The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-21-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
stevecris
R&S C5

Name :
stevecris has disabled reputation
Default Raised Letters Front & Back White C5

I am looking to add colored letters to my white C5 - thinking Brake red, chrome or prism or other. Please post some pics of yours.

thanks
Attached Images

stevecris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Here's my . I like the way it looks now. The white body and red tail lights set off the rear end. I know the tempation is there though to fill in the "corvette". Just my opinion. Oh, by the way, it looks like the hatch isn't closed evenly on the right side in this photo. Might just be the way the car is sitting but it looks like the edge is up on the right.
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Actually I really like the contrasting letters. Maybe it's just an ego thing, but you just can't read "CORVETTE" from 50 ft away the way it comes stock from the factory.

When I thought of doing this to my Z, the wife at first was dead set against it. Finally she just said "well it is YOUR car, so go ahead if you really want to." Very quickly she came to agree with me, but I could see admitting it was tough on her.... Now when we see another vette on the street that does NOT have the lettering, she will comment that it doesn't look right to her any longer.

Unread 06-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
stevecris
R&S C5

Name :

Thanks for the comments. Yes the Hatch was not closed properly. I got the camera out of one of the rear storage areas and didn't close it all the way.

The two posts pretty well reflect exactly how I feel about it any any two different points in a day. My wife wants me to go with letters - prism? well the ones that change colors depending on the angle they are viewed. I kind of like a polished stainless steel 1/2 the time and none the other.

Well I ordered SS from Inserts and plan to get a set of prism as well. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Thanks for the comments and the picture!
Unread 06-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I really considered getting red lettering because I felt it would go well with the red coloration of the taillights. I think a white car would look excellent with the red lettering, personally. Maybe if you have Photoshop or something you could play around with dubbing in colors into the photo so you could actually see what it looks like.

Oh and one other thing. The toughest part of putting the letters on will be those center legs of the letter "E". Mine aren't lined up perfect and they will catch the reflections differently from the rest of the letter. But they are tough to hold onto and set up before pressing them into place. Also, but a tarp or something below that area before you start. If you drop a letter and it goes sticky side down, you don't want it picking grit off of the driveway.

Let us know how it goes!
Unread 06-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
naples

Name :
naples is on a distinguished road

Cyberdine graphics has just come out with some new chrome letters. If they are anything like their steering wheel decal it would be top quality
Check out their website;www.cyberdinegraphics.com
Unread 07-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #7
stevecris
R&S C5

Name :

I received the two sets of SS letters from Inserts on Friday and started to prepare for putting them on. I started with the front license plate as I could remove it and go into the AC and take my time. I have to say that they came out even better than I expected. You have to bend the V a little in order for it to fit properly. Inserts has a good product as they fit well, provide good insturction and some primer and look extraordinary.

Today I prepared and installed the rear bumper letters - I can't believe how great they look. I took Rich's advice and dropped a tarp down. Really had to take my time to line things up pretty well. These 52 year old eyes are not really up to the task of removeing that darn paper off the two sided tape a then lining things up nicely, but I took my time and things went very well. Rich was right that the E's where the most diffiuclt and took the most time.

I also had the rear bumper sagging on the right and lifting on the left (you can see it in the pictures above), so I got the fiberglass reinforcements from Elkers and fitted them this weekend. They took a little work as you have to do some shaping with a file in order to get them to fit correctly and kind of snap into place. It's pretty easy to file the fiberglass and the powder on the edge leave marks when pressed in place that will indicate exactly where to file. I'll post some pics tomorrow so you guys can see and let me know what you think. Maybe I'm going a bit off the deepend, but I think it looks much better when both sides are straight and look the same.

This sure is a slippery slop as the SS letters now would look better with a chrome C5 emblem instead of the black one that's on there. And now the whole car seems to be evolving to white grey and SS/chrome scheme.

I saw in another forum where one of the member just replaced the front sided yellow turn signal lights with ones that are all white, but use orange coated bulbs. The all white look with the SS & Chrome is slick. Good thing I can't find the white lights anywhere.

OK for now, but I'll be writing soon t see if anyone knows how to remove the emblems on the front and rear and mount new ones. That's for another post and another weekend.

here are a couple of pics... got to get better ones

Attached Images

Last edited by stevecris; 07-04-2006 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Add Pictures