The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough
Default What happened?

Sunday evening my wife wanted to go get a Dr. Pepper fountain drink. I volunteered to drive her and decided to take the Corvette, as it hadn't been driven in a week or so. It fired right up (ran a little rough, but it does that when it's cold) and we got out on the road. It wasn't taking the gas, kind of like a carburated car "loading up" if you will, then it caught, with the accelerator pedal about half way down, and got side-ways on the road. My wife thought I did this on purpose. I was explaining that the car sometimes did this when the engine was cold, when I started hearing a buzzing noise from the center of the dash around the information center. Then the car shut off. I coasted to a stop on the side of the road and tried to restart it. The starter spun over just fine, but it did not attempt to fire off. I raised the hood and a quick inspection revealed a fused wire coming from the hot side of the battery was literally melting around the fuse. I removed the fuse (with pliers) that was black and partially melted and replaced it with one from the hatch. It was a 20 amp fuse. I have not had time to look into this any further. I'm wondering: 1. What fused link is this? 2. What caused it to get that hot? 3. Is a 20 amp fuse what was originally supposed to be installed on that fused link? 4. What was all that racket coming from the information center? I'm afraid to drive it at this point, even though it fired right up and I drove it home when I replace the 20 amp fuse.