The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 12-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #2201
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
well that's really wrapped up and pretty. if it's clutch noise, i wouldn't worry about it for now.
Yeah, it's been holding together for three years now, so I guess I can hold out till it either blows up or gets completely unbearable.
Unread 12-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #2202
Rich Z

In the meantime, I am doing some research on possibly replacing the LG Motorsports headers when it comes time to replace that Centerforce clutch. Of course, I am looking at what replacement clutch looks the best for me to get.

And while doing this research on headers, I noticed something.

Notice the difference in these two pics? One is of my C5Z and the other is a pic that Robert took of a header install he did recently.

Apparently not only did someone neglect to put the bracket back onto the bell housing that the headers bolt to for support, the attachment point on the passenger side header was cut off completely.

Another job well done by the butchers of Blountstown and Thomasville, apparently.
Unread 12-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #2203
Rich Z

BTW, those black headers are from Hinson Motorsports (http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-860...-w-x-pipe.aspx).

The thing that looks attractive to me about them is that it looks like I could take off the bell housing without having to loosen up the headers if I need to do any further work with the clutch in the future. At the very least, the tunnel plate and torque tube could come down without touching the headers, and possibly the lower portion of the bell housing as well. Plus they are 1 7/8 inch primaries on those headers, whereas the LGM Pros I have are 1 3/4 inches, if I remember correctly.

Not only are the LGM headers smaller in diameter, but the welding job done at the flanges leaves a LOT to be desired, as the welds make the headers even more restrictive at that point.

So yeah, while I am at it, putting on a new set of headers would probably be wise to do, I think.
Unread 12-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #2204
Rich Z

Finally got around to taking the C5Z out for a drive today. Delay was because of two things: (1) battery on my cell phone had died and I was reluctant to take the car out without being able to call in if it died on me on the road, and (2) came down with a cold and am only now feeling half human again.

I set up a GoPro with a remote microphone down on the floor next to the closest point to where the clutch is located. Drove it for 37 miles and I didn't hear a thing myself while driving. Nada. No squealing, no strange noises at all. However when I process the video/audio, there is a very faint squeal being picked up when I pulled away from the garage, and then when pulling out of the driveway onto the roadway. Both were from a dead stop.

Heck, I don't know. Maybe there is sand getting in between the clutch disk and either the pressure plate and/or the flywheel. Maybe I've just been babying the clutch too much and it's not properly broken in. Maybe my clutch technique just needs some work. I do tend to slip the clutch quite a bit by slowly releasing the clutch pedal. Maybe I need to be quicker and more abrupt with the foot action....

If it would stay like this I wouldn't see any sense to pulling out the drivetrain at all. Of course, I just ordered a transmission jack, but I'm guessing that sooner or later I'm going to be needing it. But honestly, the way my lower back has been feeling the last couple of days, the idea of doing this job doesn't thrill me in the least. I can see that I am going to be struggling just to put together that transmission jack when it comes in.

Anyway, beats the hell out of me.
Unread 12-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #2205
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road

i still wouldn't worry about it. i'm sure the noise is annoying you.
Unread 12-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #2206
Rich Z

Yes, it is annoying. And disconcerting. I can't redevelop any trust in the car, thinking that someday something will break, leaving me stranded somewhere, and the noise will have been a warning I should have heeded. Kind of a premonition of hindsight sort of thing.
Unread 12-16-2015, 02:47 AM   #2207
Rich Z

Still digging around, learning more about clutch options. Found this thread particularly interesting..... http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ch-owners.html

This article had some enlightening info in it as well..... http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/130...-need-to-know/
Unread 01-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #2208
Rich Z

Got the exhaust bracket in today. Not sure I'll install it until I do the clutch replacement. And that will depend on how frequently I hear the Centerforce one squealing. Been raining off and on for a while now, so haven't had the car out to see how it goes.

Doesn't look like it's used, but apparently rattled around in a parts drawer for a while.
Unread 03-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #2209
schpenxel

Name :
schpenxel has disabled reputation

It's been a while! I saw your post over on the Hinson header thread on CF. I had been eye'ing a set for mine but I think I'm going to just stick with C6 Z06 manifolds/cats/axle back and maybe remove the cats (I have another sets that have been gutted) for any racing events. They flow well and the cats work great.. and from the H pipe back is full 3". And they were fairly cheap.

Any new developments on the car? I haven't read all of the most recent posts, looks like you were having a clutch noise though? When was it happening? I've been through 3 clutches so I've learned more than I would have liked.. I ended up with a Monster LT1-S (uses a C7 pressure plate/friction disc with a custom flywheel to make it fit on LS1/2/3/7 engines). Works great, feels stock.

Anyways, just thought I'd stop by and see how things were going.
schpenxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #2210
Rich Z

I actually ordered a set of motor mounts from Hinson, but when I saw the invoice fine print claiming that that do not warranty ANY of their products and claiming that I admit to illegally a car with their parts installed on it, I told them to take a hike. Hope I don't have to eat my words if it turns out that I actually need their shorter motor mounts.....

Actually have the exhaust off of the car right now and planning to pull the headers off tomorrow. I am replacing the starter. Apparently the C5 starters have a substantial potential problem with one of the two mounting flanges being weaker than the other. If the weaker flange were to let go, the resulting stresses on the remaining bolt tends to break off the mounting section of the block. Then you have BIG problems. So better to play it safe and put a better starter in.

Also have to replace those Pfadt urethane motor mounts since the one on the driver side failed. Looks like the urethane insulator just broke, so there is likely metal to metal contact. Perhaps this is even contributing to that drive train noise I hear. Probably not, but that sure would be nice if replacing the motor mounts makes the noise go away.

When pulling the spark plug wires off, the terminal in the wire on one of the plugs came out. Doesn't look very easy to repair, so I ordered a new set. I did have some older Granatelli wires in the storage cabinet, but after thinking about the possible abuse they might have taken at the hands to the Harwood/Scott team, I decided to just go ahead and order a new set.

Also found some interesting info concerning spark plugs that I will expand upon later that leads me to believe that replacing the NGK TR6 spark plugs with iridium ACDelcos might be a real wise idea. So got them on order too.

Actually depends on how easy those LG Motorsports headers come out as to whether I will buy new headers or not. The new version of Kooks headers are supposed to be very easy in and out. So we will see...

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports