The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 07-18-2007, 05:48 AM   #11
sandman

Name :
sandman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie
I'd try cleaning the Key and Contacts in the switch first,before I bought one!!!! Most of the time that will fix them!!! But if they get to doing it allot,you may have to go to another plan!!
Yeah it could be moisture in the dist. cap but I doubt it!!! A cap just wont dry out by it's self in 20 min.!!! But the vats system will reset itself in 10-15!!!
If you don't have any contact cleaner,use rubbing alcohol to clean the pellet and a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts in the ignition tumblers!!! You can see them there right at the top just inside where you put your key in!!!! PS.Don't get in there to deep and loose part of your cotton swab or you will have to dig it out with a pick!!! Bet that fixes it!!!
I didn't get a chance to mess with it last night. I got off work yesterday and got a ride home. Soon as I got there it fired right up. I will clean the contacts and the key today. I was reading this manual late last night. I really feel it could be a vats problem though. The reason I say this is because it is working spuratically now that both my door switches are goofing up. I need to replace them. Does anyone know where to get new ones? I would like to disconnect the factory alarm and put in an aftermarket. But I will start with the key and tumbler today. P.S. It fired right up this morning!!!
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #12
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
I didn't get a chance to mess with it last night. I got off work yesterday and got a ride home. Soon as I got there it fired right up. I will clean the contacts and the key today. I was reading this manual late last night. I really feel it could be a vats problem though. The reason I say this is because it is working spuratically now that both my door switches are goofing up. I need to replace them. Does anyone know where to get new ones? I would like to disconnect the factory alarm and put in an aftermarket. But I will start with the key and tumbler today. P.S. It fired right up this morning!!!
Yep, Chevrolet there $23.65 each and you have to take the door panels off to replace them!!! The wiring plug won't come through the door and the metal plate on the back side that the screws thread into will fall to the bottom of the door!!!!But I'd try to adjust them First!!!!! There purdy easy to adjust,but you can break them purdy easy too!!!! Best thing,Call me on my Toll free # and I'll walk you through it!!!!! 1-877-677-2984 ext 1 or 2 ask for Junk or Jesse if my wife answers!!! You can be sure to catch me Early in the morning 6-8 or at night 5-10 other wise I may be at a Sale or showing a Car!!! www.gmjunkie.com

PS. Man there is not a thing wrong with the VATS system!!! Other than most Technicians don't understand how they work and when a car starts acting up they start Throwing a Bunch of EXPENSIVE parts at it and don't fix the problem!!!! Even myself experienced with VATS couldn't steel your car very quickly without a rollback or wheel lift truck unless I was extremely lucky and hit the code the very first time!!!!And even then it would take me at least 45 min.to a hour after I got in the car!!!

Last edited by gmjunkie; 07-18-2007 at 09:20 AM.
gmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #13
sandman

Name :

Quote:
Yep, Chevrolet there $23.65 each and you have to take the door panels off to replace them!!! The wiring plug won't come through the door and the metal plate on the back side that the screws thread into will fall to the bottom of the door!!!!But I'd try to adjust them First!!!!! There purdy easy to adjust,but you can break them purdy easy too!!!! Best thing,Call me on my Toll free # and I'll walk you through it!!!!! 1-877-677-2984 ext 1 or 2 ask for Junk or Jesse if my wife answers!!! You can be sure to catch me Early in the morning 6-8 or at night 5-10 other wise I may be at a Sale or showing a Car!!! www.gmjunkie.com

PS. Man there is not a thing wrong with the VATS system!!! Other than most Technicians don't understand how they work and when a car starts acting up they start Throwing a Bunch of EXPENSIVE parts at it and don't fix the problem!!!! Even myself experienced with VATS couldn't steel your car very quickly without a rollback or wheel lift truck unless I was extremely lucky and hit the code the very first time!!!!
Thanks Junky I appreciate it. My unlock buttons , the driver side will unlock but when you go to push it back to unlock it is flimsy and won't unlock it. Tha passeger unlock button is stickin too now. Are you saying they can be adjusted?
Unread 07-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #14
gmjunkie

Quote:
Thanks Junky I appreciate it. My unlock buttons , the driver side will unlock but when you go to push it back to unlock it is flimsy and won't unlock it. Tha passeger unlock button is stickin too now. Are you saying they can be adjusted?
No, if your talking about the electric switches up by the handles!!!! I was thinking about the ones at the back of the door!!! But those power lock switches can be found at a Auto parts store in the help section sometimes!!!But you would need to have one with you to make sure it would work!!!I get them around here at AutoZone and Advance auto parts for about $14.00!! I'm not sure what they cost at GM,seems like the last one I bought was around $28.00!! You can clean them with CRC/QD Electronic Cleaner and they will work fine!! But it sounds to me like they have been dirty for a while and you keep pushing harder and harder and have broken one of the mounting ears off!! PS Armor All, and other things of this nature will get down in these switches and then collect dust and then they wont make a good contact!!! Same with the vats contacts in the column!!! I seen clean up boy at dealerships just SOAK everything and then wipe it down!!! Cruse Levers, Window switches, Radio and A/C controls and then when it go's out in the sun this stuff just crawls inside them like oil would on hot pavement!!! USE it Sparingly!!It's best to put it on a applicator or rag and put it on!!!
Unread 07-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
sandman

Name :

Quote:
No, if your talking about the electric switches up by the handles!!!! I was thinking about the ones at the back of the door!!! But those power lock switches can be found at a Auto parts store in the help section sometimes!!!But you would need to have one with you to make sure it would work!!!I get them around here at AutoZone and Advance auto parts for about $14.00!! I'm not sure what they cost at GM,seems like the last one I bought was around $28.00!! You can clean them with CRC/QD Electronic Cleaner and they will work fine!! But it sounds to me like they have been dirty for a while and you keep pushing harder and harder and have broken one of the mounting ears off!! PS Armor All, and other things of this nature will get down in these switches ans then collect dust and then they wont make a good contact!!! Same with the vats contacts in the column!!! I seen clean up boy at dealerships just SOAK everything and then wipe it down!!! Cruse Levers, Window switches, Radio and A/C controls and then when it go out in the sun this stuff just crawls inside them like oil would on hot pavement!!! USE it Sparingly!!It's best to put it on a applicator or rag and put it on!!!
Thanks Junkie,
I would have never guessed that auto zone or advanced would have these. Do they just pop out or do I need to remove the door panels to get those little buggers off?
Unread 07-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #16
gmjunkie

Quote:
Thanks Junkie,
I would have never guessed that auto zone or advanced would have these. Do they just pop out or do I need to remove the door panels to get those little buggers off?
91 I've slept since the last 91 I had in here!!! Do your door panels look like this??

Last edited by gmjunkie; 05-13-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Unread 07-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
sandman

Name :

yes
Unread 07-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #18
gmjunkie

Quote:
yes
OK!!!! Well Give me a Min. I'll fix you right up!!
Unread 07-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #19
gmjunkie

1. Pop the lock knob off !!
2. Pop the light out from the top!! (watch the frigging Bulb "It's HOT")
3. Remove 3 screws!!!
4. Remove the bezel!! (You may have to pry on it slightly!)
5. The switch is held to the bezel with 2 screws!! And the wire will pull off!!
6. Shift into Reverse to put back!!! (Sometimes the lock rod will be kinda a PITA to get in the right slot putting back!!

Unread 07-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #20
gmjunkie