The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 03-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
how would you confine bamboo and how long would it take to fill in about a 207ft fence row? I have a nosy neighbor and need to block her out of my life....

will it grow in semi shaded areas or does it need full sunlight to grow? been thinking about elaeagnus but it take a bunch of time and effort to make it look good and grow how I want it to grow.... Bamboo seems to be like Kudzoo...
Well, like anything else, it depends. Bamboo is a very hungry and thirsty plant, but where I've planted the rubro, it is comparatively dry and it still does pretty well. This variety is one of the more aggressive forms and it will run pretty quickly. Give it enough moisture without being actually wet and it should grow like wildfire.

As for how to confine it, I've never done so myself, but I've heard that anything that is strong enough to keep the rhizomes contained down to about 3 ft. should work. If you really don't like your neighbor, just confine it on your side of the fence line.

The places where I've put in the rubro gets a lot of shade and it does just fine. As far as how long it will take to grow 200 ft., beats me. Dig a trench and fill it with a lot of compost and keep it moist to entice the rhizomes to follow the trench and I don't think it would take more than a few years to have a filled in fence line. When we bought out property we had three different driveways coming into this side of the property from the road. We wanted to close off the center driveway completely, and used the rubro bamboo for that. Been a number of years, and today you wouldn't even know there was ever a driveway there. And that area was heavily shaded by a big oak tree and other smaller trees.

One of the sayings I've heard about bamboo that is fairly accurate when transplanted is: First year it sleeps. Second year it creeps. Third year it LEAPS!

If you want some, you are welcome to it. But you probably need to do it soon. The best month is actually February for relocating the rhizomes, but I think it will still do fine now. You would just have to make certain that the rhizomes do NOT dry out before putting them back into the ground. Actually with this entire week supposed to be rainy, this would actually be a great time to move some of it. If you want to see it by coming down here, and decide it's not for you, then no sweat.
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Dig a trench and fill it with a lot of compost and keep it moist to entice the rhizomes to follow the trench and I don't think it would take more than a few years to have a filled in fence line.
well she was old as dirt when I was in the 5th grade, and that was 20 years ago, I don't think I have that much time to wait....
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #13
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I used the camcorder and did a walk around through the bamboo groves the other day. The camcorder had a wide angled lens on it, so it doesn't show the actual size of the bamboo culms very well. But still, gives a better perspective than the still photos are able to do.