The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 03-09-2006, 01:54 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default E3 Spark Plugs

OK I admit, I am just fascinated by high tech doodads and toys. While waiting for my LGM LT Pro headers to get Jet Hot Coated and shipped to me, I figure I might as well replace the spark plugs an ignition wires at the same time. They are probably original equipment, and with 62K miles on the clock, I figure it can't hurt.

So I've been looking at options for my motor. The tech guy at Champion Chevrolet suggests AC Delco Iridiums (41-985). I checked around on some forums and the consensus is that it is a good plug, and many people were also recommending the NGK TR55 or NGK TR55IX (Iridium). Put I caught some references to a different syle spark plug called the E3. The model number for my Z is E3.62, in case anyone is interested. Now I really couldn't find too much hands on testing of this plug, but the one or two that I did said it seemed no worse then the other options and maybe even slightly better, but too soon to tell. Checking Goodle, there seemed to be a fair number of patent references as well as some data about various local governments discussing changing over ALL their spark plug needs to this particular style spark plug. Hmm... interesting.

Well I searched around and found that the price was equivalent to what I was going to have to pay for the Iridium AC-Delcos or the NGKs, so what the heck. I ordered a set of them. Might be a few weeks yet before my headers come in, and I can see what is up with them, but honestly, since I will be having the headers put on at the same time, I doubt there will be anything much I can report on them about giving me any changes in performance. At least not positively so. Something negatively resulting from the plugs would certainly stand out, I would think, not to mention I would have to go through a big heaping of "I told you so" looks from the Chevy tech every time I see him for all eternity.

Anyway, check out this link: http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/

What do you think? Best thing since sliced bread, or just another gimmick?
Attached Images

Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
Rich Z

Well, as a followup, I have these spark plugs installed in my Z as of last week. So far, so good, I guess. I didn't expect any sort of earth shattering difference, and of course, installing headers, MSD wires, etc. at the same time would most certainly mask any minor differences anyway.

But I will say that me Z idles much smoother then it did prior to the install, and throttle response appears to be much improved. I used to have a very slight hesitation coming off of a dead stop at low rpms, and that is now gone as well.

So at the very least, I don't believe these are any worse then any other plug out there, and since price seems comparable for a set, I would have to say that I have no regrets deciding to use them. At least not for now.

That being said, I guess I have to admit that I am not certain what I would have gotten with badly designed or manufactured spark plugs. Missing? Detonation/pinging? Loss of power? Beats me. I just was willing to try them, for no other reason, I guess, then the fact that I like new technological doodads. The hype sounded reasonable to me, and although I couldn't find a wealth of positive reviews, neither could I find ANY negative ones either. And you know what they say: "Faint heart never won fair maiden", or something like that.....
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
06c6corvette

Name :
06c6corvette has disabled reputation
Default plugs

Rich,
Should you decide on a super charger you will have to change to a colder plug
06c6corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Corvette Concepts

Name :
Corvette Concepts is on a distinguished road

I met the E3 guys at SEMA a couple of years ago. After speaking with them for a period of time I offered to do testing for them and report to the Corvette community with the results. They had an attitude about "giving" anyone product so I decided I wouldn't go further...too bad that they were so short sighted.......

Corvette Concepts
Delco/Mongoose Performance
Corvette Ranch
Sarasota, Florida 34240
941-322-0577
Corvette Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06c6corvette
Rich,
Should you decide on a super charger you will have to change to a colder plug
Yeah.... Colder plugs came with the STS kit, so those are now in the engine. I guess I should have gotten colder E3 plugs for Greg to put in for me, but that was just one more ball to juggle that I dropped.
Unread 03-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
Corvette Concepts

Name :
Corvette Concepts is on a distinguished road

In my past spark plug research I have found that having more than one electrode can cause interference with ignition of fuel. I'm not saying that this plug does that, I'm just saying that in the past too multiple or large electrodes has created issues that have to be reviewed.

Corvette Concepts
Delco/Mongoose Performance
Corvette Ranch
Sarasota, Florida 34240
941-322-0577
Corvette Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Mortaci

Name :
Mortaci is on a distinguished road

I would love to see Consumer Reports do a test on all these trick plugs out there and see unbiased reporting on them once and for all.
Mortaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

One thing to remember about "spark" , is that it will arc to the nearest ground. Multiple grounding legs make no more spark than a single leg since electricity will flow to the closest common ground, thereby eliminating all other grounding legs on the sparkplug.

Spark on...
Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
Rich Z

The design of the E3 plug that intrigued me the most was the fact that there is a direct path STRAIGHT out from the plug electrode allowing the ignition to propagate straight down into the cylinder instead of around the ground electrode as in most other spark plugs. I did read up on this, and the design philosophy was sound, and there were NO negative comments anywhere at all about it in my searchings. So in effect, it's not the actual spark that is of interest (concerning multiple paths), but the flame front that the spark causes that attracted my attention.

But yeah, I would certainly be interested in more independent testing....

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/
Attached Images

Unread 04-02-2007, 04:14 AM   #10
LMB 4 ME

Name :
LMB 4 ME is on a distinguished road

Looks like a great idea but the part that worries me is when the rep. would not give the guy one to test after he mentioned he was going to post the results on a corvette web site.
LMB 4 ME is offline   Reply With Quote