The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 03-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #21
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default And the results are

Just finished up (no test drive yet) wheel bearings are good, RR disc came off easily and no obvious dragging there. no discoloration, no cracking, no broken parts. Cleaned, buffed and reinstalled all parts. Reduced adjustment on RR shoe 'cause I don't care it they don't make contact just don't want them to make contact.

LR similar but had to tap off the rotor with a mallet, no biggie, Did the same, clean, buffed re-assembled and backed off the adjustment on the shoe.

I too was glad to find the bearings solid and tight.

I jumped in because of your guidance. Thank you and I do so hope this puts to bed the brake issue.

Ken
Unread 03-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #22
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Fingers...

crossed for ya Kap .
Unread 03-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #23
Kap142

Name :
Default Damn

Unread 03-11-2007, 06:16 AM   #24
Kap142

Name :
Default Not resolvd but.....

I think I have it understood.

About 2 months ago I purchased and installed a PB system from Corvette Central. It's the system (so they say) that you'd have got if you ordered PB from the factory

My guess at this point is that for unknown reasons the new system is keeping the whole brake system under pressure so that the brakes are piratically applied all the time.

Anybody lived through this situation before?

Nitro and guys what so you think?

Ken
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #25
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
Default Kap...

I sat and read your posts as well as nytro's yesterday. I sat here thinking for awhile and was wondering how all 4 were warm if it were a ebrake problem.?
Not to mention, the focus was mostly on the rear end and it's components.
At the risk of sounding like a , I didn't reply with my questions or theory.

Which would have been directed towards a faulty master cylinder or something in that area like the PB. I'm no mechanic (shade tree at best), but it stands to reason, that if all 4 were warm/hot then there's pressure in the system making the brakes drag.IMO.
Anyway...I'm thinking you may have discovered the problem .
Like I said, i'm no mechanic, so hopefully nytro will chime in again with his expertise.
~Ray
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #26
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
Default Just re read...

Post #17.
I assumed you were referring to all 4 brakes being "farking warm" when you referred to all 4 corners.

~Ray
Unread 03-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #27
Kap142

Name :
Default Yep I was

A thought too is prior to the problem I paid little attention to whether the hubs on each wheel were warm to hot to the touch normally. Disc's do heat up.

And I, like you, are at very best a shade tree parts changer certainly not a mechanic.

Nytro do your books tell whether the proportioning valve on a PB car is different then on a non PB car?

Gotta get it fixed before Ecklers

Ken

Last edited by Kap142; 03-11-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Kap142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #28
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

I looked at the brake kit on Corvette Centrals website part number 193121 and it looks pretty cut and dried to me. Make sure that is the kit number you got.

The rotors and hubs and calipers will get hot even after a short driving distance as the pads are always in contact with the rotors. Because of the friction they will be hot to the touch. Hot enough to burn your finger for sure. If there is a problem with a front caliper the car would pull to that side when you step on the brake. If a rear caliper were dragging you would see it on the pad surface. In reading your posts it appears that your problems started when you adjusted your brake cables, so I would think that the problem is somewhere in that area. I don't think it is your calipers. It might be a defective master cylinder but I personally think it has something to do with the emergency brakes. Now the only way to find out what is wrong is a process of elimination.

Heres what I would do. I would get the complete parking brake kit, either part number 192088 for stainless or 192164 for steel from Corvette Central if you like. The reason I would do this is you get all the stuff you need to overhaul the parking brake system, the springs, shoes, adjusters, cables everything. This would accomplish two things, one you probably will never have to worry about your parking brake system again, and two you eliminate these parts from the mix as being the cause rather than replacing one at a time.. The only componant left would be the rotors. I would look closely at your parking brake flanges (corvette central part number 582032) and make sure none of the holes are elongated or messed up. Those would be tough to replace as the spindal would have to be removed so I would inspect them very carefully and compare them to the pictires. By doing this you will have completely restored your emergancy brakes to new and eliminated them from the list of posibilities as the problem. Now when you install the brake shoes you want to apply a little white lithium brake grease to where the side of the shoe rides on the brake plate. Also you want to apply a small amount to the adjuster threads and the other end where it rotates on the stud to ensure they spin freely. USE THE GREASE SPARINGLY, and be sure you don't get it on the brake shoe surface. (an old trick) As I said these emergency brake systems are poor at best and can be a real problem. They use the same system on the C5's and they are a constant problem also. Once completed I would never use the emergency brake again.

A couple of questions about the P/B install. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you installed it ? You say you replaced a caliper. Did it have one bleeder screw or two. After installation did you bleed all four calipers starting with the furthest away from the master cyl, r/r, then l/r, then r/f, then l/f ?

From everything you posted I would say there is something wrong with the emergency system for sure. Corvette Central has a Tech line for help. Call them, explain the problem, what you did and so forth and see what they say.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #29
Kap142

Name :
Default Lets give it a go...

I'll place an order with Corvette Central today as you suggest. I'll get the complete rebuild system. I agree it'll at least eliminate that area and hopefully your right on the money.

In reference to the PB install, I had on of our fleet mechanics work with me on that project. Did bench bleed the master cylinder, new caliper (LF) had the single bleeder. Yes on the bleeding we followed the sequence you stated and repeatedly bleed even leaving a few minutes to allow air to accumulate before doing a double check to make sure air was out and fluid was clean and clear.

Just placed the order with Corvette Central. I guess we shall see
Unread 03-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #30
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
Default Forgive me for picking your brain...

I agree there is/was a problem with the e brake, but how does that affect the front brakes from dragging and or getting "Farking warm"
My intensions are to learn from this, that is why I ask .

Respect,
~Ray