The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 02-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation
Default License to Speed?

http://www.licensetospeed.org/

Thoughts?
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

NOPE! What happens when some poor schmuck like me, who will never take the test let alone pass it, puts on his left signal and IMMEDIATELY pulls left into the high speed lane on RT 75 in front of a high speeder doing a buck thirty. As brother Dave Gardner ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1kZ7SQ2MV4 )back in the day would say......"BLAM......hair, teeth, and eyeballs all over the concrete". Gettin' hit by someone who is traveling about the same speed as you are is one thing. Getting hit by someone traveling over twice your speed is something else. I'll bet that ALL of the LEOS on the forum will vote against that one as well. Bottom line in my opinion.........BAD IDEA!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Couple of issues jump out right off the bat:

Psychological testing:

Emotional Maturity Candidates must pass a psychiatric exam. Thrill seekers, risk takers, aggressive drivers, and others who would pose a danger to the public due to their inability to control their speed will be weeded out.

Are they planning on using the MMPI or similar testing source? Ever taken that goat f**k of a test? I have.
Several hours long! What a serious PITA!

Still somewhat subjective

Qualified Vehicle:
Qualified Vehicle The license to speed will only be valid in vehicles owned by the candidate and certified to be capable of handling high speeds safely. Requirements will likely include power brakes, ABS (anti brake-lock system), traction control, but the age and construction of the chassis will also be a factor. Basically, you need a sportscar or performance sedan built and designed for high speeds, not a '67 Chevy.

This requirement seems to counter the whole "advanced driving skills" arguement. ABS and TRACTION CONTROL, are bandaids for a lack of driving skill. Don't get me wrong, they're great tools to have in a passenger car, but how many "race cars" or "high performance applications" have you seen with the functions active (except for ABS which I belive we can't over ride mechanically or electronically IIRC?) The TRACTION CONTROL is to be switched off in "competition" mode or driving events, right?
And using a "frame date" or "construction date" will bite them in the a$$
"New construction" a la Chip Foose, and many others, including "home builts", using modern technology combined with old school styling, will create a real mess for the Kalifornia governing board when trying to "qualify" a "pro street" style for example

I do think the idea in general has some merit

1) Require in depth additional (professional) training for those that wish to attain the license.
2) Require a "safety" inspection, similar to a "tech inspection" on cars to be used (regardless or make, model or age)
3) Have a minimum age requirement (that's gonna piss a few off). Statistically, it's still the very young and very old that have more crashes. The very young are involved in more "speed related" events than the elderly (I have to use that word very carefully these days).
The elderly are involved in more operator error crashes.
4) Restrict where the "advanced speed" license can be used.
Local streets and neighborhoods would be restricted, as would the more congested portions of the interstate highways (ie: cities and towns).

Finally, we still have to remember that although one of us may have the license, ability and vehicle, to drive faster and commit to more critical maneuvers, the idiot next to, in front of or behind us....may not!

And that's the biggest issue right there....

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
..As brother Dave Gardner ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1kZ7SQ2MV4 )back in the day would say......"BLAM......hair, teeth, and eyeballs all over the concrete".
Never hear that one!

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

No thanks...keep it the way it is...
Unread 02-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Finally, we still have to remember that although one of us may have the license, ability and vehicle, to drive faster and commit to more critical maneuvers, the idiot next to, in front or behind us....may not!

And that's the biggest issue right there....
I like the idea of the special license. Your point about the other driver is part of the skill set. I always anticipate what the other guy might do and I always know where I'm going if he does. Usually the shoulder on the interstate.

I cannot usually drive the speed limit for safety reasons. Yep, you read it right. Anytime I try to reduce my speed some bozo will pass and two things happen. He cuts right in and takes away my safe distance in front of me forcing me to slow down or tailgate. Half of them will also slow down after they pass you.

As an officer you are well aware that people seem to have forgotten all of the basic rules of the road. Maintain a safe distance, left lane is for passing, move into the left lane when someone is on the shoulder. I could go on and on.

I want to be the leader of the pack for the reasons stated. I do not want to be in a group of cars with a bunch of idiots that don't have a clue how to drive. Is my speed excessive? Only to the guy with radar. Am I a danger to others? Not in the least.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
navy2kcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Never hear that one!
That's because you're not as OLD as I am. He was a staple while I was growing up, along with Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts (when someone could find one of their records). Doug Clark didn't get much airplay because of the "risque" lyrics, but WE LOVED THEM ANYWAY!
Stay warm Gordon, and get rid of that damned cold weather for us! Dotty and I will be back down for "Vettes In Venice" in March, and we don't want no steenkin' cold weather!
Andy
Unread 02-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
navy2kcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post

I cannot usually drive the speed limit for safety reasons. Yep, you read it right. Anytime I try to reduce my speed some bozo will pass and two things happen. He cuts right in and takes away my safe distance in front of me forcing me to slow down or tailgate. Half of them will also slow down after they pass you.
So if you can't drive AT THE SPEED LIMIT for safety reasons, what makes you think that driving twice the limit (or "fill in the blank" MPH over the speed limit) will be better? You'll never be the leader of the pack, because there will ALWAYS be someone else in front of you somewhere, and they will be going slower than you. And what happens should an accident take place in front of you. Your decisions on where to go just evaporated. I appreciate your belief in being able to control your car at speed, and I believe that I can do that with my car as well, but I also believe that I have no control over what others do on the roadway, and, frankly, THAT scares the $h!t out of me. I WOULD agree to that type of license provided that it only applied to certain highways, and that there was a minimum speed limit enforced on the road. That way, I would know what kind of road it was, what type of drivers were on it, and could avoid it if I didn't feel like keeping up. I still think it's a bad idea, but I really like the discussion!
Andy
Unread 02-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
So if you can't drive AT THE SPEED LIMIT for safety reasons, what makes you think that driving twice the limit (or "fill in the blank" MPH over the speed limit) will be better? You'll never be the leader of the pack, because there will ALWAYS be someone else in front of you somewhere, and they will be going slower than you. And what happens should an accident take place in front of you. Your decisions on where to go just evaporated. I appreciate your belief in being able to control your car at speed, and I believe that I can do that with my car as well, but I also believe that I have no control over what others do on the roadway, and, frankly, THAT scares the $h!t out of me. I WOULD agree to that type of license provided that it only applied to certain highways, and that there was a minimum speed limit enforced on the road. That way, I would know what kind of road it was, what type of drivers were on it, and could avoid it if I didn't feel like keeping up. I still think it's a bad idea, but I really like the discussion!
Andy
Hi Andy. When I say leader of the pack I mean just that. I always want a vehicle down the road in front of me but drivers tend pack up and eventually there WILL be a problem that I want nothing to do with. I want to be in front of those packs.

I cannot anticipate what the guy in front of me will do but I can be prepared. I always have an exit strategy. I also hold my left foot ABOVE the brake pedal when I feel the situation warrants it. That cuts way down on my reaction time.

There are many different driving techniques that you can incorporate to make yourself safer on the road in spite of the bone heads. I'm also not talking about reckless driving. I'm saying a fast driver can be a safer driver. I'm also only talking about interstates and county roads. I'm also talking about respect for the other driver. I could ramble on for hours.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

I haven't read the article yet, but even most emergency vehicles aren't suppose to travel more than 20mph faster than the posted speed limit for safety issues. Anything faster and there is no way you can avoid an accident from someone not paying attention...and they have lights and sirens. With that said, I'm cool with an advanced drivers license, but to do it should be expensive, take over a year with multiple tests to initially get it, should be very limited and you would have to renew it every year. If you are involved in an accident, the license would automatically be revoked and you would have to reapply whether your fault or not. I know this would never ever pass.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote