The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 01-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
Gary S

Name :
Gary S has disabled reputation

I'm sure all would agree that the forum is not looking for people to join just to sell something. On the other hand if someone does join to sell something that a good standing forum member wants then at least the good standing member benefits as well.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Vettes View Post
I know whenever I see a "for sale" post I always look to see how long the sender has been a member of the board. It does matter...
Unread 01-26-2008, 02:15 AM   #13
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Personally I think this site really has no business turning away any new members by requiring them to make a bunch of "me too!" posts before posting in the classifieds. Quite frankly, if they get responses to the classified post, they may even find it worthwhile sticking around. But if we go all hostile on him demanding they walk the line before being able to post, quite likely they will just figure this site is too small to worry about, and be gone COMPLETELY. Is that what we want to have happen?

I would rather take the chance that out of 10 people posting classified ads, that maybe one will take a look and stick around, then to not give them even a single reason to make ANY initial post and perhaps wind up not coming back at all.

Seriously being openly hostile to someone in this manner is just not going to be very conducive to a stranger coming here who might turn into a friend.

And from my point of view, if someone posts something I am interested in, I'm just glad it was posted here where I could see it.... Regardless of whether they have been here one hour, or was member #2 signing up right after me.
Unread 01-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

First things first...CAVEAT EMPTOR...Let the buyer beware!

I have purchased items from a low or no post seller before and had great results. I have been ripped off as well by high post offerings. It's the person not the post.

As to Riches statement, here's my $.02:

Quote:
Personally I think this site really has no business turning away any new members by requiring them to make a bunch of "me too!" posts before posting in the classifieds. Quite frankly, if they get responses to the classified post, they may even find it worthwhile sticking around. But if we go all hostile on him demanding they walk the line before being able to post, quite likely they will just figure this site is too small to worry about, and be gone COMPLETELY. Is that what we want to have happen?
I've been on sites where you had to have "X" number of posts before selling something or entering a "restricted" area. Easy enough..hey mom! Watch this......now let me in!...get the point?
Takes about 15 minutes max to accomplish this

A couple dozen BS smileys will usually do the trick. And unless the buyer is willing to LOOK at the quality of the sellers posts, he/she will think they've been active on the site.

Some sites, I've avoided altogether simply because the only interest I had was parts that someone there might need and none in the vehicle, etc that was the topic of the site. Why not let someone benefit from my sale?

As far as the site being too small...we are small in comparison to some others. But, there's QUALITY here and it's more like FAMILY than simply a site. People go out of thier way here to help and protect one another. If there's a problem with a sale item or someone knows of a particular (articulable) problem with a seller, it's easy to deal with. We look out for one another. If you feel hesitant to buy...don't! Gut instincts are usually somewhere near right! If the poster thinks we're too small, then he/she probably didn't want to be here in the first place

Quote:
I would rather take the chance that out of 10 people posting classified ads, that maybe one will take a look and stick around, then to not give them even a single reason to make ANY initial post and perhaps wind up not coming back at all.
Seriously being openly hostile to someone in this manner is just not going to be very conducive to a stranger coming here who might turn into a friend.
Every site is operated differently. Some are over regulated while others are playpens for idiots. Some are over moderated while others are not. It's up to the administrator of the site to choose the direction. If it works, great If not.
Being openly hostile to anyone for any reason IMO is not acceptable on a website. That's not to say I haven't done it, just that it's not acceptable.
On another site, I had a long time member disrespect my family and children openlyGod help him if I'd been within striking distance! So I opened up on the forum. Needless to say, it was locked and deleted. We were not banned but we both heard from one of the administrators This guy is one of only 2 people I've EVER placed on my IGNORE list

Quote:
And from my point of view, if someone posts something I am interested in, I'm just glad it was posted here where I could see it.... Regardless of whether they have been here one hour, or was member #2 signing up right after me.
I have to agree with this point. As mentioned before, I've on occasion found myself left (or saddled) with things I knew little about and had absolutely no interest in or need for. I've gone to websites interested in these things just to get rid of them to someone who hopefully can get some good use out of them. I've done my BS posts to get in on some and on others, I jsut walked away....thier loss

My $.02 is let them post and watch whats being sold...Problem...let someone know
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
329of1k

Name :
329of1k has disabled reputation

Well said Rich Z and Shadow.
I know I don't have a whole lot of posts here and I am more of a lurker but I do enjoy reading alot of things and not responding.
I currently have a post in the classifieds and would be turned off if I had to make x amount of posts to be able to offer something.
I agree, if someone had something that you wanted and it was a fair price wouldn't you want to know about it??
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just a different perspective.
Grand Sport #329
Valrico, FL
329of1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 329of1k View Post
Well said Rich Z and Shadow.
I know I don't have a whole lot of posts here and I am more of a lurker but I do enjoy reading alot of things and not responding.
I currently have a post in the classifieds and would be turned off if I had to make x amount of posts to be able to offer something.
I agree, if someone had something that you wanted and it was a fair price wouldn't you want to know about it??
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just a different perspective.

Thanks Andy and thats the point. Everyones opinion here is welcomed

I'd like to be "able" to see something for sale even from a newbie. You never know when that "just right" thing is going to pop up or from where?

There are alot of people just like you on this and other sites, that prefer to read than post. Although we'd like to hear from more fo them, it's all good in the hood
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #17
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Rick View Post
I know I have no financial interest in Corvette Florida
What's that got to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Rick View Post
so I know my thoughts don't amount to anything, just my opinion.
Everyone's thoughts are appreciated here, that's why there's a SUGGESTION BOX forum.

Sorry for the edits.