The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 07-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #11
sglfladad

Name :
sglfladad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCswm
I'm packing boxes between posts .... as of 7/15 I'll be living in St. Petersburg
So welcome to the tampa/st pete area! I don't know much about cruise in's or such in st pete, but if it's not south st pete..a short drive across the bridge and up the veterans expressway there are some pretty good gatherings. I'm pretty much a newbie..but always feel welcome.
sglfladad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #12
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Chuck is right. Here in Tampa, a short 30 minute (or less) drive from St. Pete via the Howard Franklin Bridge (2-75) and the veterans, is a local cruise in at the Insty Tune and Lube on Dale mabry. There's food and refreshments, music (thanks for the amplifier Chuck) and cars. Mostly vettes, but theres a local F-body guy that joins us regularly as well as a few other non-vettes that show up on occasion.

Sometimes we;ll get together with Andreh the local pro-wrench, and do a mod or repair to someones car, and othertimes, just hang out and BS.

We're usually there about 2-3 hours and you can come and go as you like. No fees, no BS, just good friends with a common interest.

It's also a great way to begin new friendships You'll find this crowd to be very helpful to one another

A bit further (about an hour total depending on your point of origin) there's the vette gathering on Friday at Fermans in Brandon. Easiest way is probably 2-75 to I-4, east to 301 and south to SR 60.

Again, a come and go as you like atmosphere.

I was working with a local decades old 'Crusin establishment on hosting a car show/cruise in as you mentioned. This is one of the places where it all started in Tampa. I kind of let it go when the old F-body group fell apart. Probably going to try it again since they were VERY receptive to the idea

There's always Setzerson saturday night after the get together on Dale Mabry. I avoid him because he's obnoxious and microphonitis That and he's been an azz in the past to a few vette members and some late model folks and i just don't care for that. I get enough of the jerks at work.

There's also the Burger King on 49th street in Pinellas Park on saturday nights. same kind of environment and as with all the others (except Setzers), there's no fee involved. Come and go as you like.

Sometimes the group from Insty Tune will caravan over to Pinellas Park for the show.

Let me know when you're in the area and I'll set you up with some events and some people, I really think you'll enjoy.

Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 08:00 AM   #13
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z

Maybe I can get Connie to plan a surprise birthday dinner for me somewhere and you are welcome to join us.
Unread 07-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #14
fuzzy dice

Name :
fuzzy dice has disabled reputation

I go to a cruise in on the first saturday of the month in Sanford by the mall...not every month but now and then...there is a great cruise in over in New Smyrna Beach but it is on the second saturday of the month and I race in the Summit Series at Orlando Speedworld the second and third Saturdays every month till October...I'll attend after that...they get up to 700 hot rods in the cool months...
Unread 07-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
jcb_njb

Name : Jim Brackett
jcb_njb is on a distinguished road

There is a cruise-in at the Tower Shops in Davie every Friday evening. All types of cars, old, new, hot rods, military vehicles from WWII and usually a good showing for Vettes. Wifey and I go about every 6 weeks or so.
jcb_njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
329of1k

Name :
329of1k has disabled reputation

I'd like to do cruise-ins more often. I'm trying to make it to the Insty-Tune on Dale Mabry sometime.
Plant City and Dade City each have monthly car shows/cruise-ins. You'll find alot of the same cars at both of them but it's fun every now and then to go see what's around. Dade City is 1st Sat. of each month and Plant City is 3rd Sat. of each month.
Grand Sport #329
Valrico, FL
329of1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #17
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCswm
I'd like to hear more about your reptiles sometime
I'm an animal lover myself
If your an animal lover ,you'd love my two legged boxer.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #18
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Well, tell you what. The next cruise in for the club will be Saturday the 21rst (my birthday, coincidentally). Come on by, and even if no one else will talk to you, I will. I've only been to two of them myself, and have to admit that it is not easy to break the ice there. Not sure why that is, but it just seems that many people are reluctant to speak unless spoken to.

Maybe I can get Connie to plan a surprise birthday dinner for me somewhere and you are welcome to join us.
Happy birthday.(I can't make it)
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #19
Hardball

Name :
Hardball is on a distinguished road

I think there may be TOO many cruise ins and car shows. Hence they all get a little watered down. You can't be in 3 places at once.
Plus, I see more brand new, off the show room floor, Vettes at shows than older ones. I wish the show promoters would have more classes. How can a guy with a nice 75 coupe, driver, compete with a 70+ thousand dollar, ZO6 right off the show room floor?
Hardball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #20
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardball
I think there may be TOO many cruise ins and car shows. Hence they all get a little watered down. You can't be in 3 places at once.
Plus, I see more brand new, off the show room floor, Vettes at shows than older ones. I wish the show promoters would have more classes. How can a guy with a nice 75 coupe, driver, compete with a 70+ thousand dollar, ZO6 right off the show room floor?
Guess it depends on the type of show. I don't do "shows" where you place and compete for points unless it's just to hang out. At Setzers here in Tampa, if you show up you get a trophy. I have a shelf full of them. Looks cool but means absolutely nothing

I go for the comaraderie Hanging out with fellow gearheads and vette lovers...and friends.

I think the original post was regarding the old school "drive in" type shows. They weren't really "shows" as much as they were meeting spots.

We would all get to Big Boy or Steak & Shake around 7:30-8pm and come and go all night....just like the American Graffitti cruise in

It was great. You bench raced, looked at each others mods, ate, had some drinks (soft drinks) and then headed out for whatever...racing, movies, a little....well we won't go there...then you always came back at the end of the night for 1 last pass.....

I'd love to see this type of cruise in happen again

Instead of the static lets all sit around and you can't leave until the trophies are passed out type

Just my $.02

Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote