The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
dvdcta

Name :
dvdcta has disabled reputation
Default cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Hell, I can't even SIGN my name the same way twice, even if I try. I always get a chuckle out of those electronic signature gizmos the stores use now to collect the credit card data. It ALWAYS accepts my signature no matter what I scribble there! So what's the point? If someone were to take a copy and ask me if that were truly my signature, I would have to say "How the hell do I know? It just looks like some scribble that anyone could have done!"

as long there is money in the bank they don't care!!!!
dvdcta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #12
vette653

Name :
vette653 is on a distinguished road

Guys I hate to tell ya but if there going to get ya, there going to get ya..sign/don't sign it don't matter. All they really need is the c.c number and they order what ever they want over the net ..no signature involved. That's what happenend to me. The C.C companies are always trying to fool proof things..mother's maiden name etc. but we are all vulnerable unless you live in a cave and have no credit. JMHO
vette653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
dvdcta

Name :
Default cards

you got that right !!!
Unread 07-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
Vettephysician

Name :
Vettephysician has disabled reputation
Default Dirtbags in South Beach

A few years back, I went down to South Beach, and went into what I thought was a fairly nice restaurant. After the meal, I gave the waiter my mastercard. He took it, and was gone for a long time (probably more than 15 or 20 minutes?). Place wasn't all that busy. I got a little suspicious, but then he came back, I paid and that was it. A couple of weeks later, I get my bill and there's several charges for gas in Coral Gables, and a deep sea fishing charge for about 300 bucks. I live in Tallahassee. I immediately called the credit card company, explained that these were bogus charges, etc. The woman asked me: "did you lose your card, do you still have it in your possession?" I said, yes, I have it, and explained that I had recently been to South Beach, Miami area, etc. She immediately killed the account, they issued me a new card, and I was charged nothing...not bad. Turned out the dirtballs at the restaurant were using a skimmer, and made a copy of my card. The company said they'd start an "investigation," but I never heard from them again. The scumbags are getting pretty wily now when it comes to credit card/id theft I suppose, and this was a few years ago. Fortunately, it hasn't happened again, but, if a waiter takes too long with my card now, I'll get up and follow him to wherever he's ringing up the bill, or talk with the manager. Damn. Can't trust anybody anymore!
Vettephysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #15
86DSOMVERT
Maui No Ka Oi

Name :
86DSOMVERT is on a distinguished road

As taken from http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan...ance_guide.pdf

“See ID” Some customers write “See ID” or “Ask for ID” in the signature panel, thinking that this is a deterrent against fraud or forgery; that is, if their signature is not on the card, a fraudster will not be able to forge it. In reality, criminals don’t take the time to practice signatures: they use cards as quickly as possible after a theft and prior to the accounts being blocked.

They are actually counting on you not to look
at the back of the card and compare signatures—they may even have access to counterfeit identification with a signature in their own handwriting.

“See ID” or “Ask for ID” is not a valid substitute for a signature. The customer
must sign the card in your presence, as stated above.

Requesting
Cardholder ID
When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa
rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants
cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance.
Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal for merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt.

I recently had a problem at the Atlanta Marquis. They insisted that they have my ID. Nope not happening. They said we can't check you in. Called VISA and Marriott Rewards Visa got the guy on the phone. Said they would not accept my Visa card that is signed on the back and is otherwise valid without providing Photo ID. Visa and the bank confirmed that it is against Visa/Mastercard regulations that they have set up with merchants and that they could not force me to provide ID.

Went back to the counter and observed the desk clerk entering the guest's DL info that was behind me, entering his Alabama Drivers License information into the computer. Said it was policy!!

The problem I have with showing photo ID or in the case of Doctors, or anybody making a photocopy of my ID, not just looking at it to confirm my ID, is that I was the victim of an ID theft from a Hotel clerk some 12 years ago, who stole my Identity and ran up 190K worth of charges, by simply making a photo copy of my drivers license, which had everything on it that he needed including the SSN. Fighting 3.5 years with the credit bureaus makes one paranoid and non trusting of anybody who asks for it except for johnny law.

1986 Corvette Convertible Pace Car Replica #5410 Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic
2008 Impala SS LS4 Magnaflow Catback CAI
Florida Keys Corvette Club
Nathan Independent Travel Agent
--------------------------------------------------
I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.

Last edited by 86DSOMVERT; 08-24-2008 at 06:40 AM.
86DSOMVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #16
dvdcta

Name :
Default card

I still say as long as there is money in the bank they don't care!!!!!