The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 06-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :
Formula Outlaw has disabled reputation
Default Engine mods, all I can say is WOW...

I spend so much time in three Forums (one boat, 2 Vette) that sometimes I get a little lost as to where I am...

Anyway, I have a 65' L76 (327/365) that has almost 59,000 original miles on it at this point. Motor last rebuilt and bored .30 over back in 1989.

I developed a small oil seepage at the head gasket. Since we tore it down to replace that I went ahead (just couldn't help myself) and "rollered" everything. Saving all the old parts of course to put it back as original. Now some might cringe at the thought that I switched some stuff around, one must remember I bought this to DRIVE, not impress some NCRS judge. And while everything still appears stock, IT AIN'T.

All I can say is if it wasn't my own car I NEVER would have believed the difference it made, that motor spools up SO MUCH faster than before....unreal. It now will rev to 6,500 in the time it used to rev to 4,500, that's SERIOUS.....

Anyway, could not be happier.

And the beat goes on....

65' - originally L76 - now full roller motor - est. 128 rear wheel horsepower- 4.11 Posi - original parts mothballed / 1,657 coats of wax, AND the clock works...
Formula Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

Good deal
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Do you have a rev limiter on that guy? I remember when I put 4.10 gears in my GTO years ago. That tach needle just FLEW to redline on me in first gear first time I tried it out......
Unread 06-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Do you have a rev limiter on that guy? I remember when I put 4.10 gears in my GTO years ago. That tach needle just FLEW to redline on me in first gear first time I tried it out......

Yep, sure do, my right foot.....

And you're right, in first by the time you hit the mat it's time to shift....

65' - originally L76 - now full roller motor - est. 128 rear wheel horsepower- 4.11 Posi - original parts mothballed / 1,657 coats of wax, AND the clock works...
Unread 06-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
I bought this to DRIVE, not impress some NCRS judge. And while everything still appears stock, IT AIN'T.
FO, I did the same thing. Even if you are into NCRS, they can't judge the internals! My original matching number big block was rebuilt in 1986, just before I bought it. .30 over, TRW 10.5/1 pistons, Crane cam, blueprint/balanced, heads reworked for unleaded fuel, 3 angle valve job, Sig Erson roller rockers, and not one of these items can be judged.

The car has a 3.08 rear so it is a real easy cruiser, so the previous owner put a low end cam that pulled pretty strong to 5200 RPM and then it ran out of camshaft. As much as I liked the low end performance, I just could not stand the cam running out before the stock redline on the tach. About 8 or 9 years ago, I decided I really needed to detail the engine compartment in areas that I could not reach. So, I pulled the motor and put it on an engine stand and went after the engine bay. While I had the motor out I pulled the Crane cam and put a Comp Cam 270H Magnum with the matching lifters. Then decided to minimize the points and put a MSD 6AL and finally, dropped a new Centerforce clutch/pp when I put it back together.

None of these modifications are visible to an NCRS judge (if I was inclined to let them look) except for the MSD box. I really like the stock appearance on the vintage Vettes, but you just can't get the same performance with the stock internals. Besides, I didn't build it for NCRS, I built it for ME!
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #6
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427
FO, I did the same thing. Even if you are into NCRS, they can't judge the internals! My original matching number big block was rebuilt in 1986, just before I bought it. .30 over, TRW 10.5/1 pistons, Crane cam, blueprint/balanced, heads reworked for unleaded fuel, 3 angle valve job, Sig Erson roller rockers, and not one of these items can be judged.

The car has a 3.08 rear so it is a real easy cruiser, so the previous owner put a low end cam that pulled pretty strong to 5200 RPM and then it ran out of camshaft. As much as I liked the low end performance, I just could not stand the cam running out before the stock redline on the tach. About 8 or 9 years ago, I decided I really needed to detail the engine compartment in areas that I could not reach. So, I pulled the motor and put it on an engine stand and went after the engine bay. While I had the motor out I pulled the Crane cam and put a Comp Cam 270H Magnum with the matching lifters. Then decided to minimize the points and put a MSD 6AL and finally, dropped a new Centerforce clutch/pp when I put it back together.

None of these modifications are visible to an NCRS judge (if I was inclined to let them look) except for the MSD box. I really like the stock appearance on the vintage Vettes, but you just can't get the same performance with the stock internals. Besides, I didn't build it for NCRS, I built it for ME!

Man, I couldn't agree more with you. Something else I had previously done was yank out the points/condensor ignition and put in a Breakerless SE electronic unit which fits inside the stock distributor so it still looks stock. That made a BIG difference on how much it smoothed the idle out and the engine overall. Now with all those rollers just a rollin', it's almost hard to feel it, it's SO smooth. Since I can't help but just throw money away, I upgraded the clutch as well. And went back to the original aluminum/clutch fan set up.

I've done a fair amount of drag racing over the years, and by the seat of the pants feel, I'll bet I cut a second and a half off my quarter mile time. It made THAT much of a difference.

I can go from 3,000 to 6,500 in third faster than I used to be able in first.

I know I was in second the first time I really tromped it and my head was almost back into the rear partition. I was NOT expecting THAT much of a difference.

Money WELL spent....

Unread 06-14-2006, 04:18 AM   #7
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

good job with the roller! its nice to see a car like that, one that is actually being driven and enjoyed.
Unread 06-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedFun
good job with the roller! its nice to see a car like that, one that is actually being driven and enjoyed.

Thanks. This engine now feels like an electric motor it is so fast to spool up and sooooo smooth.

It runs away from traffic without even thinking about getting close to opening up the four barrel.

It's so smooth my Muncie shifter has all but stopped making noise...

Keith, the service manager at Corvettes West says it's the quickest, smoothest 327 Vette he's ever driven....

I just LOVE it....