The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 03-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road
Default Judging Classifications

Since a bad taste has been left on so many from last weeks show, I thought I would start this thread in hopes that we can come up with a fair and reasonable classifications that could be presented to all the clubs that judge shows as well as premium car show. The Classifications are as follows:

1. Cars less than 2 years.
2. Trailer Queens
3. All classes in 2 year intervals
4. Street Driven (What exterior surfaces are visible and whats visible inside with open door - no opening of compartments)
5. Original - 0 mods - All exterior & interior surfaces incl compartments
6. Semi-Custom - 0-4 mods - All exterior & interior surfaces incl compartments
7. Custom - over 5 mods - Everything/Everywhere
8. Concours - Every nook and cranny....

Add you .02 by all means...
Unread 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Sounds fair to me!!! Good idea.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Been doing judged shows since 1921 and it's tough to get good judges and classes.Your ideas seem to be valid
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
howard goldberg

Name :
howard goldberg has disabled reputation

you must have outside judges not judges from a local club as last week show was judges from corvette clubs by ecklers if they know you and your car is clean you win. i heard a few judges talk to people and say you won before they judges their car. you only go to have a good time not to win
howard goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation
Default I agree, these classes are most fair.

I also agree that the judging should be from outside source.....IF at all possible.
I also think the show at Celebration was a good location in that it was a semi netrual location so to speak. Not half way from coast to coast, but the distance better than driving from one to the other coast. Mickey land however on I-4 is the pit's as far as traffic is concerned but especially on Friday evening's.
There are a few Car show's here in Heathrow at the new Colonial Town center.
Plenty of Hotel's, places to eat, movie theater's and such. Seem's to be quite popular...........just food for thought.
I believe by what I've read from quite a few member's herein, there are quite a few of us old timer's at this sport of car show's and judging............myself, been there done it forever so it seem's. What I read here this week concerning the Celebration show only reminds me of 30+ years ago. Same ole same ole.Nothing's changed..same argument's.
Go racing...........then you'll know who's really 1st, 2nd, and 3rd...LOL.
spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 02:26 AM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Personally, I could do without the judging at shows completely. Too many feelings getting hurt, it seems. Is it really all that important to win a trophy?

Quite frankly, MY car is the best in my category. That's why I bought it and why I put the mods I did on it. If I wanted something different, it would BE something different. The car that wins "best of show" doesn't necessarily mean it is how I would want MY car to be at all.

I just enjoy looking at how other people have personalized their cars to match what THEY want it to be. That should be what is important. That the car is how YOU want it to be, not what you think it takes in order to win some trophy.

In my humble opinion, of course....
Unread 03-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation
Default Rich, Hip Hip.again I agree

There were many really sharp vettes at Celebration.
I really enjoyed the C5 mullemium Yellow decaled out #8 C5.R with wing GT street Vette. And a C5 black Z06 COM TEC prepaired out of Tampa.
But then, I'm more into racing and speed then polishing.
Again as I posted earlier, the C2 midyear owned by Scully? That is one beautiful Corvette. When one ownes such a car and takes the time and and a ton of money and LOVE for his Vette to do the total restoration..........
I can see why he'd be a little P-off.
Me? I'd rather blow the door's off my competition in battle. That's the real rush..........and there's NO judging involved. If you can't compete with the Big Dog's stay on the porch. Besides, love seeing the face and hear the Porsche driver's wine their hearts out..........not fair. Nothing like a a Vette w/ some HP to humble their spirit'sLOL
spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
Curacao
Island in the Caribbean.

Name : Timothy Halley
Curacao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Personally, I could do without the judging at shows completely. Too many feelings getting hurt, it seems. Is it really all that important to win a trophy?

Quite frankly, MY car is the best in my category. That's why I bought it and why I put the mods I did on it. If I wanted something different, it would BE something different. The car that wins "best of show" doesn't necessarily mean it is how I would want MY car to be at all.

I just enjoy looking at how other people have personalized their cars to match what THEY want it to be. That should be what is important. That the car is how YOU want it to be, not what you think it takes in order to win some trophy.

In my humble opinion, of course....
I agree 100%

-----
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Arrow NCCC

It's amazing that after every "judged" car show how much complaining goes on. I understand due to the fact that your Corvette is a very personal possession and one takes it as an affront when someone else "puts down" their car by not making it a winner. AND after every event someone always comes up with a more fair judging system. Since 1959 the National Council of Corvettes Clubs has consistently had judged car show and since 1959 has had a set of rules to help member (and non-member) clubs to host these shows. Presently there are 15 Regions, 269 clubs with over 16,500 members nationwide that present feed-back for this rule book. The reason is simple, when you attend a NCCC Sanctioned event; no matter where in the US, if you have a rule book you will know where your car will be placed (class) and how it will be judged. For a set of these rule please go to:

www.corvettesnccc.org

scroll down to "By-Laws, standing rules & competition manual" click on NCCC competition manual and click on Chapter 7. Concours D'Elegance. There in several pages is a compilation of 49 years of experience in not only car shows, but racing, rallying and all other forms of competition.

How your car is judged is never going to be perfect as long as humans are doing the judging. Either live with it or quit going to shows. I've been showing Corvettes since 1967 and in those 41 years have had my share of disappointments and winnings. Take the criticism, go home and fix the problem. And then go get 'em the next time!!!
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Pres. With an NCCC show you know what class your car should be placed in, what will be judged and how. Each car in the class is judged the same way by the same judges.