The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 06-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road
Default Any shooters here?

Hoping this is the right place at least to talk about shooting, whether is target or sport.

I myself have a couple firearms but one in particular is lacking something. I have a custom RRA AR-15 thats in search of a compact scope(my rifle is shorty model). I mainly use it at the range but also plan to take it hunting next time i go out with my father. I'm not looking into spending what i did for the gun, just somewhere around the max of 450, less would be nicer since the ammo isn't cheap either lol. Any recommendations?
Unread 06-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah man... At least I used to. Haven't had time for a few years now. BTW, you may want to check out my gun site at http://www.ArmsLocker.com.

As for a scope, there are a lot of variables involved in a choice. Sometimes hunting and target shooting might be at odds with other on making a choice for optics. Depends on what you are hunting, mostly. Small fast moving game might be better served with an Aimpoint style scope, whereas hunting big horns shooting from one mountainside to another is a whole different ball of wax.

Except for squirrels (and only because they tear the hell out of my timber bamboo every year) I'm not really much into huntng. I prefer punching holes in paper or shooting targets that are a bit more reactive.....

Oh, one other thing, I'm not sure about Florida, but many states won't allow hunting deer with a 22 caiber rifle, which the .223 is considered to be by many definitions. So bear that in mind....
Unread 06-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Ah ill give that site a look as well.

My dad mainly uses his .223 M14 all throughout the state, along with places in georgia and alabama. plus a 22 caliber rifle is a rim fire projectile where as the .223 is a center fire. Which im sure you already know, just the 22 and .223 part came off confusing.

Its mainly deer, hogs ill be going for. Ive taken my .22 to a 100yd range with just iron sights and pretty much kept them center massed. It just gets strenuous on the eyes after so many rounds lol.

But ill look on the armslocker for any info then.
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Rich Z

It depends on how the law is written. If they state that you cannot hunt with anything that is less than .24 caliber (generally .243 or 6mm is about the smallest universally allowed for mid sized game) then that also includes .223 unless the law specifically states that it only applies to a rimfire cartridge. Not all of the laws in every state may make the distinction, so it would be best to actually check wherever you intend to hunt.
Unread 06-16-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Massachusetts goes even farther than that, not allowing ANY rifles at all! We're limited to shotguns with deer slugs..........poor choice in my opinion, but I guess that my opinion doesn't really count anymore as I gave up hunting after returning from Vietnam. Still have a 30-06 (Model 1917 Winchester), a 12 gauge, a .38 Colt, and a Ruger .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk.
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Maalox

Name :
Maalox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
Hoping this is the right place at least to talk about shooting, whether is target or sport.

I myself have a couple firearms but one in particular is lacking something. I have a custom RRA AR-15 thats in search of a compact scope(my rifle is shorty model). I mainly use it at the range but also plan to take it hunting next time i go out with my father. I'm not looking into spending what i did for the gun, just somewhere around the max of 450, less would be nicer since the ammo isn't cheap either lol. Any recommendations?
I have an EOTech 511 on my AR carbine (Spikes Tactical) that combo may work for you.

I also have an A2 20 inch RRA which I want to add a long range tactical scope to. Well maybe not long range say 300 yd or so. I would get a Leupold VXIII except for the gold ring. Still looking for this scope.

Previous Vettes:
2006 LMB Coupe - 3LT, MN6, Z51, U3U, R8C 12-16, G5X3 Cam, LG Pro LT Headers, Corsa Sport, UD pulley, Haltech Stinger, Chrome Wheels, Powder Coated Calipers
2005 Vert Triple Black - MN6, Z51, CM7, QG7, Corsa Sport
2001 Z06 BLK/BLK - BPP Vortex, Corsa Indy, Hurst Shifter, Chrome Z06 Wheels, Power Antenna
1998 Coupe Black/Gray - Corsa Indy, Chrome Wheels, Intake, Hypertech
Maalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

How well does that eotech work for you at 100-150yds? Ive looked into getting the 552 model. When the gun show comes back next month im gonna look to see if anyone is running any deals, and get my hands on a sound suppressor for my AR as well.
Unread 06-17-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
How well does that eotech work for you at 100-150yds? Ive looked into getting the 552 model. When the gun show comes back next month im gonna look to see if anyone is running any deals, and get my hands on a sound suppressor for my AR as well.
Dont say "sound suppressor" I think thats illegal, say "flash suppressor"

Armslocker is a nice site to peruse. Lot's of good info over there.

Count me in if there is a Corvette cruise to the next Gunshow in the Tampabay area.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:05 AM   #9
Rich Z

There is normally a real good gun show in Orlando at the fairgrounds in mid July. Been to that one several times and usually had a new gun follow me home. The shows at the Tampa fairgrounds haven't been as good the last few times Connie and I went to them. The county passed a law where private sales were no longer allowed without the purchasing party undergoing a background check. So I think a lot of people just stopped going there, since it made it difficult for them to sell their surplus guns on the hoof. Been a while since we've been there, so maybe it has changed recently...

Another good show is in Lakeland. In mid January they have a HUGE show that takes up both rooms.

They have a real small show up here in Tallahassee, but I have sometimes found some nice stuff. Matter of fact, we were supposed to go to the last show up here a while back and that morning is when I wound up in the hospital ER. I'm guessing their should be another coming along sometime soon, though.
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
Dont say "sound suppressor" I think thats illegal, say "flash suppressor"

Armslocker is a nice site to peruse. Lot's of good info over there.

Count me in if there is a Corvette cruise to the next Gunshow in the Tampabay area.

Joe B.

Sound suppressors or silencers are completely "legal" in florida, along with 25 other states. Otherwise there wouldnt have been 4 different vendors at the last gun show. One of the vendors runs a outdoor range and its a requirement to have to shoot on their range. All it takes is purchase of a silencer, pay the atf a 200 tax, wait 1-6 months and then go pickup your silencer an enjoy.

The next gun show i think is at the manatee civic center on jul20-22, cant remember saw it on a billboard in that area coming/going to class.