The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 11-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #21
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Thanks

A big part of the problem, is that the majority of the "large" sites, will not allow you to mention another site. They're commercial and we're not.

The Internet Brands sites, Corvette Forum@, Ford Truck Enthusiasts (aka: FTE@)and a host of others owned by them, will censor any attempt to post a link to another site they consider a competitor.
I believe DC (digital corvettes) does the same thing.

On the same line, we allow links to other sites all the time, even those that have banned members for the same thing.

And if you get caught mentioning the site to someone else via pm/email at one of those places, you'll find yourself on vacation quick, fast and in a hurry
There are a ton of people on each of those sites, that don't even know we exists
And unless they have a need to do a google search, will probably continue to live in thier internet shell, oblivious to the good folks around them.

I've always said, the net is big enough for all of us. It may not be big enough for all of us to make $$$ at it, but we can all co-exist.

Rich, I'll say this publically.

If you decide to dump the site, let me know.
I'll find a way to keep it running for those that want it around.

Maybe a few of us can co-op it and keep it going
Interesting thought to consider if Rich is warm to this idea.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #22
Tampa Tuning
Tampa Tuner

Name : Phil
Tampa Tuning is on a distinguished road
Default Camaro, Corvette, Street tune or Dyno tuning

www.TampaTuning.com

Yes it's taboo to provide a link and to mention another forum, But there are a ton of clubs in Florida that post on Corvette Forum and dont know this forum is just as informative.

Im going to add this site to the bottom of a flyer I pass at at car shows.

www.TAMPATUNING.com
813-727-8720

Corvette Camaro GTO CTS-v Dyno Charger and Challenger DYNO Tuning in Tampa, Brandon, St. Petersburg, Bradenton
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #23
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Rich, I'll say this publically.

If you decide to dump the site, let me know.
I'll find a way to keep it running for those that want it around.

Maybe a few of us can co-op it and keep it going
It won't be me dumping the site, it would be the membership abandoning it. I'm just hoping that this won't happen and am alerting the membership (at least those reading this) that this can happen if they allow it to. Everyone apparently expects or hopes that someone else will post things of interest, yet not realizing that the effort needs to be made by everyone to keep this site of interest to the readership. If there is nothing new to read here, then there is no reason for people to come back to it.

I'm not really a defeatist, as I don't give up easily, but there is such a thing as beating a dead horse, that I try not to engage in too often.
Unread 11-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #24
Tampa Tuning
Tampa Tuner

Default Gen5, Camaro, C5, C6 Tuning in Tampa

www.TampaTuning.com

Dont you log Emails of guys signing up for the forum? Cant you send out something reminding them?

The couple times my computer crapped out, I lost all my favorates, and couldn't remember half them.

www.TAMPATUNING.com
813-727-8720

Corvette Camaro GTO CTS-v Dyno Charger and Challenger DYNO Tuning in Tampa, Brandon, St. Petersburg, Bradenton
Unread 11-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
www.TampaTuning.com

Dont you log Emails of guys signing up for the forum? Cant you send out something reminding them?

The couple times my computer crapped out, I lost all my favorates, and couldn't remember half them.
There is a danger to doing that which is not obvious. One of the ways that major ISPs will try to identify spam sources is by the number of bouncebacks that any ISP will get from emails issued to them. That is because the spam sources generally use email lists where many of the addresses are bogus or obsolete. Now, unfortunately, in the case of message boards like this, very often members will create an email address solely to register on the site, and will simply abandon it afterwards. So if I were to send out a broadcast email to ALL registered members, probably half or more of them would just bounce back to me to not only flood my inbox with those bounced emails, but also quite probably then put this site and/or the IP address on the black list of spam sources. ESPECIALLY when a large number of bounces all happen from a single mailing. The assumption will be that either this site IS a spam source, or got compromised at the server level by a hacker who turned the server into a spam generator.

No, things are rarely as easy as they seem at first glance.
Unread 11-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #26
Tampa Tuning
Tampa Tuner

Default Gen5, Camaro, C5, C6 Tuner in Tampa

Well if its good with you, Im adding a line at the base my car show flier to "visit our C5 and C6 friends at www.corvetteflorida.com" and Ill have my brother in law added it to my website the next time he changes something for me

www.TampaTuning.com
Contact our tuning team at Email address: Tuning@TampaTuning.com

Specializing in high performance custom computer enhancements of GM
LS 1-9 powered muscle cars. Guaranteed performance gains when Tampa Tuning enhancements are designed and installed to your vehicle’s PCM.
Unleashing Horsepower and Torque in the listed vehicles with HP Tuners:

1997-2011 Chevrolet Corvette C5, C6 including ZR1, Grand Sport, Z06s
1998-2011 Chevrolet Camaros, Z28, SS
1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird, WS6, Trans Am
2003-2004 Chevrolet SSR 5.3
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
2004-2005 Cadillac CTS
Many other generation 3 and 4 LSx Cars and Trucks available upon request

Street performance tuning price of $225.00 will include:

- Optimizing Air/Fuel Ratio with LM-1 Wideband O2 sensor
- Timing adjusted for additional Horsepower and Torque gain
- Desired rev limiter adjustment
- Desired idle adjustment
- Transmission torque management system reduced (Transmission Performance)
- Transmission shift points enhanced (Transmission Performance)
- Transmission shift time reduced (Transmission Performance)
- Transmission shift pressure enhanced (Transmission Performance)
- Skip shift delete/ CAGs (Transmission Performance)
- Fuel injector rescaling
- Cooling fan activation temperature recalculated
- Rear gear ratio and tire size change for Speedometer calibration
- Turn off check engine light
- Rear O2 sensors deleted
Transmission Performance tune for $125.00
Torque Management & CAGS removal for $50.00

Contact our tuning team at Email address: Tuning@TampaTuning.com

Visit our C5 and C6 friends on www.CorvetteFlorida.com

www.TAMPATUNING.com
813-727-8720

Unread 11-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #27
Rich Z

Yeah, the more people we get inviting others to the site, the better. We have a pretty good group of current members now, but apparently we need a reason for them to visit more often and PARTICIPATE.

What is needed to make THAT happen?
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #28
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Maybe it's just cyclical. I've noticed that postings are down on CAC as well. I've got no
ideas on what to do to get the postings up, but this is the Corvette forum of choice
for me. I hit this site usually 4 or more times a day, reading a bunch, and posting
occasionally. I figure that there are a boatload of people here that know more than I
do, and that any info I may have is minor compared to their's. Maybe I'll just hafta
start posting more often and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #29
Rich Z

That's really what is going to have to take place from many other people as well to keep things going. If there are no new posts, then gradually less and less people will be stopping by here each day until the site fizzles out to nothing. I've seen it happen. Heck, it's happened to some sites I used to run. So I definitely recognize the danger signs that I am seeing here.
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #30
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
It won't be me dumping the site, it would be the membership abandoning it. I'm just hoping that this won't happen and am alerting the membership (at least those reading this) that this can happen if they allow it to. Everyone apparently expects or hopes that someone else will post things of interest, yet not realizing that the effort needs to be made by everyone to keep this site of interest to the readership. If there is nothing new to read here, then there is no reason for people to come back to it.

I'm not really a defeatist, as I don't give up easily, but there is such a thing as beating a dead horse, that I try not to engage in too often.
I understood what you meant bro; however, from past readings, I understand that a lack of participation, might cause you to have to shut it down.

I know you're retired and don't need the added expense of running a site that doesn't generate the traffic.

So with that in mind, should that time come, please let me know. As Thor and I have indicated, we'll find a way to keep the doors open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
www.TampaTuning.com
...The couple times my computer crapped out, I lost all my favorates, and couldn't remember half them.
I've had similar problems in the past.
Lost a computer, or a reboot caused everything to go away. Forgot about some sites that I only frequented once in a while but still, enjoyed them. Lost passwords and sometimes as Rich mentioned, even forgot which email I used to set them up because I'd use one specific to that site or something.
In some cases, I just never went back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
That's really what is going to have to take place from many other people as well to keep things going. If there are no new posts, then gradually less and less people will be stopping by here each day until the site fizzles out to nothing. I've seen it happen. Heck, it's happened to some sites I used to run. So I definitely recognize the danger signs that I am seeing here.
I can't tell you how many of the flyers I had made and handed out at car shows. Hell, I kept them in the car with me and handed them to random vette owners I'd meet during the week
Few ever logged in
I'm not sure what it's going to take to get the word out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
Maybe it's just cyclical. I've noticed that postings are down on CAC as well. I've got no
ideas on what to do to get the postings up, but this is the Corvette forum of choice
for me. I hit this site usually 4 or more times a day, reading a bunch, and posting
occasionally. I figure that there are a boatload of people here that know more than I
do, and that any info I may have is minor compared to their's. Maybe I'll just hafta
start posting more often and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Andy
Yeah Andy, you may have a point.
I've seen the postings go from NADA to a page or 2 in a day.
Weather, time of year, etc., all play a part.

There may be some other factors at work that are effecting the traffic here as well.

We all need to post a little more, even if it's just a little jabber in the BS section.
Not owning a vette at the moment, puts me at a slight disadvanage
I don't make the shows, cruises, etc. like I used to and as such, not as much to talk about.

I try to post when I've got something I think might be interesting, enlightening or useful to the members.
I'll also post in threads like this and some others when I think it's useful.

Work has been so-so lately. Too busy to stop and have some fun, and not busy enough to meet my goals and get the "vette fund" up and running!

Maybe this coming year will bear some changes. Maybe I'll hit the freaking lottery?
Who knows? Maybe I'll grow a damned pony tail too

In any respect, I still count the people here, among my closest friends, and I'll do what I have to do to keep the doors open, even for just a few.

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote