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #1272
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoysz16 View Post
You can measure with existing english wrenches just dont use steel ones on the fittings. THe AN -X is system for Army/Navy specifications. However the numbers actually correspond to 16ths of an inch so a AN-6 is 6/16" or 3/8". AN-8 is 8/16" or 1/2". An AN-10 would be 10/16" or 5/8". Hope this helps to at least measure what you have vs. what is called for.
Yes, where I first went wrong with those measurements is that it indicates INSIDE diameter, and not outside diameter. The problem is, the very first time you are exposed to this problem of figuring out what you have on assembled hoses, you really can't tell what the inside dimensions are. So, of course, when I first looked at a hose, I measured OD and ordered -8 hose and fittings. Which was wrong. -6 hose is about 1/2 inch OD.

I bought a braided hose cutting tool which works excellently making a clean cut on the hose and braids. Putting the fittings to the end of the hose is really actually easy to do, so I don't have any qualms whatsoever of tackling running braid hoses anywhere. I just need to make certain that I have the correct sized hose and fittings that are compatible with the fuel usage needs of my engine, so I don't restrict fuel flow and cause any of the cylinders to lean out under WOT. The PCM won't KNOW that the engine is fuel starved. It will only be able to try to compensate for the RESULTS, which might then be too late.
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #1273
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

The injectors are so sensitive to any particles in the fuel.....hope none got anything in them. Call me anytime your stuck on something or need help.
Unread 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #1274
Rich Z

Yeah, best I can tell, there is NO filter in the fuel line at all. I'm going to try to trace the fuel line end to end as much as I can to see if I can find a filter anywhere.

Thanks for the offer of help. I'm actually getting a LOT of help over on CorvetteForum.
Unread 01-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #1275
Rich Z

I think removing the upper ball joint is the way I am leaning to tackle the half shaft replacements. But I'll have to see if the upper A frame can drop low enough for the knuckle to clear the ball joint stud without the A frame hitting against the shock. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this with removing as few bolts as possible and not being any harder than removing MORE bolts.

The half shafts came in today, and I was surprised to find that the tools I ordered for the suspension surgery to get to the shafts showed up as well. So, I may very well tackle this tomorrow.

As for the fuel line issue, I took a look at the fuse box and it appears that the red wire running back to the Aeromotive pump is plugged into the fuse slot that the original fuel pump fuse should go. The relay mentioned is still there, apparently, as shown in the below pic.

So is this good or bad?

I'm not sure how badly the wiring harness(s) for the fuel system has been hacked up for me to bring it back to stock.
Unread 01-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #1276
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

you don't think he was using the factory fuel pump to feed the Aeromotive fuel pump do you?

since it is a push pump and not a pull pump and isn't mounted below the tank and it isn't plumbed into a sump.....
Unread 01-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #1277
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
you don't think he was using the factory fuel pump to feed the Aeromotive fuel pump do you?

since it is a push pump and not a pull pump and isn't mounted below the tank and it isn't plumbed into a sump.....
Well, I really don't know. After I get the half-shafts done, I'm going to be getting some containers and draining the fuel tank. BTW, will a siphon drain the passenger side tank as well as the driver's side? Reason I ask, is that it seems to me that I smell gasoline at the passenger side tank.

In any event, I'm going to be pulling out the fuel pump to see what I can see. Not that I'm going to really know what the heck I am looking at, however.

Right now I just want to get the fuel system back to stock wiring and using the braided fuel lines as much as possible so I have a base to start from in order to figure out what I need to do. Right now I can't really discuss a replacement strategy with anyone, simply because I really don't know what I have working and not working in the car. I don't know what Harwood did originally, and don't know what Aaron might have done afterwards. I know Aaron told me he was going to rewire the STS system, and the scavenge pump used to work off of the fuel pump circuitry. That now is directly wired to the fuse block too, just like the Aeromotive fuel pump. That's the other red wire in the photo. So there really is no telling what the heck has been changed away from stock after both shops have had their hands in there.
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #1278
ironhorse
Road Warrior

Name :
ironhorse is on a distinguished road

Hi Rich:
If your going to start from scratch with the wiring of the fuel system, get a Helms manuel that has your specific year, l the wiring schematics are there. Helms will have the compleate wiring schematics for the entire car...
ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #1279
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

That is bad Rich.....you don't just push wires into a fuse socket.....unreal.

http://www.c5help.com/c5fuelpumpinst...structions.pdf
http://www.c5help.com/fueltank.htm
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #1280
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
Hi Rich:
If your going to start from scratch with the wiring of the fuel system, get a Helms manuel that has your specific year, l the wiring schematics are there. Helms will have the compleate wiring schematics for the entire car...
I do have the GM service manuals for my car, but honestly whoever it is that made up the index on that set needs to be taken out back and beaten soundly with a two by four. There is NOTHING in there on key words such as "fuel tank", "fuel pump", "fuses", etc., etc... So you pretty much have to scan through all three volumes to find whatever the heck it is you are looking for. So I have yet to find the pages that will give me a clue about where to start looking to figure out how badly the wiring has been butchered from the fuse box to the fuel pump.

I contacted Aeromotive to see if they could give me any clues or offer suggestions, and they recommended that I replace my fuel tanks with 2003 or newer and put the A1000 inside the gas tank. I didn't even want to think about how something like that would go.

Then I've been having correspondence with that guy Lonnie at LonnniesPerformance. At first he was insisting on a phone conversation and I just knew that wouldn't go well, since I couldn't tell him ANYTHING on the phone about what I was dealing with. So I sent him a bunch of photos so he could get an idea of what I have and perhaps help me to figure out how to take the wiring and plumbing back to stock. He pretty much blew me off, saying that when I get it figured out to call him, or else take the car to a competent shop so he could talk to THEM about what I have in the car. Yeah, like finding a competent shop is easy. If I would have done that in the first place, I wouldn't be in the mess I am in right now.

So last night I was in a pretty foul mood over this fuel system crap. Enough so that I woke up with an excruciating headache this morning and not sure I have enough functioning brain cells to tackle the half shafts today. Plus I'm not sure working on the car when I am in this foul mood would be a smart thing to do. If the half shafts give me even more headaches, I will quite likely just pull the car outside, cut the fuel lines and throw a damned match at the car and be done with it. I guess this wouldn't be the first time in history that someone was at the one yard line and decided to punt because the defense looked too strong.

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports