The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 02-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough
Default thermostat question??????????

I've been noticing different posts about 160 and 180 degree thermostats. What's wrong with the factory one? Aren't these engines designed to run with the factory stat or am I misssing something here. I do notice that the transmission area by my right leg feels warm in my 07 vert. Is this normal? Will a lower stat solve this? Thanks for your opinions in advance.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Cool 160 = 172

As soon as I moved to Florida from Ohio the first thing I did to my '86 was replace the thermostat with a 160. The only reason GM puts in a 195 is to heat up the engine quicker to fire off the cats. I do not like the small difference between 195 and 235 (danger zone). I would rather have that larger difference of 160 to 235. For some reason the 160 in my '86 is a true 160 (according to the guage) but when I replaced the 195 in my '03 with a 160 it reads 172 on the digital read out. Either way I gained peace of mind and that is one less thing to worry about. Plus it is about the easiest item on a Vette to replace! Some people say you should reprogram the fans but I never did. Good luck!
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the Info Pres.
Unread 02-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

I don't believe the car will run much cooler with a 160 degree t/stat unless you reprogram the fans.It will just take a little longer to get up to operating temp. and may run cooler on the open highway...JMO.. I have heard other C6 owners comment about the heat you are talking about so I would assume that is normal
Unread 02-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
Default Mark,

[quote=I do notice that the transmission area by my right leg feels warm in my 07 vert. Is this normal? Will a lower stat solve this? Thanks for your opinions in advance.[/QUOTE]

I have an '05, A4, C6, and my leg gets really warm up against the center counsel.
I always thought the heat was generated from the exhaust system.? At least, that's what I remember reading on the "CF".
Unread 02-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
Default Mark,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Here's a few quotes from the "CF" regarding the Tunnel Heat...

I installed an Elite ABS tunnel plate. The plate is 1/4" thick aluminum with ceramic coating and a thermal barrier added. It virtually eliminated the heat from my center console. Was definitely worth the money - about a $150 - which is loose change on these cars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put in the Thermal ABS of Aluminum tunnel plate from Elite Engineering and it helped to reduce the console heat. It didn't completely get rid of all the heat in the console as it still has some warmth, but it reduced it to the point where it was livable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have had great success at reducing the tunnel heat AND stiffening the chassis with our "new" Thermal Abs.

This is our standard 1/4" aluminum Tunnel Plate with a special Thermal Overlay to reduce the amount of heat transfer into the console area.

It really does the trick
Attached Thumbnails

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i PUT 2 stock tunnel plates on,1 sprayed with 1200 degree paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by water boy
400 HP will have its trade offs.

WB

Yes, there is a lot of waste heat from a big motor. The reports of heat over in the z06 section are even worse like melted carpet!

IMO it's not a trade off due to engine size it's all about GM saving money and know that loyal vette buyers will put up with the result. The factory could have specified a thicker plate like Elite's . The incremental cost would have been relatively small I think. Same labor to make it, handle it, transport it, and install it. Just more for the cost of materials.

But they chose to use a thin cheap cover material. I doubt it's a design defect rather a clear in your face example of the result of saving money at the expense of the buyer.

just my opinion

What I can suggest regarding this problem is get a tunnel heat shield, which will cover the tunnel.

I bro...
ynkedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

Mark:

I think the tunnel heat is normal, although I don't notice it my C6 as much as I did it my C5. This is fixed by the tunnel plate or other insulators as described above.

I love my 160 deg. stat and now find my cruising temps are 178-180 as opposed to 198-200 before. The temps at idle or in traffic will remain the same until the fan settings are adjusted. The engines are designed to run at the higher temps to help burn hydrocarbons from the gas to help with EPA compliance. I just feel the temps made possible by the 160 stat are better in FL where we have much hotter weather...just don't need the additional heat.

Ted
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
FRC Tom

Name : Thomas Feuerherm
FRC Tom is on a distinguished road

I perfer the 180 stat and like to keep the ect at 185.
The C5 fan controls can be set to come on at any temp but the C6 fans work on percentage sstarting at 192 degrees.

C5 fans

C6 fans
FRC Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
davekp

Name :
davekp has disabled reputation

I just went through the whole thermostat thing in my C-6. I guarantee you that a 180 stat will not let you run at 189 at cruise conditions. I was able to get 189-190 with a Vinci 170 stat. A 160 stat allows 181 cruise temps.
davekp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Default A/C?

Dave: Are you running your A/C? I guarantee that my '86 will run all day, on the road, at 160 and my '03 will run at 172. BUT, turn on the A/C and the '86 will shoot up to 186 and the '03 will go to 185. These are readings off the digital dash. The '86 does not have an "auto" setting and I never use that setting on my '03, so these are manual settings.
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote