The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

View Poll Results: How are gasoline prices affecting your driving habits?
Not at all. I drive just like I used to do. 33 62.26%
Reduced driving somewhat, but not a lot. 18 33.96%
Driving has been a LOT but still do some fun trips. 1 1.89%
Only drive when absolutely necessary and no FUN trips. 1 1.89%
Don't drive at all and use public transportation until this ends. 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 01-07-2008, 01:57 AM   #31
LMB 4 ME

Name :
LMB 4 ME is on a distinguished road

Although my 06 A6 is my DD I only drive 7-8K a year and use only 7-8 gallons of gas a week. If petro goes to $5 a gallon I will still drive the same distance and with the same habbits.
LMB 4 ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #32
LEJ ZO6
LEJ ZO6

Name :
LEJ ZO6 has disabled reputation
Default Who cares about $3 gas when driving a $50K Corvette?

If I were concerned about the price of gas I'd conserve in other ways and probably wouldn't have spent $50K for a Corvette.
LEJ ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #33
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
(Wondering how this post popped up under "new post" today) My driving hasn't changed, but I only use my cars to haul kids to Soccer practice and Kenpo twice a week. I use my company car the rest of the time. I fill up the truck and the Vette once or twice a month. The thing that ticks me off is the price of diesel fuel! Why is it 30-40 cents a gallon higher than regular gas? I've heard the old excuse that it competes with home heating oil in the winter. If we know this why don't we make more of it so the supply is not so tight? Oh, that's right, then the oil companies wouldn't make so much money! Those XXXholes are laughing all the way to the bank!
My "guess" and it's only a SWAG, is that most diesels get double + the mileage of most gas powered vehicles of similar design. For example, my 98 Landcruiser gets 9.5 regardless. A Diesel version of the same vehicle gets upward of 25-30!!

I just figured the companies jacked up the prices to make up the difference in use

As far as my driving habits? I probably drive less for work (I now deligate a lot of this BS), and when I have to take out of town business trips, unless I know I'm going to the boonies or the weather absolutely sucks!, I take the vette. It again get's double+ the fuel economy

A little off topic, but where do train in Kenpo up there?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #34
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
(Wondering how this post popped up under "new post" today)
Someone probably voted in the poll but didn't leave a written message. I see it all the time in the radar detector thread poll. In that one I think yankeedad was the last one to post but it still pops up in new posts sometimes. I think they vote and stop there but it makes the post show new.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #35
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

When I first acquired my BB I recall asking, what (pray tell) might I expect for gas milage from this beasty? An unremembered friend on the forum advised me and I quote "Its not milage you get from a BB 454 it's smilage". And I live by those words of wisdom each day.

When I want to drive I drive. Carrie might have to eat peanut butter and sardines for a week but "Goldie" will be driven (she didn't hear me say that did she?)
Unread 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #36
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
...When I want to drive I drive. Carrie might have to eat peanut butter and sardines for a week but "Goldie" will be driven (she didn't hear me say that did she?)
Ssshhhhh!! You're secrets safe here....
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #37
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

My European patients think gas is cheap in the USA. One of my patients from England said he paid the equivalent of $8.00/gallon there! I guess from that perspective, we do have a good deal. I wish it was below 2.75 like everyone else but what the heck are we going to do if have to pay Euorpean prices in the future. May be a good time to pump up my bicycle tires!
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #38
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I think it gripes about anyone's butt to pay so much for gasoline, and probably especially so if you are REQUIRED to drive a certain amount for a living. Since I basically work out of my home, I really don't drive all that much, so a gastank full of gasoline goes a long way, timewise. Heck, we have a Chevy Astro van that only uses a couple of tankfulls a year, since we don't drive it that much. But getting that 30 gallon tank filled is a real sock on the chin when it happens.

Any tax experts out there? Any way I could draft members here to put CorvetteFlorida stickers on their cars and have them deduct some of the cost of driving by helping to advertise this site? I would imagine they would have to show that it was a method of generating income to offset the expense, so I would need to find a way to offer them some sort of financial reward. Maybe free contributor memberships for new members they get signed up? Heck, I'd be willing to do it if it wouldn't become a colossal headache managing it.....
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #39
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
My "guess" and it's only a SWAG, is that most diesels get double + the mileage of most gas powered vehicles of similar design. For example, my 98 Landcruiser gets 9.5 regardless. A Diesel version of the same vehicle gets upward of 25-30!!

I just figured the companies jacked up the prices to make up the difference in use

As far as my driving habits? I probably drive less for work (I now deligate a lot of this BS), and when I have to take out of town business trips, unless I know I'm going to the boonies or the weather absolutely sucks!, I take the vette. It again get's double+ the fuel economy

A little off topic, but where do train in Kenpo up there?
I had a 1988 Chevy C2500 with a gas 350 with the 5 speed transmission that got 19 mpg empty. It didn't pull loads really well (13K pounds) so I bought a 1998 6.5 H.D. Turbo Diesel with an automatic trans. It pulls MUCH better than the gas burner but only gets 17 mpg empty. (wish it was a standard shift) The diesel weighs almost 6K pounds empty whereas the old gas burner was around 4200 pounds. I'm not really complaining about the mileage, a friend had a truck like mine with a 454 and only got 10 mpg. Even paying 30-40 cents a gallon more it's cheaper to drive my diesel than his 454. So I just drive the Vette more, it gets 19.5 mpg. Only problem is when I take both my boys to Kenpo or soccer we have to take the truck.

We go to Masters Shaolin Kenpo here in Crawfordville, which is affiliated with Kenpo Karate and Kickboxing Center Inc. of Tallahassee. Our Sensei is Carmen Williams, 3rd degree Black Belt. KKKCI is owned by Master Jerry Ingle, 6th degree Blackbelt, and we test with him. If you're familiar with Kenpo I'm sure you've heard of him.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #40
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Ever since gas went over 1.40 a gal i've been pissed. But i only drive one mile to work and one mile back, and do a Vette cruise once a month.

I put just over 3k miles on my 06 a6 as of today, bought it Jan 6th 07.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote